Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hip Gigs 2018

Options
  • 16-01-2018 11:34am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New year, new list of gigs happening.

The first one I've seen announced is a decent one for alot of folk on here.

The Game - The Wright Venue - March 23rd

No idea what it's like as a venue, but it's a big name. I just hope it's not one of those 'appearance' things being advertised as a live performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Game - The Wright Venue - March 23rd

€24.42 – €378.45, what a bargain!

Rapsody's playing The Workmans on March 6th, €22. Should be great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'll be at Rapsody.

Open Mike Eagle is in the Sugar Club on the 21st March. That'll be another good 'un.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GrandMaster Flash - Feb 22nd - Opium Rooms
    Dk Mek on support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Oooh I must see Open Mike Eagle I'm a fan of him for years.

The Pharcyde are playing Monroe's in Galway on March 15 and The Game is playing there on the 22 of March.

• Advertisement

Wiki - April 20th - Workmans

http://districtmagazine.ie/wiki-set-to-perform-in-dublin-this-april/

Anyone at Kendrick last night, I'm annoyed that I didn't try to go as I've heard some very positive reviews.

February 24th

Rap is Full battles. TheSaurus is battling OShea. Other big UK battlers like Dialect & Bobby Rex taking part. Plus, me.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/153105365459432/

Naive Ted is playing a BYOB event in Dublin that night as well. His live set these days is cray. https://m.facebook.com/events/488403778227467

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

G-Eazy in the Olympia, Tuesday 5th June.

Wednesday 6th June has just been added due to demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Was at Kendrick on Wednesday. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The Pharcyde are playing Monroe's in Galway on March 15 and The Game is playing there on the 22 of March.

Damn Game sold out. :(

• Advertisement

Just found out Waka Flocka Flame is playing an 'intimate' gig in the Sugar Club on March 12th.

Hoping that entails him jumping on tables going BRIIIIICKKKSQUUUAAAAD in your face. Wouldn't usually go to Dublin on a Monday but this is definitely an act I've had on my bucket list for a while just not quite keen enough to travel to London specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

coming to netflix in march

2nd march Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest

23rd March: The Defiant Ones:
    traces the rise of music moguls Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine and chronicles their groundbreaking partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

peteeeed wrote: »
    coming to netflix in march

2nd march Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest

23rd March: The Defiant Ones:
    traces the rise of music moguls Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine and chronicles their groundbreaking partnership.

Two quality Docs, highly recommend both

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Big time, the defiant ones is great, Jimmy Iovine is some dude.

DJ Nu-Mark - The Hanger - April 26th
    Brockhampton - Helix - August 22nd

Pharoahe Monch - 31st March - Sugar Club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I've noticed alot lately especially from the new breed of hip hop that all the live gigs the artists seems to be rapping over the actual track as opposed to an instrumental.. Just seems a bit weird..

Stab*City wrote: »
    I've noticed alot lately especially from the new breed of hip hop that all the live gigs the artists seems to be rapping over the actual track as opposed to an instrumental.. Just seems a bit weird..

Yup, it's f*cking weird. They hardly even perform their songs anymore.
    The biggest f*cker I've seen for it is Desiigner, he only performs one song, has done it a billion times and still can't do the whole thing by himself.

But all the new rappers with 'Lil' in their names can't do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kendrick and NERD playing EP
    DYU6PUmX4AEnvTc.jpg

Waka Flocka was very, very good. Did a good hour and a half of moshing about in the crowd, running around the venue and generally having stupid energy and delivery. Pleasure to see people use gimmicks like playing house of pain or some EDM for 30 seconds but then getting onto the next thing before it outstays its welcome.

After seeing a few acts like Slick Rick with abominable DJ's it was a pleasure to have DJ Whoo Kid who was filming ****, adlibbing and djing perfectly throughout. His set beforehand was fiiyah.

Performing over a backing track is something I don't think is necessarily bad in itself but it needs to be done well, and not continuously. Like it should be mixed differently than the retail maybe so the vox aren't as crazy loud as they tend to be on many rap songs in 2018. I've been at a lot of sets where I can't hear the rapper, or I the beats turned down too low so I can hear the rapper, and the vibe was so dead a bit of miming along would have been welcome! A lot of rnb performers switch back and forth between mimed and sung bits so they can dance or do other crowd interaction.

• Advertisement

Missed Wiki on Monday night, only got a reminder about it today
    Also forgot to go to Rapsody last week.

I'm slipping.

Boom_Bap wrote:
    Missed Wiki on Monday night, only got a reminder about it today Also forgot to go to Rapsody last week.

Wiki is playing on April 20 in the Workman's Club

Wiki is playing on April 20 in the Workman's Club

Phew......it must have been a different WIKI that wa on support for Rejjie Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I'll be at Rapsody.

Open Mike Eagle is in the Sugar Club on the 21st March. That'll be another good 'un.

Yeah I'm also looking forward to seeing milo as support at this. I was big into I wish my brother Rob was here and milo takes baths, now I'm kinda playing catch up with his other albums before the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Anyone at the game gig last night in galway? Saw some ups on youtube, id say it was a decent gig from the looks of it. Saw him 4 times in dublin back in the day.

Action Bronson - July 18th - The Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Action Bronson - July 18th - The Academy

Think I'll get tickets for this one, been to see him twice before. Always puts on a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hiphophead2003

According to the Academy website, Talib Kweli is doing a gig in November. The Souls of Mischief (lads who made 93 Till Infinity) are doing a show in the Sugar Club soon too.

Action Bronson's always whopper live.

• Advertisement

Talib Kweli is not great live, I'd only go to see him if he was on stage with Yasin Bey :)

Souls of Mischief should be good.

Action Bronson is deadly....I'd also recommend trying to get a hug of him. Best hugs ever.

Advertisement