Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seniority

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

They are quite sought after as there are so few opportunities for promotion in teaching. You’d generally want to have plenty of experience so if you’re there that long you’d probably have full hours

Actually it's the opposite in my school, the experienced teachers don't want the extra workload that these posts involve & haven't been applying for them. Lesser experienced teachers don't seem to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Icsics wrote: »
    Actually it's the opposite in my school, the experienced teachers don't want the extra workload that these posts involve & haven't been applying for them. Lesser experienced teachers don't seem to mind

Definitely in the minority. They have caused war in a good few schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Icsics wrote: »

Yes same here , very few experienced teachers apply in my school due to the whole process. The interview process is looking at what you do to help management, what courses you have done to be a manager and number one is- can you speak the lingo, nothing to do with if you are a good/ hard working teacher.

Yes same here , very few experienced teachers apply in my school due to the whole process. The interview process is looking at what you do to help management, what courses you have done to be a manager and number one is- can you speak the lingo, nothing to do with if you are a good/ hard working teacher.

Exactly & the competency based interview is mad, people literally are applying for the unknown. It's an awful charade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In my former school all the likely candidates applied for the first AP1 post and there was some seriously toxic behaviour surrounding the whole thing. But following experience of the process and changes to post duties, only a handful applied for several subsequent posts. There have been some resignations from posts also. There are now several unfilled posts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

From what I'm hearing if you don't get the 'quiet word' when the post is advertised then don't bother... unless you can reveal some skeletons in a closet :)

From what I'm hearing if you don't get the 'quiet word' when the post is advertised then don't bother... unless you can reveal some skeletons in a closet :)

Yes & for all the window dressing if the P doesn't want you in that post you're not getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The ‘older’ teachers aren’t applying because they know they’re wasting their time and the job is earmarked for some up and coming 30 something .Its the way of the world now , look at Varadkar , Trudeau etc and how could I forget the Ministers for illhealth and homelessness .Yes men / back scratchers only need apply !

Advertisement