Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

• 01-12-2017 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Probably time to open a new thread for the 2018 season?

Silly season is still in full swing as we all know with Williams and Sauber not having confirmed their line ups as yet.

What are people's opinions on the Halo and Alfa Romeo for 2018?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Probably time to open a new thread for the 2018 season?

Silly season is still in full swing as we all know with Williams and Sauber not having confirmed their line ups as yet.

What are people's opinions on the Halo and Alfa Romeo for 2018?

Thumbs down to the halo.

Thumbs up to Alfa Romeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Thumbs down to the halo.

Thumbs up to Alfa Romeo.

Can't say i'm a fan of the halo myself, i know it's in the name of safety, but can a sport be too safe?

This link is a mock up of a Sauber in Alfa livery, oh how i would love it :D

https://www.google.ie/search?q=alfa+romeo+sauber+f1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK686_vOnXAhVLvxQKHZ3OAJ8Q_AUICigB&biw=1517&bih=735#imgrc=TLTjJeb8CKtAxM:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

24059164_1661873467205709_7900455602648890458_n.jpg?oh=6b10a6be9ee9576d1259a2bbe685f96f&oe=5A90764A

The press release had some red on it, so I would say we will see some of that on the car.

f28666fbc5bc964cc2322b13b7ba8fd2.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    I remain to be convinced on the Alfa Romeo revival, if it's just going to be a repeat of the Jaguar Racing sham then I would struggle to care less to be honest.

Jaguar was a huge disappointment.

2 podiums in 5 seasons was very poor.

Stewart Ford were more successful in few seasons and Red Bull, well we all know that story.

It will probably turn into an outright purchase of the Sauber team i reckon.

I'll be disappointed though if Marcus Ericcson is kept on.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    24059164_1661873467205709_7900455602648890458_n.jpg?oh=6b10a6be9ee9576d1259a2bbe685f96f&oe=5A90764A

The press release had some red on it, so I would say we will see some of that on the car.

Is that definitely the livery?

Is that definitely the livery?

No no, thats autosports version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Reminds me a bit of a marussia, nice to see a shamrock on the grid again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The halo is awful.

Good to see the Alfa name back but it's really just a title sponsorship agreement at the moment from what I can see.

I'm super excited to see Leclerc on the grid, I have a ticket on the hype train. He has been brilliant in F2 and looks very much the real deal.

Also there's Kubica hopefully

g1983d wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of a marussia, nice to see a shamrock on the grid again ��

Interesting story about it here, its actually not a shamrock, its a 4 leaf clover. It was put on the cars for luck. - https://jalopnik.com/why-do-italian-alfas-wear-irish-shamrocks-1545666396

• Advertisement

Interesting story about it here, its actually not a shamrock, its a 4 leaf clover. It was put on the cars for luck. - https://jalopnik.com/why-do-italian-alfas-wear-irish-shamrocks-1545666396

The back of Irvine’s helmet carried a Shamrock in his Ferrari days. Wonder was his decision connected to the Alfa/Ferrari thing even though of his own admission he’s Irish.

This is making less than comfortable reading for me.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42199674

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surprised with Ericsson still being on the grid. Has never shown much worthwhile form and there are better experienced drivers available.

kksaints wrote: »
    Surprised with Ericsson still being on the grid. Has never shown much worthwhile form and there are better experienced drivers available.

Definitely.

Only 5 times has be scored points in his career,all in the 2015 season.

8 MAL
    10 BHR
    10 BEL
    10 ITA
    9 SIN

Leclerc was a given but very surprised Ericsson still on the grid. Has shown no progress so far in his F1 career.

That sample livery they had was a bit ugly, some of the ones floating online done by fans were miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It’s a very dull concept livery, though that candy apple red is lovely. More of that please.

Ericsson needs to come good very early next year, or risk being dumped rapidly. He’s very lucky to retain the seat for now. Wonder what he brought to the team to keep it though.

What's people thoughts on Wehrlein for next year? Mercedes reserve driver and a race seat in DTM perhaps?

Wonder will Giovinazzi run in another series along with his Saucer reserve role ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

It's funny how quickly things change in F1. This time last year, Wehrlein was being touted as a potential replacement for Rosberg. But now, it's looking highly likely that he will without a drive for 2018 and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Toto is hoping Kubica doesn't get the Williams drive so he can put in Werhlin in the seat. I'd prefer Sirotkin than Werhlin. Still think Werhlin has a bad attitude. Just can't seem to warm to him.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Toto is hoping Kubica doesn't get the Williams drive so he can put in Werhlin in the seat. I'd prefer Sirotkin than Werhlin. Still think Werhlin has a bad attitude. Just can't seem to warm to him.

Toto seems resigned to Kubica getting the seat.

Based on the article i posted this morning on this thread i don't know what to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jaysus is that the best they could come up with? That's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Serious lack of effort from the design department

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cagedbutterfly

Would like to see Kubica get the Williams seat but considering how tough these cars are to drive would his restricted arm movement become an issue over the course of a season? Especially when you have the back to back races?

Really not liking the halo and to be honest any mock ups I've seen so far has done nothing to change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its looks terrible. Red and blue with a gold stripe along the side would look great if done right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its looks terrible. Red and blue with a gold stripe along the side would look great if done right.

