Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celeste

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Chap 8 is locked...I assume a certain amount of hearts are required.

Yep, you need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, you need

But I have
    40+

Nope, they're strawberries.

06AMBXZ.png

Hearts look like this:

wKQyCow.png

There is one on every regular level (extremely well hidden), one at the end of every B-Side and others too (which I won't spoil here as they are post-game)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »
    Nope, they're strawberries.

06AMBXZ.png

Hearts look like this:

wKQyCow.png

There is one on every regular level (extremely well hidden), one at the end of every B-Side and others too (which I won't spoil here as they are post-game)

Right. I know them know. I thought they were strawberries I'd already collected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

This is one of the most overrated games of recent memory
    It's good, but I don't see how it's in best game of the year/all time list
    Cause they tacked on a boring plot to do with mental health issues?
    Other than that it's fairly rudimentary platforming that's been done before to death, and without the character of meat boy.
    Besides the dude in the hotel the characters are all bland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Asus X540L wrote:
    This is one of the most overrated games of recent memory It's good, but I don't see how it's in best game of the year/all time list Cause they tacked on a boring plot to do with mental health issues? Other than that it's fairly rudimentary platforming that's been done before to death, and without the character of meat boy. Besides the dude in the hotel the characters are all bland

Ah here! ,my GOTY so far albeit from a limited field

Asus X540L wrote: »
    This is one of the most overrated games of recent memory
    It's good, but I don't see how it's in best game of the year/all time list
    Cause they tacked on a boring plot to do with mental health issues?
    Other than that it's fairly rudimentary platforming that's been done before to death, and without the character of meat boy.
    Besides the dude in the hotel the characters are all bland

I way prefer all the characters and style of this over super meat boy

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1069834900860153857

Classified as a beta feature on PC, coming soon to consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Free for Xbox gold people in January also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

B side levels are the stuff of nightmares

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    B side levels are the stuff of nightmares

There’s C-sides as well :pac:

I completed enough B-sides to unlock the ‘good’ ending, two or three maybe. While undoubtedly hard, there’s something about the game that makes me less frustrated than similar ones. Maybe just the fluidity of the mechanics, or the one screen checkpoints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reminds me a lot of super meat boy. I think I've recovered from the PTSD that game gave me to have a crack at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

This game is really addictive, I said I was going to take a break after the summit, as it took me long enough, at it on and off since launch. But I really want to see what happens
    in core
    , so back after the items I need.

For those of you that enjoy the pain, some more details of what is on the way in upcoming dlc.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1083920264461570048

I finished this off and streamed it. Managed a world record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha, we need a name change up in here, partyjungle to firsttime :pac:

Wow this game does not **** around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Got introduced to this by a friend over the weekend who love my love-in with Super Meat Boy in person...and yep, it's right up my alley as I suspected! Going to be purchased in the not-too-distant future (have a couple of titles to tip away on and once I get this, that could be the end for them).

🤪

What a game, what a ****ing game. The first few chapters, I thought this was your usual platform em up but between the story and ingenious level design, I was hooked. Just reached the summit and even though my fingers are in bits, I absolutely loved it.

Finished at 6 hours 59 minutes, 1246 deaths and 23 of 175 strawberries. Honestly I gave up collecting strawberries at chapter 2 as I knew I'd drive myself mad if I tried to get all of them. I found one been which I saw what it was gonna unlock at the end. No crystal hearts :(

Oh ****, there's a
    core...

Ah ****, I'm guessing I need 4 crystal hearts :(

Edit: just tried a B side, that can **** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

nix wrote: »
    haha, we need a name change up in here, partyjungle to firsttime :pac:

Name change is certainly required :D. Great job though, well done :p

• Advertisement

I don't mind admitting I turned on assist mode towards the end to aid with getting though it and the achievements. My time in Pico-8 was 36 minutes or so with 512 deaths 8 of those minutes spent on the last screen. I regret using assist now as Pico-8 was harder in many ways than much of the base game. (no assist in Pico-8 and you can't cling to walls)

In the end it was some random twitches that saw me to the summit.

Much better game than the likes of meat boy over all especially in that they basically had a cheat mode to get you through the game if you got stuck and there was a decent tale to be told in it.

And yeah I dashed through the B and C sides :D

Finally picked this up last night, im a good chunk through chapter 7 so safe to say im loving it. The aul thumbs starting to get sore though so gonna take a break for the night :D

I find it hard to not go for strawberries when i see them, so have only left 1 or 2 behind as they looked like a pain in the arse to get, alot of the ones i did get were tough also but i was alot less stressed at the time i came upon them :D

What do the B-side tapes do? do they open up a new part of the level or?

Anybody try and collect everything? is it a monster pain in the arse? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Exceptional (even by GMT standards) video about the game’s movement mechanics here. An accessible deep dive into what gives this stellar game such oomph.

Really interesting video. Never knew about most of those techniques and the breakdown of the numbers and non-punishing mechanics was fascinating too. Another game where they focused on getting the movement right before tackling the game itself (but then going back and ripping up levels if movement changes were needed!)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Really interesting video. Never knew about most of those techniques and the breakdown of the numbers and non-punishing mechanics was fascinating too. Another game where they focused on getting the movement right before tackling the game itself (but then going back and ripping up levels if movement changes were needed!)

If you like that video, this is well worth a look also - its about Dead Cells, and how it doesn't let the mechanics of the game get in the way of the fun.

Very interesting. Dead Cells is one of the games on my to-play list. Like the subtle movement tweaks to make things easier as well as the ability to cancel (can be very frustrating otherwise). Level design sounds a little like Spelunky's approach (think that was a Gamemaker's Toolkt video too).

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Very interesting. Dead Cells is one of the games on my to-play list. Like the subtle movement tweaks to make things easier as well as the ability to cancel (can be very frustrating otherwise). Level design sounds a little like Spelunky's approach (think that was a Gamemaker's Toolkt video too).

Dead cells is an absolute stormer,

pro tip - do not unlock the spartan sandals!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I absolutely love Dead Cells. Fantastic game!

Why not unlock the Spartan Sandals though?

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yeah, I absolutely love Dead Cells. Fantastic game!

Why not unlock the Spartan Sandals though?

to keep them out of the loot pool of weapons that you can pick up, (I personally hate them anyway). :D

• Advertisement

Yeah the spartan sandles suck, they can do good damage but very situational.

I myself got tired of the game, loved it but having to start at the beginning every death wears you down, even with all the weapons/upgrades you unlock. Pretty sure i was at the last boss (
    kings guard
    ) and he was a massive difficulty jump and having to go through the entire game again just to get an attempt in was far too frustrating and time consuming :(

I'm sure the more i grinded would have made it easier little by little, but that just bored me to be honest.

Advertisement