Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight issues

Options
  • 21-01-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm traveling to France soon in a factory camper. From snooping around this forum it seems most of the vans are sailing close to the wind without provisions when it comes to weight. I've been knocking around Ireland with a borrowed camper and with careful driving it seems to handle the weight fine.

Is there a risk bringing back cases of wine, gear from Decathlon and the usual gear you'd need on a trip? Do the French authorities pull campers over and weigh them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't seen any weighing stations in France but thats not to say they don't do it.
    I know they do regular checks in Germany but thats not unexpected.
    The best starting point for you is to work out exactly what weight you have for front and back axles.
    Then you can work from there.

Air springs can help handling on the rear, Alko tend to get very saggy as they age.
    If you are coming back, just leave the heavy stuff to when you are near the ferry port and buy what you want before you get home.

If you are really stuck for weight you can buy quite cheap small trailers in France from Feu Vert and the like that will easily take the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OK. that’s great, thanks a million… again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If you have proper camper tyres, SEE HERE, it should translate automatically to English, make sure the rear ones are inflated to the full recommended 80psi (5.5 bar). If you have ordinary commercial vehicle tyres inflate them to the max shown on the sidewall. This helps to reduce the bulging on the sidewalls which is a dead giveaway when overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks Niloc, might be time for new tyres. Nice one.

Advertisement