Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals and birds you used to never see...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've yet to see a pine Martin , not sure how common they are around cork...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not common but about alright,used to live in cloughduv ,saw a few,and one near Murphy's farm walk, bishoptown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

emo72 wrote: »
    Threads gone mad!

. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?

Dormice are not found in Ireland. What your cousin saw was more likely a Bank Vole.

http://www.conserveireland.com/mammals/bank-vole.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Loevly to read all the accounts.

There does seem to be a great increase in wildlife. It's thrilling.
    A sparrowhawk flew along the tops of electricity poles in front of me as I drove, like a game.
    There are more hunting birds for sure, like Buzzards. I watched an older bigger one training a younger one to hunt.
    I saw an eagle once, rise up from the ground. One of the best things that ever happened to me.
    I saw a mother red squirrel last year leading her tiny weeny babies across the road - it would make you cry how pretty they are.
    We are inundated with Sika deer, can hardly go for a single walk without seeing their white tails as they dart away. Sometimes the first mile of my car journey on these quiet roads is following silly little deer who won't jump into the hedge.
    There is a pine martin who visits who is so huge and scary looking that it gives me the creeps.
    Foxes, badgers, stoats, hares. All seem to be thriving.
    There is something big or a group of somethings that has set up home in the garden recently, ruffling fallen needles and leaf under the trees. We have fairly dense tree cover in parts so it would be an ideal hiding/sleeping place. It's not a badger. It's an on-going mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Dormice are not found in Ireland. What your cousin saw was more likely a Bank Vole.

Yes they are. He lives in Kildare where they have been sited. They are not easily mistaken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-dormouse-makes-first-appearance-in-ireland-1.1464474%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

emo72 wrote: »
    Yes they are. He lives in Kildare where they have been sited. They are not easily mistaken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-dormouse-makes-first-appearance-in-ireland-1.1464474%3fmode=amp

Goodness, a new one! Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Goodness, a new one! Amazing.

I know yeah! It is a cute little bugger isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

notobtuse wrote: »
    A rare half-male and half-female cardinal has been spotted here in Pennsylvania, USA and reported by National Geographic. Scientists are hopeful it will reproduce because it is female on the left side - and that is the side the ovaries are located.

dywatngvsaadfg8.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=634&h=379&crop=1

Yeah, but the right side is violently pecking any males that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Saw my first Red Kite today. Flying over the N2 near Ashbourne, Co. Meath. I was raging it was somewhere I couldn't pull over and watch it for a while but still chuffed to spot it.

Elusive , but here alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Saw one outside Ballygarvan of all places, one in Cloughduv years ago and in Gougane Barra alongside red squirrels

Not so much a never seen as a never heard (in Ireland), the Cuckoo,
    I'd always thought I just hadn't recognised the sound, till I heard one once in Cornwall....

Used hear it regularly in Uam var estate ( near Murphys farm) years ago , gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Buzzards- absolutely everywhere! In the warm, dry summer weather you’d see loads of them perched along the motorway
    I never used notice then before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Used hear it regularly in Uam var estate ( near Murphys farm) years ago , gone now

Common enough here in West Limerick, but to be guaranteed to hear one, go to the Burren in May, up around Ballinalacken Castle. You can easily call them into sight if you can make the right sound blowing into your cupped hands. The late Éamonn de Buitléir showed me how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was just having a walk with the kids in the woods , and they spotted a red squirrel , ( not the first time we've seen one there ) , but they've got to be getting common for my 2 to notice him , and he was doing a good bit of acrobatics - tree to tree leaps .. taking no notice of us ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

JCJCJC wrote: »

Amazing. Must be some flying machine or stalker to catch a black headed gull.

Advertisement