Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to spray Roundup?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

i'm not going to speculate whether it does or not, but the two are not remotely compatible; anyone who drinks knows the risks.
    anyone exposed to roundup is being reassured by the manufacturer that it is fine, and even if you choose not to be exposed, you're going to fail because you're going to be exposed at some point anyway.
    I agree somewhat... but I don't think most people are aware that drinking alcohol causes cancer. I just noted that I wish the article listed the amount of exposure needed to achieve that 41% increased risk of cancer. I think not doing so results in a somewhat misleading article.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Guys; Help please; Hate Round up and would be glad to be shot of all those sprays but I have an infestation of Maretails over a large garden and it keeps spreading. At this time of year it sitting happily underground gathering strength and waiting for April to arrive and millions of those bloody stems will appear. In the past I have tried Round up and Neudorff and all the really done was kill the grass and gave more space for the Marestail to spread. Any revolutionary thoughts would be appreciated.

I’m going to be honest your in serious trouble if marestale has taken a strong hold in your garden.

It’s an invasive extraordinary resilient weed, roundup and it’s similar will have no real effect. They may damage too growth but not kill the plant. Bruising the stems with a shovel will help as it breaks the waxy coating allowing better penetration.

We had some here years ago and honestly the only chemical that worked was Grazon90, but it’s licenced as a professional use only chemical now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

notobtuse wrote: »
    I work part time in a home improvement center in the USA. Weed killers are within my department. There are different formulas to Round Up. One that kills weeds for 2 months, one for 4 months, and one kills weeds for a year.
    i thought the whole USP of roundup was that it denatures on contact with soil, and will only kill plants it's directly applied to?
    if you're saying it lingers and continues to be toxic to plants for months after application, that has to be a different compound to glyphosate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly talking about US products here is pointless.
    There is little to no similarity in the regulation on pesticides that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Effects wrote: »
    Total BS.

I always thought the same. No credit to the wind or other animals, if bees are doing so bad recently how is there no food crisis? I do like the the little guys and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Go for it, mix it good and strong too, no point doing half a job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Macdarack wrote: »
    I always thought the same. No credit to the wind or other animals, if bees are doing so bad recently how is there no food crisis? I do like the the little guys and all that.

They aren't doing that bad here to be honest. And it's solitary bees that are in danger more so than the honey bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m going to be honest your in serious trouble if marestale has taken a strong hold in your garden.

It’s an invasive extraordinary resilient weed, roundup and it’s similar will have no real effect. They may damage too growth but not kill the plant. Bruising the stems with a shovel will help as it breaks the waxy coating allowing better penetration.

We had some here years ago and honestly the only chemical that worked was Grazon90, but it’s licenced as a professional use only chemical now.

Thank you for depressing but honest analysis. Area of approx. 300 sq yds and it has spread exponentially over past 2/3 yrs ...with my help by killing the grass with round up. Was hoping against hope the was perhaps a homemade mixture I could make up to at least reverse the spreading trend

Advertisement