Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove VS Half job of New Windows for keeping warm

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Personally I would do windows first and then start internally jobs like stove

Yes the stove will put out great heat but it will go straight out the windows/doors...

If the fire is already providing good heat then with new windows etc it will provide better heat while they look at stove longer term. Also it will heat the house

You could even look at a firedoor to make it more efficient: https://www.heatdesign.ie/product/causeway-fire-door/

These are low cost, so when not using the fire it also blocks the draft from the fireplace......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestion!

I was more thinking, say with a current budget of 3K, this might only get 3 windows, leaving 5 windows and the back door and the fireplace still sucking out the warm air, so rather than spend it here, get a stove fitted which will save money on fuel, be cleaner, be easier for the person to light and fuel the fire (no heavy buckets of coal and shovelling etc), one or two logs every few hours, then block the chimney from sucking air out when not in use... Then you'd still have money for a survey if similar can be gotten as above for €400, then with this info, spend €100 or so on some foam strips and maybe some filling around problem areas, then with lower fuel and electricity costs, this would then mean a shorter time to save up for windows.

Also, perhaps there's even some grant available to change to a stove or get a survey done or something like that, so it could work out far better to explore these options since they have already found out they can't get windows on any scheme.

Just be warned the stove will burn fuel

I have a big 30KW one connected to heating, it will eat a full 20kg bag of coal in no time

The 8kw green rooom heater not as much but it does burn fuel quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Given we've been talking about drafts, I think the quality of stove can make a big difference with burning efficiency and rate too. I'd be suggesting they go for one of these based on advice I've gotten before, they are meant to get hours from a decent sized single hardwood log: https://cdsf.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just be warned the stove will burn fuel

I have a big 30KW one connected to heating, it will eat a full 20kg bag of coal in no time

The 8kw green rooom heater not as much but it does burn fuel quickly

30 KW! that's some size of a stove!

I have a 7KW Kingstar inset woodburning stove, its basically a rebranded Thorma stove from Slovakia.
    We light it every day and it has cost us 300 Euro in wood so far this winter.

As for windows! some heavy curtains will do a lot for heat retention if you can't afford to replace windows in the short term.

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »
    30 KW! that's some size of a stove!

I have a 7KW Kingstar inset woodburning stove, its basically a rebranded Thorma stove from Slovakia.
    We light it every day and it has cost us 300 Euro in wood so far this winter.

As for windows! some heavy curtains will do a lot for heat retention if you can't afford to replace windows in the short term.

It's a beast of a yoke, you can stick in half a tree into it :-)

https://www.mylovelystove.com/product/hamco-glenmore-30b-boiler-stove/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's a beast of a yoke, you can stick in half a tree into it :-)

https://www.mylovelystove.com/product/hamco-glenmore-30b-boiler-stove/

What space is that heating?
    Seems like it would have to be oversized and hence inefficient.

Similar to when people buy a bigger gas boiler as it must be better, but actually it just never runs efficiently and will be more prone to breakdowns.

GreeBo wrote: »
    What space is that heating?
    Seems like it would have to be oversized and hence inefficient.

Similar to when people buy a bigger gas boiler as it must be better, but actually it just never runs efficiently and will be more prone to breakdowns.

3,000+ sq ft house, 20+ radiators

Was installed before I bought house, maybe a little too big now after renovation work but no point swapping now

Advertisement