Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to find car insurance

Options
  • 19-02-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    May by someone can help with info.
    I have a full eu license, live and drive in Ireland since 2005.
    In 2016 ends my last insurance that has 2yers ncb. So now it's 0.
    My wife just go full Irish licence.
    How we can get good price? Call them and what to say...
    Only 2 companies give online quotes 2250euro but I put the 2y ncb, suppose it will be higher.
    Is there any secrets to make price lower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LediVal

Update...
    Things not good. Phone to ins companies and they all say NO we can't give you a quote because of your vehicle and your ncb expired....I have 30yrs my driving license..15 of which I'm in Ireland.
    Why they say on what car I should drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

How can your NCB expire? Did you make a claim?

Go to a broker

troyzer wrote: »

No, I mean that last confirmation letter of ncb dated 2016. Because of gap 2,5yr.

Go to a broker

Called chill-say no
    Topinsure also-no

• Advertisement

LediVal wrote: »
    No, I mean that last confirmation letter of ncb dated 2016. Because of gap 2,5yr.

So you haven't been insured since 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

NCB's expire when you don't take out insurance for 2 years

So you haven't been insured since 2016?

Yes, and now it's ncb 0.
    But I'm not a Lerner...
    Driving 30yrs...
    They say I should take another car...
    2006 BMW 2.0 they will not insure..
    I cant understand why they choose on what car I should drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your best bet is call into a local smaller independent brokers and bring your details with you.

Insurance companies don’t really want to be covering you as your an unknown for last two years and so seem as a huge risk.

Aparantly the fraudulent claims are seen on policies taken out by people just rocking in off the street with no history same as yourself.

A small broker may know how to get the best price but it will be in the €2k region. They would advise on best age and size of car to get the best deal.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    NCB's expire when you don't take out insurance for 2 years

Yeah, I understand now. So basically the OP hasn't had a car for two years and is trying to get insurance for himself with no NCB and his newly qualified wife.

That's going to be really tough and you'll be gouged either way. Go with a broker.

The reason why it's so high is because a newly qualified driver with a 2 litre BMW is pretty high risk. See how much it is if you drop your wife from the coverage and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, and now it's ncb 0.
    But I'm not a Lerner...
    Driving 30yrs...
    They say I should take another car...
    2006 BMW 2.0 they will not insure..
    I cant understand why they choose on what car I should drive...

Understand it or not you need to take advice on board or your at a dead end.

Called chill-say no
    Topinsure also-no

They’re insurance companies, not brokers. A broker would have contacts with many companies. Where in the country are you? Other Boardsies may be able to recommend someone in your area.

They’re insurance companies, not brokers. A broker would have contacts with many companies. Where in the country are you? Other Boardsies may be able to recommend someone in your area.

Quotedevil broker said no..
    Live in Louth near Dundalk...

Quotedevil broker said no..
    Live in Louth near Dundalk...

Are they online only? If so you need find (Google) insurance brokers in your area and go into their offices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's not an attractive risk id imagine. No ncb and and "old" car.

Are they online only? If so you need find (Google) insurance brokers in your area and go into their offices.

Thanks for help.
    will look for brokers in our area.. Will try..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

This is exactly it. A newer car with a smaller engine might give you some hope

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Not sure about Topinsure, but Chill are definitely a broker.

Don't have money for new.
    Actually they didn't say anything about year of car..
    They want me drive on 1.0 l car like Lerner.
    But I'm not a Lerner...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Try kennco insurance. Believe they’re more of a broker. They might be able to help. But you still have two big issues for insurers: the age of the car/ power of it and the new driver of the car. You really need a small engine for a new driver, insurers will not be happy.

As everyone else has stated go through a broker as well. They will have connections and step you through any issues.

• Advertisement

ddarcy wrote: »
      Try kennco insurance. Believe they’re more of a broker. They might be able to help. But you still have two big issues for insurers: the age of the car/ power of it and the new driver of the car. You really need a small engine for a new driver, insurers will not be happy.

As everyone else has stated go through a broker as well. They will have connections and step you through any issues.

Thanks. Will try brokers.
      Kennco refused...

Advertisement