Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,491 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have a great selection on DAB. In Donegal near the border. Certainly not from any of the 2RN tx.

Irish DAB has been somewhere on the scale between Neither Fish Nor Flesh and and a Dog's Breakfast. Are 2RN still sticking with the urban TXs? If so, why bother with it? It is either a viable transmission system or it isn't.

Was there any truth in the suggestion that the BBC had offered its stations free of charge to RTÉNL for Irish DAB? If they had taken it up, there was a golden opportunity for RTÉ Radio to be carried as a reciprocal in GB and NI, but the powers that be in Montrose weren't thinking ahead, and much as it pains the more Nationally-minded, having 5 Live on Irish DAB would have driven uptake.

But, to coin a phrase, we are where we are. Nowhere much further than when 'tests' started in 2006.

I am also near the border and I get nothing from the North. DAB in the North is not complete. Large areas in Armagh and Down and elsewhere get nothing. And the Camlough DAB transmitter has only a small number of stations compared to say Limavady. So they probably need to work on that before worrying about us.

The transmitters in the South probably cover an area bigger than Northern Ireland, so that makes them more than what could be called urban.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/dab/Limavady

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/dab/Camlough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Was there any truth in the suggestion that the BBC had offered its stations free of charge to RTÉNL for Irish DAB? If they had taken it up, there was a golden opportunity for RTÉ Radio to be carried as a reciprocal in GB and NI, but the powers that be in Montrose weren't thinking ahead, and much as it pains the more Nationally-minded, having 5 Live on Irish DAB would have driven uptake.

Wishful thinking more like, no spare capacity on the RTÉ licensed mux for the BBC services. Any such service would require BAI approval and a Comreg spectrum licence. In reverse no spare national capacity on the UK national muxes.
    Antenna wrote: »
    Would you reckon it is currently being transmitted from RTE Donnybrook rather than Threerock?

Could it be Kippure, it has been off-air all week?
    Is the DAB Ireland Mux 1 still transmitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Kippure's DAB Mux 1 is still going strong.

In fact, even though Aertel had it listed as having been off the air all week, I never experienced any outages whenever I was tuned into it.

Kippure's DAB Mux 1 is still going strong.

In fact, even though Aertel had it listed as having been off the air all week, I never experienced any outages whenever I was tuned into it.

In the other thread posters mentioned outages from Kippure over previous weeks

Update on the small-scale DAB+ mini-muxes

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/
    October 1st

Two minimuxes have popped up in Dublin on Blocks 5A and 5B. Both are being broadcast with 200w each from Donnybrook. 24 DAB+ services are on Block 5A and 23 on Block 5B, though not all have audio currently. All nine RTÉ services plus all 36 commercial stations across Ireland are expected to be on the two muxes. The multiplexes have been implemented by Viamux, a new company associated with the Manchester minimux operator Niocast.

http://www.viamux.com/
    http://www.viamux.com/ireland.html
    Viamux provided the Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI) and the Irish state broadcaster RTÉ with an innovative DAB+ radio network, broadcasting every station on the Irish Radioplayer. Located in Dublin, the system employs two DAB+ multiplexes which carry all 36 of Ireland’s commercial radio stations along with RTɒs nine services. The network also switches listeners seamlessly between the Irish Radioplayer app and free-to-air DAB+.

imag2106-copy_5_orig.jpg

kclr_5_orig.png

Viamux and Niocast, the Manchester small-scale mini-mux licencee, are both Niocom Group companies.
    RTÉ Radio is to be carried on the Manchester mux once the necessary regulatory issues are sorted.

Niocast Manchester mini-mux
    screenshot-2017-08-03-10-01-13_orig.png

Red represents DAB, Blue represents DAB+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

So what is the point of this trial? Is the goal to have all Irish radio stations available officially on dab+ some day?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    So what is the point of this trial? Is the goal to have all Irish radio stations available officially on dab+ some day?

i assume so. + to test a minny-mux in irish conditions.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Was it not possible for RTE or the IBI to engage an Irish company such as Total Broadcast to do this work?
    Does this mean license fee money going outside of the State for this or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jando11

Expunge wrote: »
    Was it not possible for RTE or the IBI to engage an Irish company such as Total Broadcast to do this work?
    Does this mean license fee money going outside of the State for this or not?
    It’s possible that the expertise in this relatively new area is not here domestically. DAB has been around for donkeys years but this small scale Linux stuff is new.. I was trying to get some info on it. It seems like it’s mostly software based now and not hardware based.
    Linux... eurgh.. tried learning it years ago and failed miserably..
    Ruined by windows I am

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/10/doing-the-dab-event-heads-for-belfast-next/

Doing the DAB: Belfast will be part of the Belfast Media Festival on 17th November, with speakers confirmed so far including people from the BBC and commercial radio operators in Northern Ireland.

