Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional Photographer Issue

• 09-02-2019 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a query on the above.

We got family photographs taken by a photographer. Price agreed €1100. When we turn up first day (big family and busy family, it took 3 separate sessions across 3 separate dates in November and December) I suggested a small additional tweak, so the photographer said it’ll be another €100, which makes it €1200. We said ok.

Today family members went into the photographer to get initial look at photos.

We were informed she will not be giving us the digital photos and for any additional print of the main family photo (framed) will be €600 each.

Two questions:
    Can the photographer refuse to give us the digital copies of the photos; and,
    Is €600 very expensive for a photo approx 200mm x 600mm long?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Usual understanding is that the photographer owns the photos and unless you agreed in writing to the digital files being part of what you were to receive I can't see you have any case with him/her. €600 for a 20x60 print imho is ridiculous, apart from the fact that 20x60 seems a very odd size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

What did you get for your 1200 euro? Ill take my wedding as example. Very very good professional photographer with all prints digitally was 1500 for a full day's shooting, editing, USB and she also printed about 40 photos for us 10x8s. All in a presentation box. Larger prints and albums priced separately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kboc wrote: »
    Is €600 very expensive for a photo approx 200mm x 600mm long?
    hell yes. that's bananas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What was specified in the contract you signed?

The price of the framed print does sound very expensive to me, but those cost should have been made clear prior to the job commencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

A family member asked the professional photographer to take some photos of my mother's grandchildren. The photo sessions would be over three different dates in Nov and Dec, were the necessary photos would be taken.

The photographer indicated her preference would be three sequenced individual photos framed together. I presume the three photos would be the best pic from the three separate dates in Nov and Dec.

She agreed to this work at a cost of 1100 euro.

My children was part of the first group, so I was there on the first date in Nov. This was the first and only time I met this lady. I showed the lady a picture that my wife has of my son's class at school which is 180mm x 710mm in dimension. This one photograph is made up of 4 or 5 different separate photos which I presume have been put together on a software package. I showed the lady this picture and ask her could she do this (my sister had mentioned this photo at the initial contact but the photographer wasn't quite sure what my sister meant), she said probably not, but that she'd have a look adnd it would be another 100 euro. I said ok, I'll pay the extra 100 euro.

So the photos were taken on the three different dates in Nov and Dec, and everyone turned up when they were supposed to. In general there was no issues. the only thing which changed was on each of the three dates,some of my nieces and nephews got additional photos taken with them and their own partners and children (my mothers great grandchildren)

My my two sisters visited the professional photographer yesterday. The professional photographer said the following:

1. she spent 15 hours doing all the work and the bill was 1200 euro (as agreed). She was giving us a framed photo (the one which i showed her on the first photo shoot and said she couldn't do, but she obviously found out how to do it ) of my mothers grandchildren

2. the big photo mentioned above in #1 is priced as follows: 120mm x 160mm = 325 euro; 160mm x 200mm = 450 euro; and, 200mm x 240mm (or that 240mm might 290mm, I'm struggling to read the hand written note which was sent to me) and can only be bought framed

3. She was not giving us any digitals, which in fairness she said at the outset

4. the photograph with the three sequenced photos is 450 euro framed and

5. and the smaller photos (100mm x 80mm) which were done on an ad hoc basis for my nieces and nephews and their families are 80 euro each

That's it.

So I have no experience of this industry. I would like to know two things in particular:

is it reasonable for us to buy the digital copies of the lady at this stage. what would be a reasonable price

if 600 euro is very dear, what would be reasonable because i don't want to fall out with this lady unnecessarily.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,099 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So there was no framed print included in the initial 1200 euro price?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kboc wrote: »
    2. the big photo mentioned above in #1 is priced as follows: 120mm x 160mm = 325 euro
    that's a small photo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When you say "She agreed ..." was this agreement written or verbal?

The normal practice would be to negotiate terms and then to sign a contract. This should set out the expectations and obligations of all parties. This is to give assurance and protection to all involved, without that it makes things difficult.

If you do not have a contract then you have nothing to enforce. The way it stands you have paid her for her time. She owns the images taken even though you have paid, as they are still her property. The price that others charge for a framed print is of little importance as the only figure that is relevant is what she charges. That is like saying How much is an oil painting 40cm by 60cm. If it's by an unknown artist then not a lot but if the artist is well regarded then the price goes up. In this case the price is what she thinks it is worth.

I am not saying this situation is ethical or not but without a legally binding contract you are in a bad situation. She has been paid for her time, and now owns the items you want so has the upper hand. The only thing you have is that if you feel aggrieved then you can provide poor reviews etc. but be careful to stick to the facts and include that you were naive to not get a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

First off , it sounds like you've been ripped off from the outset.

For 1200 , any reasonable photographer would include digital files (basic resolution) , and a small few prints ( or one large framed print ) in a package deal

200mm x 600mm is a SMALL photo. I hate the way photographers try make a print seem larger by putting it into millimeters . Inches it would be roughly 24x8 which is a panoramic.
    It seems your only downfall is that you do not have a written contract which kind of puts the ball in her side of the court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree with the poster above, it looks like you've been ripped off. €1200 spent and you have not one photo (digital or physical) to show for it (or am I missing something?). What you have done is paid a photographer €1200 for the "opportunity" to buy photos from her at sky-high prices. That's just nuts IMO. I'm not sure what you can do now though as you agreed to this, so you're only option is to throw good money after bad and pay for the photos you want. I'd definitely try at least to get the digitals from her (even if it means paying more) and go get the framed prints done somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have no experience of this type of deal but that sounds horrendous and over the top expensive.

I would try and negotiate with her some sort of deal. I would think the fact "she Agreed" is nearly as good as a written contract.
    Despite the fact you have no written contract I would chase this up and challenge her as much as possible. I hate to see people getting ripped off. I would have no problem in telling people locally about your experience, she wont want any bad feedback if she works locally.

Does she have a website where you could leave a comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LeoB wrote: »
    I would think the fact "she Agreed" is nearly as good as a written contract.
    Unless it's written, it's a case of "he said/she said".

That said, I wonder was there anything written, either on paper, in texts, or via email, regarding the contract?

Advertisement