Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of bay windows, roughly?

Options
  • 19-02-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Roughly how much should it cost to upgrade the upstairs and downstairs bay windows of a semi-D to double or triple glazing?

All the firms advertising have this "ask for quote" line, which annoys me, as I'd prefer to have a ballpark figure before wasting their and my time. I know sizes vary, but surely prices can't vary that much - Irish semis are fairly standard.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

About 9k for the cheapest double glaze Aluminium for a standard 3 bed semi, double it for the top end windows...At least thats what I read on a website last week when trying to find an answer for the same question

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

replacing pvc with pvc?

assuming a typical 700mm x 2500mm bay, you could be looking at €5000 min installed..... moving upwards depending on window spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

€5k/€9k for one window or two?

Rechuchote wrote: »
    €5k/€9k for one window or two?

Six windows? Six bay windows?

• Advertisement

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Six windows? Six bay windows?

no, as the OP refers to a 3 bed semi D bay..... im assuming each "bay" is made up of 3 window.. 2 side and one front....

similar to these kind?

the €5k ive suggested would be for the cheap white pvc type that is prevalent with a southern provincial provider...... with the price increasing the higher spec you go.

Thanks. So the cheapest price for two bay windows would be €5k. Surprisingly dear for such a simple piece of technology!

Could you give us a pic so we know better what you are taking about?

The way I see it a standard bay has three windows, so two bays is 6 windows.
    @approx 700 each with fitting on top you won't have much change from five grand.

But maybe your taking about a different kind of window??

No, that's what I'm talking about all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Windows have gone super expensive since energy spec got serious.
    They would appear to have tripled in cost since last boom for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

For the two bay windows on that pic from “the southern provincial provider” as sydthebeat calls them in their 90 mm frame range is under €2k -

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yeah
    But they won’t really fit them, they’ll just hang them, then the op will spend another grand getting them installed correctly

+
    Allow a foot at the bay corners for pvc chunkiness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

BryanF wrote: »
    Yeah
    But they won’t really fit them, they’ll just hang them, then the op will spend another grand getting them installed correctly

+
    Allow a foot at the bay corners for pvc chunkiness

You reckon they've become one of the biggest window manufacturers and don't know how to fit windows?Ive placed nearly monthly orders of various sizes for the last 8 years with them and have never had to spend another grand having them installed correctly.

If you're ending up with a 300mm corner due to pvc chunkiness , you're fitting them wrong or using wrong bay window profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Those sound like crazy prices.
    I put in a triple glazed alu clad cheaper than that about 6-9 months ago.
    The bay + 4 other windows cost me ~7k

Is there any advantage in aluminium over wood or vice versa, and what's the price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Aluclad is a wood frame with an aluminum skin.
    For me, the advantage was less maintenance on the outside and the visual look. You still end up with a traditional wooden frame on the inside.
    They are thick frames though, I wouldn't have been able to do it, but I added 90mm on dry-lining on the inside of the walls.

Advertisement