Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teenagee helping out at the stables

Options
  • 03-10-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking for advice on how to approach it..my 13 yo is mad about horses and really wants to go back to riding lessons-she did some at the age of 7. Is it that you can ask at any equestrian center and the worse that happens is them saying no? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Perhaps pay for a few riding lessons first. I know if we are taking kids/teens on, I would prefer to know they are interested and willing to learn. It takes a lot of time and energy to supervise underage people and show them how to help around the yard if they have pretty much no experience. If it sounds like it's merely a passing fancy, I'd be worried I was just wasting my time, and someone who did a few lessons years ago and nothing since would come across as someone who wouldn't be that interested. Maybe if they spent the last 6 months or so at paid lessons. At least then it shows they're going to stick at it a bit longer than a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

I bought riding lessons for my partner thinking it would be adult only. But there were 5 year old kids there and some of the assistants were younger than 13. The younger they learn the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

do some lessons, do some camps. ask nicely once they know you.

a million & 1 girls want to do this. why should yours walk in and expect to be allowed?

daheff wrote:
    a million & 1 girls want to do this. why should yours walk in and expect to be allowed?

Ah, that's not fair. We've been looking for someone around that age for a long time to help out. Someone old enough to have a bit of sense but young enough to have stuff to learn and will get something out of it. It's not that easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aemk2014

My daughter is well able to clean the stable - I have a friend who owns horses an she helps out over the weekends whenever she can - but these horses are more ex-riding retired ones so only one or two are suitable to ride at the moment- not a viable option for us on a regular basis as we also live quite far away from her.
    She loves hard work and being around horses but hasn't got that connection in any of the riding centres at all. By no means we are looking for a privileged treatment- just wondering how to approach it. We live in South end of Dublin and I looked at schools around- the prices and ts and cs vary so much between them that its hard to know who to go with. Are there any specific features I should look at in a riding school? I don't want to discourage her by sending her to the wrong place. Any advice would be very appreciated. Also- if there are any good places anyone could recommend- I would be grateful too! Thank you!

• Advertisement

aemk2014 wrote: »
    My daughter is well able to clean the stable - I have a friend who owns horses an she helps out over the weekends whenever she can - but these horses are more ex-riding retired ones so only one or two are suitable to ride at the moment- not a viable option for us on a regular basis as we also live quite far away from her.
    She loves hard work and being around horses but hasn't got that connection in any of the riding centres at all. By no means we are looking for a privileged treatment- just wondering how to approach it. We live in South end of Dublin and I looked at schools around- the prices and ts and cs vary so much between them that its hard to know who to go with. Are there any specific features I should look at in a riding school? I don't want to discourage her by sending her to the wrong place. Any advice would be very appreciated. Also- if there are any good places anyone could recommend- I would be grateful too! Thank you!

I think it might be best, if you were applying for somewhere, to mention that she does help a friend muck out. Your original post came across like she had take a lesson or two years ago and now wants to commit to the hard work. Unfortunately, many of us know that that rarely works out which is why you were given the advice of getting lessons etc., first. It's still a good idea to get a few lessons first!

I'm not from Dublin so I'm not 100% sure of the individual centres but I have been to Clonfert (not sure how far you are from there) and it was a lovely yard. Calliaghstown offer BHS exam training so likely have a good standard of instructor. However, as long as it's AIRE approved, it really depends on individual preference. What some people would love about a riding school, others would hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think it might be best, if you were applying for somewhere, to mention that she does help a friend muck out. Your original post came across like she had take a lesson or two years ago and now wants to commit to the hard work. Unfortunately, many of us know that that rarely works out which is why you were given the advice of getting lessons etc., first. It's still a good idea to get a few lessons first!

I'm not from Dublin so I'm not 100% sure of the individual centres but I have been to Clonfert (not sure how far you are from there) and it was a lovely yard. Calliaghstown offer BHS exam training so likely have a good standard of instructor. However, as long as it's AIRE approved, it really depends on individual preference. What some people would love about a riding school, others would hate.

I did a bit of work there last summer and while it took me a bit of time to get used to the place, at the end I rather enjoyed it. Though it can be a bit disorganised!! Definitely did seem more kid orientated at weekends & lots of those would have needed leaders so teenagers were continuously coming & going & helping out. If it's close I'd say pop in & talk to Anthony if you can find him, he wasn't one to say no to free help :)

Advertisement