Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need to talk about Sammy Wilson

Options
  • 09-01-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Sammy(DUP) is not the brightest.
    Have heard him many times down through the years and he just does not come across as being very intelligent. Yet he holds down a fairly prominent role in the DUP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

it’s hard to sound smart when constantly talking ****e, now whether he knows he’s talking ****e is hard to say.

The DUP have a shtick and he’s good at delivering in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have heard him many times down through the years and he just does not come across as being very intelligent. Yet he holds down a fairly prominent role in the DUP?

Was it him I heard on the BBC NI news last night commenting on what Covney said earlier in the day.

The guy comes across the same way many of the DUP do, completely unable to be pragmatic when it comes to NI.

They are willing to destroy the economy of NI just to prove to everyone how British they are.

And in reality no one but themselves car how British they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

amcalester wrote: »
    it’s hard to sound smart when constantly talking ****e, now whether he knows he’s talking ****e is hard to say.

The DUP have a shtick and he’s good at delivering in.

I know it's hard to sound smart when you are talking shyte but Nigel Dodds and Gregory Campbell try to carry it off whereas Sammy comes across as plain dumb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: If this thread is going to be nothing more than insults, it will be closed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was listening to somone on a radio show yesterday giving an analysis of the political system in the North given that today 2 years ago, Martin McGuinness pulled the plug on power sharing over the RHI scheme.

The contributor said that since the mid-90's and the negotiation of the good Friday agreement, the political system in the north has become even more polarised with Sinn-Fein and the DUP on opposing sides. Somewhat outside centre but pragmatic parties such as the UUP and SDLP have lost a lot of their support.

I would love to know what the leaders in the DUP think they are doing given that Northern Ireland voted to remain in the Brexit referendum. Do they genuinely believe that they are doing what is in the best interest of the majority of their constituents.

Saw a political program called Pop goes the North on BBC before Christmas about the 90's. Say what you want about Sammy Wilson, but he doesn't look to have aged a day since then.

• Advertisement

Well he appears on radio & TV a lot lately promoting brexit but once he gets past his first couple of sentences very little after that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

He doesn't believe in climate change (it's a "con").
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2134162-five-things-you-need-to-know-about-dup-politicians-and-science/

Neither does Trump. He says it is a "Chinese hoax".
    It is a fact that Trump has good genes and by his own admission is a very stable genius. He's also the leader of the free world and in charge of the arsenal of democracy - he couldn't have gotten where he is without being highly intelligent!
    That implies that contrary to the OP, Sammy Wilson is likely to be a very intelligent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The DUP are full of eccentric lunatics not meant for such office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

The DUP are unionists, it is their nature to support the union. Why are people surprised when unionists are unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The contributor said that since the mid-90's and the negotiation of the good Friday agreement, the political system in the north has become even more polarised with Sinn-Fein and the DUP on opposing sides. Somewhat outside centre but pragmatic parties such as the UUP and SDLP have lost a lot of their support.

And if there was an election tomorrow in NI, the dup and SF would get the same percent votes.

In other words, they wouldn't be punished for not working for 2 yrs cos the electorate are so entrenched in their bigoted views to punish them at the ballot box.

If there was a massive shift to the uup and sdlp, it might make a big change in NI, but ain't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The DUP are unionists, it is their nature to support the union. Why are people surprised when unionists are unionists.

People dont have a problem with them supporting the union just with HOW they go about it without any proper logical backing to support it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    And if there was an election tomorrow in NI, the dup and SF would get the same percent votes.

In other words, they wouldn't be punished for not working for 2 yrs cos the electorate are so entrenched in their bigoted views to punish them at the ballot box.

If there was a massive shift to the uup and sdlp, it might make a big change in NI, but ain't going to happen.

Yeah. That's the reality of it. As everyone but Karen Bradley already knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He's the northern equivalent if Healy Rae or Mick Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

And if they want their ‘precious union’ to survive they can’t keep just focusing on 30% of the electorate who vote for them. As we have seen in Scotland people don’t want to vote for uncertainty but if they continue to denigrate and treat the nationalist tradition like they do then a border poll will be looming large.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

He's the northern equivalent if Healy Rae or Mick Wallace.

In fairness to Mick Wallace - he's an idealist - it's unrealistic and he's not by any stretch the sharpest tool in the shed, but the Healy Raes are unhinged to an extent I can't understand or believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In fairness to Mick Wallace - he's an idealist - it's unrealistic and he's not by any stretch the sharpest tool in the shed, but the Healy Raes are unhinged to an extent I can't understand or believe.

Mick Wallace was the one who named two Gardai in the Dail who were later completely exonerated by a Tribunal, to the extent that the judge questioned why GSOC had even opened a casefile.