Take this years Blue/White/Gold livery. Change the blue to the red from that concept. Not sure whether to change the white for something else, but there’s the basis for the new livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say kubica will get the seat.
    If he is quicker than stroll, then the story around him alone will likely make it worthwhile for a season even if he is not at his best.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd say kubica will get the seat.
    If he is quicker than stroll, then the story around him alone will likely make it worthwhile for a season even if he is not at his best.

Albert Park will be a sell out for fans and media alike if he gets the seat.

Is there anything comparable in recent history to the Kubica story?

Zanardi’s case is very different to that of Kubica before anyone mentions the fantastic efforts he made.

I think losing both legs versus a disfigured arm are incomparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep williams and kubica will be the story for the early part of the season if he gets it.

• Advertisement

Would Monaco be the toughest challenge of all for him? Or Baku?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cagedbutterfly

I'd guess Monaco - short circuit with constant corners is bound to takes its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Id also say Monaco. Singapore would be another hard track.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hungary is also a bend after bend sort of track Kubica tested for Renault there and that appears to have been the end of his involvement with that team.
    I think he will be signed for 2018 but overall not going a regular sight in Q2 or Q3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Is there anything comparable in recent history to the Kubica story?

Zanardi’s case is very different to that of Kubica before anyone mentions the fantastic efforts he made.

I think losing both legs versus a disfigured arm are incomparable.

Alessandro Nannini got his arm severed and that was reattached. But he never made it back to a F1 race but instead went to touring car racing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

Harika wrote: »
    Alessandro Nannini got his arm severed and that was reattached. But he never made it back to a F1 race but instead went to touring car racing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

Yeah the helicopter crash.

Japan 1989 being his sole victory in controversial circumstances.

Balestre? Anyone remember him :pac:

I don’t think anyone has made it back to F1 after life altering injuries really. Well not in the last 20 years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Yeah the helicopter crash.

Japan 1989 being his sole victory in controversial circumstances.

Balestre? Anyone remember him :pac:

I don’t think anyone has made it back to F1 after life altering injuries really. Well not in the last 20 years anyway.

Lauda would be the example I can think of.

Harika wrote: »
    Lauda would be the example I can think of.

Yeah, probably the closest comparison really thinking about it.

Ross Brawn is looking at bringing 3 new manufacturers into the sport in the form of Porsche, Aston Martin and Lamborghini,well 2 if you consider Aston Martin are already there as a Red Bull title Sponsor.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/887088/F1-News-Ross-Brawn-Manufacturers-Porsche-Aston-Martin-Lamborghini

Ross Brawn is looking at bringing 3 new manufacturers into the sport in the form of Porsche, Aston Martin and Lamborghini,well 2 if you consider Aston Martin are already there as a Red Bull title Sponsor.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/887088/F1-News-Ross-Brawn-Manufacturers-Porsche-Aston-Martin-Lamborghini

It could be great for the sport is F1 can get the big name manufacturers into it. That's a big IF though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Yeah, probably the closest comparison really thinking about it.

Johnny Herbert made it into F1 after nearly losing both his feet

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    Johnny Herbert made it into F1 after nearly losing both his feet

Brands Hatch 1988, an F3 race wasn't it?

Loads of examples out there, just can't think of something similar to Kubica's injuries and returned to F1 after it.

Zanardi did drive a BMW Sauber in 2006, 5 years after losing his legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoTl4e-2tKk

Kubica was lucky not to lose his own foot/feet in Canada 2007.

I'd say the injuries to Herbert still seriously hampered him in F1 even though he was there over a decade.

The injuries to Martin Donnelly were probably worse again even though a come back never happened there either.

Kubica for the second seat.

Sirotkin for the 3rd driver role will do nicely.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133429/kubica-90%25-of-my-driving-is-the-same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Just found that BetStars have a market up for Williams next driver:

https://www.betstars.eu/#/motor_sports/outrights/6444182

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Just found that BetStars have a market up for Williams next driver:

https://www.betstars.eu/#/motor_sports/outrights/6444182

I’m hopeless when it comes to bookmakers.

Does that mean Kubica is the favourite?

I’m hopeless when it comes to bookmakers.

Does that mean Kubica is the favourite?

Kubica odds on favourite. DiResta 5/1 against is second.

I would have thought Sirotkin to have better odds than DiResta, unless the bookies know something we don't?!

The headline says "Robert Kubica test results revealed" but it doesn't actually reveal anything at all, the headline lap time everyone knew last week. Paddy didn't 'reveal' anything new, they've just reused the soundbites he gave after the test. So they know nothing new and, it's a clickbait article. I wish I could take back that click....

skipper_G wrote: »
    The headline says "Robert Kubica test results revealed" but it doesn't actually reveal anything at all, the headline lap time everyone knew last week. Paddy didn't 'reveal' anything new, they've just reused the soundbites he gave after the test. So they know nothing new and, it's a clickbait article. I wish I could take back that click....

I didn’t even read the article upon seeing the headline :o

Both Kubica and Paddy were interviewed during the Autosport awards last night. It was nice to hear them talk about this situation, and to listen to their view points. I would love it for Kubica to make the comeback. And on the face of it, it does just seem to be a paperwork problem to get him back in the car. We'll see what happens in the coming months!

• Advertisement
Advertisement