Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are human activities influencing the climate?

Options
  • 08-09-2017 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Well it's hurricane season again and the usual scaremongering is well and truly underway.

I don't believe we are having anywhere near the the kind of influence on climate as is constantly suggested. Just far too many processes and conditions involved that anything us humans are doing is small fry in the great scheme of things.

Now there is now a whole multi-billion dollar industry out there... on par with the oil industry... with peddling the existence of human influenced catastrophic climate change.

To what extent are humans influencing the climate? 521 votes

Major Influence
    0% 0 votes
    Minor Influence
    100% 521 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Now there is now a whole multi-billion dollar industry out there... on par with the oil industry... with peddling the existence of human influenced catastrophic climate change.

And so, what, 97% of scientists have been bought off by the side with more clout than the oil industry?

Checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well it's hurricane season again and the usual scaremongering is well and truly underway.

I don't believe we are having anywhere near the the kind of influence on climate as is constantly suggested. Just far too many processes and conditions involved that anything us humans are doing is small fry in the great scheme of things.

It doesn't matter what you believe, man made climate change is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Hold on, I'll just check under the pope's hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

The world is using its natural resources 1.7 times faster than it should be.

How we currently live, our economy and society, is in absolutely no way sustainable.

To suggest that we are only having a minor impact on the the world's climate when we are polluting an overpopulated planet while fracking and deforestation take place is borderline madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Your opinions are unacceptable OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

https://goo.gl/images/vvukch

https://goo.gl/images/NPvHNo

There's a misconception that all opinions no matter how stupid, ill educated or misinformed are equal.

They are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Evil environmental activists and organisations staffed by volunteers and with very small cash reserves are working with poorly-funded scientists and universities in a grand conspiracy to <????> and the only people standing in their way are some plucky oil companies, billionaires and politicians.

Seems legit.

elefant wrote: »
    And so, what, 97% of scientists have been bought off by the side with more clout than the oil industry?

Checks out.
    Grayson wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you believe, man made climate change is real.
    Your opinions are unacceptable OP
    https://goo.gl/images/vvukch

https://goo.gl/images/NPvHNo

There's a misconception that all opinions no matter how stupid, ill educated or misinformed are equal.

They are not.
    seamus wrote: »
    Evil environmental activists and organisations staffed by volunteers and with very small cash reserves are working with poorly-funded scientists and universities in a grand conspiracy to <????> and the only people standing in their way are some plucky oil companies, billionaires and politicians.

Seems legit.

Am I the only one who can see that the OP isn't denying climate change? :confused:

This nonsense is what kills discourse. You think you're gonna convince him it's major instead of minor with your pitchforks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hang on where are the Earth is Flat/It's all sunspots/No Never Not At All options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't know if you can necessarily blame humans for the recent spate of horrible storms in America and Asia but you have to have your head buried very deep up your own arsehole to not think that our rapidly increasing population and the rampant over-consumption that comes with it, not to mention things like greenhouse gases, mass polution, deforestation and weapon-testing causing tremors a thousand miles away, isn't impacting the planet.

We're like a swarm of greenfly infecting a flowerbed and it isn't going to stop until we've destroyed the whole lot.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who can see that the OP isn't denying climate change? :confused:
    Yes, you are the only who sees that.

Because the OP is denying climate change. He calls it "scaremongering". He claims "anything us humans are doing is small fry", and that there is a multi-billion dollar industry "peddling" the existence of something he doesn't believe exists.

So yes, you are the only one who thinks that the OP isn't denying climate change.

Because he is.

Any any pedantic nonsense of "I'm not denying climate change, just man-made climate change", can fnck right off.

The climate is changing rapidly, and it's man-made. It's undeniable at this stage.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't know if you can necessarily blame humans for the recent spate of horrible storms in America and Asia but you have to have your head buried very deep up your own arsehole to not think that our rapidly increasing population and the rampant over-consumption that comes with it, not to mention things like greenhouse gases, mass polution, deforestation and weapon-testing causing tremors a thousand miles away, isn't impacting the planet.

We're like a swarm of greenfly infecting a flowerbed and it isn't going to stop until we've destroyed the whole lot.

His poll options were Minor and Major. He didn't even leave an None option.

Wtf happened boards recently? You're like the people who never read articles, even when there's no article.

Because the OP is denying climate change. He calls it "scaremongering". He claims "anything us humans are doing is small fry", and that there is a multi-billion dollar industry "peddling" the existence of something he doesn't believe exists.

So yes, you are the only one who thinks that the OP isn't denying climate change.

Because he is.

Any any pedantic nonsense of "I'm not denying climate change, just man-made climate change", can fnck right off.

The climate is changing rapidly, and it's man-made. It's undeniable at this stage.

Look at the poll. His "small fry" is "minor", not "none". And it's a valid question.. Are people not allowed to discuss this anymore?

Something that I think sceptical people forget is that while the earth looks quite big, it's actually quite small and the thickness of the usable atmosphere is about 5 miles, much beyond that and you're sucking space. There are now over 7 billion people and their machines and livestock all chucking out CO2 plus a huge list of pollutants, the shock should be that we are not having a measurable effect, not that we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Oh good, I've just finished reading the Anti-Vaxx thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well let's put it this way, humans aren't helping the rate of climate change. Watched a documentary the other day on the big freeze back millions of years ago and what contributed to it was too much oxygen in the atmosphere due to evolving plant life.
    Green house gases were reduced significantly and so the earth froze.
    I think this only proves it can happen both ways and the balance is fragile but hey we'll plough on regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Because he is.

I'm not denying climate change... which on it's own is natural anyway. I'm just not sure to what extent humans are influencing it... nobody is, not even those "97% of scientists" people like you keep referencing... to whom are you referring? The IPCC?? A lot of scientists have their names on that panel and they don't even know why.

The problem is the herd mentality as has been seen so far in this thread. If a scientist show even the slightest of doubt it is the end of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well let's put it this way, humans aren't helping the rate of climate change

That statement can be taken both ways.

Look at the poll. His "small fry" is "minor", not "none". And it's a valid question.
    It's "a question". A valid question is one which has merit. This question no longer has merit, it's now up there with "Is the earth round?".
    Are people not allowed to discuss this anymore?
    We're discussing it right now. OP is full of sh1t. That's discussion.

I might seem dismissive, and that's because I am. When you treat questions like, "Is the earth flat", "are humans causing climate change", "do vaccines cause autism" with any kind of respect, then you partially legitimise them.

These are all solved questions with indisputable answers. Therefore giving them time of day only serves to legitimise them. They're not "valid" questions. They're stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have no idea what percentage of climate change is due to humans. Scientists say at the moment it's a lot, so we'll go with that until/if it's disproven. In the meantime, moving to greener power sources, reducing pollution etc isn't a bad thing to be doing even if the current models are all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

earth_temperature_timeline.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know. I did believe all the scientists, but now the OP has swayed me.

c_man wrote: »
    I have no idea what percentage of climate change is due to humans. Scientists say at the moment it's a lot, so we'll go with that until/if it's disproven. In the meantime, moving to greener power sources, reducing pollution etc isn't a bad thing to be doing even if the current models are all wrong.

Reducing the consumption of finite resources is a no-brainer unless you are an idiot, esp if you have children/grand-children. They are the ones who'll be picking up the bill for our lazy indulgences.

It's "a question". A valid question is one which has merit. This question no longer has merit, it's now up there with "Is the earth round?".

We're discussing it right now. OP is full of sh1t. That's discussion.

I might seem dismissive, and that's because I am. When you treat questions like, "Is the earth flat", "are humans causing climate change", "do vaccines cause autism" with any kind of respect, then you partially legitimise them.

These are all solved questions with indisputable answers. Therefore giving them time of day only serves to legitimise them. They're not "valid" questions. They're stupid questions.

You're equating a question about the extent of human activity on climate change, with flat earthers?

And you think you're helping and you're right. Well you're not.. It's a pathetic way to deal with someone who isn't even denying human's influence on the climate.

Seriously, just admit you only read the title.

If a scientist show even the slightest of doubt it is the end of their career.
    The scientist's job is not to doubt. It is to test. A scientist who "doubts" without evidence is already beginning to discredit themselves, because they should approach all questions with no assumption as to the outcome.

If a scientist were to present data which casts doubt on whether climate change is man-made, and that data were to stand up to independent assessment, then they would be applauded and celebrated.

Nobody wants man-made climate change to be real. We all desperately want it to not be happening. But so far all of the data, every single bit of it, has shown that it is happening, and it is being caused by human activity.

Even the 3% of climate change studies which casted doubt on this have on re-examination been shown to be massively flawed in the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm just not sure to what extent humans are influencing it...

Why do people feel entitled to have an opinion on something about which they have no fracking notion? Did you do your own research and found data that contradicts the ocean of evidence that human industry is causing climate change? If so, then publish it and see how the rest of the scientific community reacts.

Oh, you didn't do such research and you have no evidence? Then whence comes your insightful observations? Your 'common sense'? A dream? Did God tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Unless you're a climate scientist, you are not fit to judge these results, so your opinion carries no weight.

Seriously, just admit you only read the title.
    No, I read the whole OP. It's clear he denies that humans have any appreciable influence on the climate.

Ficheall wrote: »

We've all seen that but it doesn't answer his question about the extent of change it's having on the climate. Where on that graph does it suggest the effect is major instead of minor as the OP believes?
    All it says is the North-West passage opened. That's a localised temperature thing that does not equate to changing weather around the world.

I'm sick of the poisoning of every conversation about this sort of topic. It does far more harm than good. Just explain it with some actual facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is no actual proof of it at the moment. It's all theory. One thing almost all researchers would agree though, is that global warming is far better than global cooling.

Advertisement