Mick Wallace is also a man who didn't pay his taxes and who delayed paying in their own contributions to his employees' pension fund.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mick-wallace-off-the-hook-after-1-4m-tax-dodge-26891291.html

"TAX cheat Mick Wallace will escape any prosecution and will keep his Dail seat, despite admitting he knowingly fiddled his company's VAT returns."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/mick-wallace-disqualified-from-involvement-in-companies-for-six-years-1.3267506

"A High Court judge has disqualified TD Mick Wallace from involvement in companies for six years arising from his stewardship of the affairs of his construction company, MJ Wallace."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Wallace

"Shortly after being elected, while referring to Mary Mitchell O'Connor in Dáil Éireann, he said "Miss Piggy has toned it down a bit today""

"Wallace was accused of politicising the November 2015 Paris attacks by tweeting "So terrible for the victims, but when is France going to stop its role in the militarisation of the planet?" while the attacks were still happening."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1205/309498-wallacem/

"Independent TD Mick Wallace has been fined €7,000 for failing to pay pension contributions for his workers into their pension fund."

I don't think there is a more despicable TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am kind of looking forward to Sammy and Arlene etc explaining themselves over the next few years.

Not looking forward to the absolute mess they have foisted on the people of this island.

I am kind of looking forward to Sammy and Arlene etc explaining themselves over the next few years.

Not looking forward to the absolute mess they have foisted on the people of this island.

Easy. They fought the good fight to honour the Union of the United Kingdom. Theresa May negotiated very badly. Everything after that is her problem.

They're only going to be speaking to those that will vote for them no matter what anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Easy. They fought the good fight to honour the Union of the United Kingdom. Theresa May negotiated very badly. Everything after that is her problem.

They're only going to be speaking to those that will vote for them no matter what anyway.

That is the way of extremists, speak only to those who vote for you.

It will be the same for Farage and Johnson in the rest of the UK - blame May.

Even those who stood idly by, like Sinn Fein, will blame May.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:D They fought for Brexit when nobody realised that it was a threat to the union, then they immediately looked (along with Martin McGuinness, remember?) to be treated as a 'special case' and have now flip flopped into a cul de sac over the 'union again.
    They tried to hunt with the hounds and run with the fox as they say and it has exploded rather magnificently on them. Snookered on all balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

Was it him I heard on the BBC NI news last night commenting on what Covney said earlier in the day.

The guy comes across the same way many of the DUP do, completely unable to be pragmatic when it comes to NI.

They are willing to destroy the economy of NI just to prove to everyone how British they are.

And in reality no one but themselves car how British they are.

Like most politicians, he always has to keep his constituency in mind when saying anything publicly.
    That stuff seems to go down well with them. And it has also made them the largest political party in NI.

There doesn't seem to be any incentive for them yet to look at the bigger picture.

donaghs wrote: »
    Like most politicians, he always has to keep his constituency in mind when saying anything publicly.
    That stuff seems to go down well with them. And it has also made them the largest political party in NI.

There doesn't seem to be any incentive for them yet to look at the bigger picture.

I understand that but it's just his , shall we say, lack of brain power that I find astonishing. Once he has to go off script in an interview he just reverts to going red in the face and raising his voice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He’s views on unionism are not the issue, for me. It’s his views on climate change and social issues that really get me. His anti LGBT+ opinions, his climate change denial stance and his anti abortion views are all despicable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's fairly simple really.

His constituency demands that he take dumb positions and so he'll go on TV and try to defend those positions. Even a smart person defending a dumb position will look dumb once they're made to delve deeper into their soundbytes and they won't be long going full gammon soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Don't dump videos here please.

Ah, my apologies. Didn't realise it was the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He described the prospect of ethnic cleansing of Catholics from a re-partitioned north as a 'valuable return to reality'. People like Wilson see themselves as colonists keeping the natives outside the walls of the castle. Unfortunately for Wilson the natives are now inside the castle and have the re-decorators in.

IrishLanguageActProtestJan2019_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-897197

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: I'm going to have to lock this if there's any more jibes. Serious discussion only please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

donaghs wrote: »

I wonder would a no deal crash out Brexit focus the minds of the DUP voter.

They have a support base among NI farmers who will be really hit by Brexit itself and even more so a hard Brexit.

I'm not suggesting a switch to SF or SLDP but a swing to the more pragmatic (on the face of it) UUP or a party lead by Sylvia Harmon.

I also believe that if Ian Paisley were still in charge this would have been resolved months ago, Paisley for all his ills did learn the value pragmatism in his later career.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Despite the dual mandate having to go, I think the situation where the party leader is not in Westminster isn't helping either. Foster clearly isn't in control there but has to be seen to be - so she can't publoxlt disagree with anything they do there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

SNIP. Cut out the one-liners please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement