Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair Compensation

• 13-02-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Hoping for some help here. My mother and MIL were due to fly on a flight from Faro to Dublin last September with Ryanair. However, due to a staff strike by Ryanair staff, the flight was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.

We contacted Ryanair customer service and they advised the following:

"In case if a refund or re-route with our airline within 7 days of your cancelled flight is not an option for you, you can book a ticket with one of the following suppliers for example and the price of the ticket will be reimbursed for you:

EasyJet
    AerLingus"

Ryanair were unable to accommodate them on a suitable alternative flight (they needed to be back in Dublin on the day their original flight was due to arrive) and so they had to book alternative flights, via Londo, to Dublin. Upon submitting the compensation claim to Ryanair, we got the following response:

"Our records show that you had the possibility to be re-
    accommodated on an alternative Ryanair flight on the same route; however, you chose to
    book a new flight with another airline company. In the light of the above, we regret we cannot accede to your refund request for alternative
    transportation in this case." :confused:

I have tried following up with them, attaching screenshots of the conversation with their customer service agent where we were told we could book with a different airline and be compensated for it, but they are refusing to budge.

I cannot find anywhere to take this further. The flightrights.ie website suggested contacting the aviation authority of the country where the flight was due to depart (Portugal). I did this and never received anything back from them.

Does anyone have experience in this type of situation? Any suggestions on how to proceed? the parents are out of pocket over €750 as a result of this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Small claims court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

google EU261

"contacting the aviation authority of the country where the flight was due to depart (Portugal). I did this and never received anything back from them."
    This might be a problem, you need proof of the delay, so you should follow up, write etc to aviation authority in Portugal

In think in the past RY have said that strikes are outside their control, and no compensation can be paid
    However this applies to third party strikes (ATC etc)
    I am fairly sure a RY strike cannot be used as a reason for non payment of compensation

There are numerous companies who will take up your claim , but they will of course take a cut

Your answer is here.

"In case if a refund or re-route with our airline within 7 days of your cancelled flight is not an option for you, you can book a ticket with one of the following suppliers for example and the price of the ticket will be reimbursed for you:

EasyJet
    AerLingus"

Ryanair were unable to accommodate them on a suitable alternative flight (they needed to be back in Dublin on the day their original flight was due to arrive) and so they had to book alternative flights, via Londo, to Dublin. Upon submitting the compensation claim to Ryanair, we got the following response:

"Our records show that you had the possibility to be re-accommodated on an alternative Ryanair flight on the same route; however, you chose to book a new flight with another airline company. In the light of the above, we regret we cannot accede to your refund request for alternative
    transportation in this case”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Your answer is here.

"In case if a refund or re-route with our airline within 7 days of your cancelled flight is not an option for you
    That wording is well open to interpretation. If it said "not offered" or "not available" then there would be no ambiguity. "Not an option" could easily be interpreted to be "not acceptable to me because I'll miss work". I'd take it to small claims. Vague terms tend to be judged on the side of the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Contra proferentem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

@Brock Turnpike how did you get on?

Facing a similar issue here :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Never got a response from Flighrights website, Ryanair didn't budge. Never went to small claims but should have done, and that would be my suggestion to you. Ryanair will do everything they can to avoid a refund

Good to know, will SCC pay out on the expenses too ? we had to get home from edinburah and the next ryanair flight to Shannon was in 2 days. As a result of our flights being cancelled, the dublin one was booked and we ended up paying 500€ to airlingus for a flight to dublin along with travelling back to Shannon to pick up the car.

@Brock Turnpike I called consumer protection and I was advised to go down the SCC by the CCPC. I am going to have a chat with a SCC registrar on a case for consequential loss as a reuslt of RyanAir cancelling our flight. See if they’ll think it’s worth it

FYI You can also still do this even it was a few years ago (within 6 years)

Post edited by skinny90 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Very interesting. I will definitely look into this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement