Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirHelp for accommodation?

Options
  • 14-02-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently stayed in a booking.com place in London. It was 3 degrees outside and the apartment had no heating so I almost froze. I moved out after the first night and into a hotel for the remaining 5 night of my trip.

In terms of a refund, I'm having no luck with booking.com nor with the apartment owner/company.

What other options do I have? Is there something like airhelp.com who will pursue them on my behalf?

Many thanks,
    Con

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you contact Booking.com or the apartment owner in an effort to get this fixed? I’m trying to understand if you made a unilateral decision to move somewhere for 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Hi dudara - I contacted both and was offered 25 euro by booking. I paid around 700 euro for the accommodation so that was kind of a laughable offer.

I did make a unilateral decision so I've probably weakened my case. As in, I registered my complaint with the them and then moved out the following morning before they'd responded. However, London in December is cold and I think heating should be a minimum, so I'm wondering if there's someone like AirHelp (who know the ins-and-outs) who can take it forward for me.

Thanks again,
    Con

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Heating breaks, the important thing is giving them the chance to fix it.

I had been in a similar situation many years ago when living in a corporate let in Brussels. The heating went one evening in winter and it was Baltic. I contacted the agency next morning and told them that it had to be fixed by the evening or I would move to a hotel and charge them the cost. It was fixed that day.

Airhelp.com works because there is a statutory obligation to provide compensation for certain flight disruptions. This isn’t the same unfortunately.

IMO your best option is to seek a refund for the original accommodation cost. I don’t think you can claim the cost of the additional hotel as you unilaterally made that decision for 5 nights. If they won’t cooperate, seek a chargeback through your credit card provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Great - thanks for the steer, dudara. I'll follow up as you suggest.

All the best,
    Con

Advertisement