Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plants planted

Options
  • 18-02-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I have tomatoes planted in my Glass house yesterday - when sun shines it can be warm in glass house but cold at night. Would I be better off to bring the seed tray into a window ceil in the house until they germinate ? Should I cover seed trya with black plastic until germinate ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

God, you are enthusiastic!

Personally, I would keep the seed tray in the house until the plants have got going and then only put them into the greenhouse during the day- making sure they are back in the house before temperature drops. Tomato plants really don't "do" cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Way too early for the poor plants ...
    You will need to keep them inside the house at least until end of March.
    Warm and plenty of light and decent warm water.

Never planted tomatoes outside in the greenhouse before begining of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yikes.

My seeds are still in the packet! Even the tomato house is still a theoretical collection of bits and pieces plus good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

ok thanks - should i cover tray with black plastic until they are up ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

harry999 wrote: »
    ok thanks - should i cover tray with black plastic until they are up ?

No need but definitely bring them into the house for the next few weeks. Early May is time enough to be planting them out in the greenhouse - they really don't like cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bought a greenhouse but it's in the box until I can get the garden ploughed and levelled off next Month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My greenhouse really is a collection of bit and pieces though - I'm up-cycling cast offs - corrugated plastic panels, an old shoe stand, bits of dressing table and so on. It'll be held together with hinges, screws and wire. I'll do a photostory of it's creation when I've got the final parts, poles and planks for the frame uprights.

Advertisement