Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man with no fashion sense

• 16-02-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what I'm looking for posting this but I'll do it anyway.

I've zero fashion sense. I tend to just wear whatever I find most comfortable. I work in a professional environment and I feel inadequate compared to the way other men my age dress.
    In work, I usually just go for a pair of chinos, Penny/Dunnes shirt and a pair of dubes.

I'm probably a medium in a shirt but I tend to go a size or two up for comfort. It's the same with trousers.

Im willing to invest a few hundred in a new wardrobe but I've no idea where to start.
    I'd need a full overall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The big stores and shopping centres have personal shoppers that can give you a steer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

For a start, never shop in Dunnes, or Penneys again. Dunnes has a very limited mens section with low-medium quality clothing. Penneys has a bigger, but shrinking mens section and the quality is very poor.

Comfort is important, but feeling inadequate is uncomfortable, so you need to dress to size in the right gear and not have clothes hanging off you like hand-me-downs.

If you live in Dublin, there is a menswear shop on Parnell street across from the cinema. It opened up when clerys closed down. I have shopped in there a couple of times and they have some good stuff. They have suits from pierre cardin, jeans from bugatti and comfortable shoes from jack jones. I replaced my wardrobe in there two years ago and picked up a couple of really nice suits and leather coats at really good prices.

If you are unsure, ask someone in store for advice....assuming they are well dressed themselves. You could ask a friend who dresses well, or you could simply replicate some of your colleagues.

If all else fails, a pair of suit trousers and a shirt is always tasteful and professional.....appropriately sized. Good luck.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

For a start, never shop in Dunnes, or Penneys again. Dunnes has a very limited mens section with low-medium quality clothing. Penneys has a bigger, but shrinking mens section and the quality is very poor.

Comfort is important, but feeling inadequate is uncomfortable, so you need to dress to size in the right gear and not have clothes hanging off you like hand-me-downs.

If you live in Dublin, there is a menswear shop on Parnell street across from the cinema. It opened up when clerys closed down. I have shopped in there a couple of times and they have some good stuff. They have suits from pierre cardin, jeans from bugatti and comfortable shoes from jack jones. I replaced my wardrobe in there two years ago and picked up a couple of really nice suits and leather coats at really good prices.

If you are unsure, ask someone in store for advice....assuming they are well dressed themselves. You could ask a friend who dresses well, or you could simply replicate some of your colleagues.

If all else fails, a pair of suit trousers and a shirt is always tasteful and professional.....appropriately sized. Good luck.

May sound cliche but buying "expensive" is buying quality. I find I used to shop in dunnes and Debenhams but (more so with dunnes) the clothes wore out. Either they tore or they faded.

Get yourself down to kikdare outlets. I find the Ralph Lauren shirts are the best quality shirt I have even owned. Great material never too hot or cold in the office. Sweat doesn't come through them too much (unlike even some of my Calvin klein shirts). In terms of chinos I still get dunnes. The only reason being I am a larger fella. A particular range there has elastic in it so there is a bit of give.

In terms of footware dubes are grand for casual Friday. Your feet will carry you for the rest of your life invest in them! I recently bought a pair of Adidas ultra boosts (outside of work obviously) but they are by far the best runner I have ever bought equally the most expensive.
    For work I wear either leather boots bought in Debenhams I don't know the brand but they were expensive enough (150-200) and have a pair of Ted Baker shoes for client meetings (more formal than boots).

At the end of the day it's taste. I get slagged a good bit in work as I dress the same Monday to Thursday - chinos, ralh Lauren shirt and boots. But it is acceptable atire and very comfortable. You might not like the shoes I wear or the shirts. Experiment with different materials and colours.

All the best and enjoy the experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I found this article useful:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-build-a-manly-wardrobe-1/

He also has a YouTube channel with style tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I've zero fashion sense. I tend to just wear whatever I find most comfortable. I work in a professional environment and I feel inadequate compared to the way other men my age dress. In work, I usually just go for a pair of chinos, Penny/Dunnes shirt and a pair of dubes.

Remember, having a sense of style is nothing to do with the cut of your clothing. It's something that's innate, that comes from within you. If you are clean and feel comfortable in your own skin that's all you will ever need. Don’t be too concerned about what others think of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Try wearing clothes that are your size, this will probably make a difference to how you carry yourself and will also look "better" on you.

Other tips to feel like you're a bit sharper-dressed ----
    Slimmer fitting shirts - can still be comfortable.
    Sports jacket - grey or blue will go with a lot of other trousers.
    Slacks with a creased front.
    Leather oxford shoes / brogues will also be good casually.

Try clothes on in shops, different brands size their clothes differently. A Medium from one brand is Not Necessarily A Medium in another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You need to start off with a 'capsule wardrobe' - a few bits and bobs from which you can create many different outfits, eg. white shirt, black + brown shoes, navy + beige chinos, etc.

Make sure to try on everything. I find that if a particular label fits me well, I'll stick with them. Often I'll buy the same t-shirt or shirt but in different colours cos I already know it'll fit well.

Don't overthink things and don't try too much too soon. In most cases you can keep things simple by wearing outfits that have just 2-3 colours in the entire outfit. Don't experiment with prints at this stage - they can be hit and miss and they tend to date sooner.

As someone earlier mentioned, buy quality. I have shirts that have lasted years and still look great cos of the cut and the material. Last tip would be to check out NN07, my favourite label, as they started a 50% off sale yesterday: www.nn07.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Look at mens style on pinterest and replicate what you can find in H&M etc

Or just buy a whole outfit off the manequin. Someone obviously thought about what goes together on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Buying expensive is not buying always buying quality. Armani jeans for instance, they are literally disposable. After 6 months they rip at the crotch and need to be binned.

7 for mankind make expensive but really really nice jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Thought a good rule was to dress for the job you want. e.g. don't compare yourself with your peers when you want to get somewhere else.
    Also it depends on the role: banking, customer facing ones would need more $$$ spent for work outfits than ... software engineering for example.
    - but I'd not discard the online (as they also accept returns): you can browse/buy from zara to tedbaker and selfridges.com before you'd get comfortable to enter in real designer shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Christ, stop being so damn stingy with your money and buy some decent clothes. You’re worse than an aul lad with his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Maybe give trythetrend.ie a shot

You provide them with some details, your measurement's, what you like to wear, they'll have a personal shopper contact you and discuss things with you and you'll get a box of 8-10 items sent out. You can try them on at home in your own comfort and you keep any items you like and send whatever you don't like back. If you don't like any of them you can send them all back. Service is free of charge and no obligation to buy.

Word of warning I got two boxes for them and there was nothing in them which fitted me. I'm 6'4 an XL on top ànd 34'34' in trousers. Most items I was sent we're one size to two sizes too small for me. I asked for lose fitting and everything was slim/tight fighting.

Hope that helps a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

Don't go looking to spend a few hundred at the minute, otherwise you will end up with a new wardrobe of probably the same stuff you already have :D

If you see someone in work with something you like, don't be shy to ask where they got their trousers from, or their coat or whatever it is.
    They will be delighted with the compliment, and i'm sure they won't mind saying where they got them from.

Go to that shop, see if you can find the same or similar. Try them on in one or two different sizes, and see if you feel comfortable in them.
    If you do like them, see if the shop has them in any other colours.
    For instance with trousers, buy them in every colour if you really like the fit on you.
    Same with shirts. You might have to try a few different stores to find your style, and whatever shape you prefare.
    Shoes, buy a shoe you like, in one or two different colours.

You might then even brave it, and try a whole different style when you are more confident with your choices.
    Bit by bit try something new. Or maybe you will only have the one style, and that ok too.
    Over time your wardrobe will build up.

Just don't feel under pressure from yourself or any staff member to buy anything unless you really do like it!

Personally, I think a good coat and shoe is where you should invest your money.

Good luck with the new you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

brinty wrote: »
    Maybe give trythetrend.ie a shot

You provide them with some details, your measurement's, what you like to wear, they'll have a personal shopper contact you and discuss things with you and you'll get a box of 8-10 items sent out. You can try them on at home in your own comfort and you keep any items you like and send whatever you don't like back. If you don't like any of them you can send them all back. Service is free of charge and no obligation to buy.

Word of warning I got two boxes for them and there was nothing in them which fitted me. I'm 6'4 an XL on top ànd 34'34' in trousers. Most items I was sent we're one size to two sizes too small for me. I asked for lose fitting and everything was slim/tight fighting.

Hope that helps a little

This is why I can't gravitate over to online clothes shopping. I need to try on everything before I purchase. Unlike most men, I actually like clothes shopping in bricks and mortar stores too. I couldn't deal with the hassle of re-packaging and posting everything that didn't fit (sizes are often meaningless) or returning clothes that looked great on the model online just looked wrong or less flattering on me when I tried them on.

Advertisement