On the list at the time of writing are:
    – Local broadcaster John Rosborough
    – Stuart Robinson and Mark Mahaffy from Bauer Radio, Northern Ireland
    – Michael Tumelty from BBC Northern Ireland
    – Larry Deeney from BBC Radio Foyle
    – Jimmy Buckland and Peter McVerry from Wireless Group
    – JP Coakley from RTÉ
    – Bryan Coombes from Arqiva
    – Ford Ennals from DRUK

Additionally, the Republic of Ireland’s public service broadcaster, RTÉ, will talk about future plans for digital radio.

• Advertisement

Updated channel list, audio is 48 kbit/s DAB+ Stereo

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ireland.html#tests

Dublin 1
    DAB+ Band III
    Block 5A: 174.928 MHz
    Allotment:
    Operator: RTÉ
    Sites: Donnybrook (200w)
    On-Air: September 2017

RTE Radio 1
    RTE 2FM
    RTE Lyric
    RTE RnaG
    RTE Gold
    RTE Radio 1Extra
    RTE Pulse
    RTE 2XM
    RTE Jr Radio
    Beat 102103
    C103 281A
    Clare fm
    Classic Hits 4fm
    Cork's 96fm
    Dublin's 98fm
    East Coast FM
    Dublins FM104
    Galway Bay FM
    KCLR
    Kfm
    Limerick Live 95
    Highland Radio
    Midlands 103

Dublin 2
    DAB+ Band III
    Block 5B: 176.640 MHz
    Allotment:
    Operator: RTÉ
    Sites: Donnybrook (200w)
    On-Air: September 2017

iRadio
    LMFM
    MidWest Radio
    Newstalk
    Northern Sound
    Ocean FM
    Dublin's Q102
    Radio Kerry
    Radio Nova
    Cork's Red FM
    Shannonside FM
    South East Radio
    Spin 1038 2834
    Spin South West
    Spirit Radio
    Sunshine 106.8
    Tipp FM
    Today FM
    WLR fm
    Raidio Failte
    Raidio na Life
    Raidio Ri Ra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Are those available yet?

I can see both blocks on my radio and I can listen to the RTE output, but not really sure how to get the other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I can only assume that they are capturing the online streams for the other commercial stations, and re-encoding them for the DAB mux. I can't imagine that all the commercial operators have an independent link back to RTE (especially for a trial), so this is probably the only way they can do it.

Probably doesn't matter much if they are being relayed on the MUX at only 48 kbit/s. DAB+ uses HE-AAC v2 - which is a great codec, but at 48 kbit/s you are going to get some compression artifacts.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I can only assume that they are capturing the online streams for the other commercial stations, and re-encoding them for the DAB mux. I can't imagine that all the commercial operators have an independent link back to RTE (especially for a trial), so this is probably the only way they can do it.
    According to the Viamux site there are 2 options

Viamux DAB in a Box
    We provide all your head-end equipment (antenna, amplifier, SDR and multiplex server) and install it at the transmission site. A DAB/DAB+ encoder is included for each of your client radio station locations so that audio is encoded at source to maintain the highest quality. Using the internet as the contribution circuit for encoded audio ensures that your ongoing operating costs are kept to a minimum.

Viamux DAB in the Cloud
    Your multiplex server and DAB/DAB+ encoders are co-located in our data centre. From here the 'blended' multiplexed stream is sent directly to your 'head-end' equipment at the transmission site using a virtual private network. Using the cloud ensures that your audio encoders and multiplex server benefits from our 24-hour system monitoring and on-site technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Can we listen to these stations yet? I retuned my car DAB radio in Liffey Valley earlier and all that came up were the RTE stations on DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Can we listen to these stations yet? I retuned my car DAB radio in Liffey Valley earlier and all that came up were the RTE stations on DAB.
    Surely at only 200W Tx power you'd probably have to be parked in the RTE car park to pick them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Doodah7 wrote: »

But does your car radio have dab+?

Low power transmission (200 W) from an antenna mounted on the side of a building in Donnybrook compared to hi-tower hi-power sites like Three Rock (14 kW) and Kippure (15 kW), Comreg Test & Trial licence most likely.

antenna_5_orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The Cush wrote: »
    Low power transmission (200 W) from an antenna mounted on the side of a building in Donnybrook compared to hi-tower hi-power sites like Three Rock (14 kW) and Kippure (15 kW), Comreg Test & Trial licence most likely.

antenna_5_orig.jpg

Even at 200w the coverage should be half decent from Donnybrook but it's really struggling. Even on a test licence they should at least be able to use the main tower with an aerial up top to see what urban coverage can be achieved at that power level.

The previous DB trial was using decent power from a significant height so even a minimux should make the best of its physical location. The Manchester minimux uses the Manchester One tower block doesn't it?

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I picked them up in Donnybrook this morning on a €20 radio from Aldi..

• Advertisement

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Even at 200w the coverage should be half decent from Donnybrook but it's really struggling. Even on a test licence they should at least be able to use the main tower with an aerial up top to see what urban coverage can be achieved at that power level.
    True. Unless all the "testers" are within the RTE campus! :)

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Even on a test licence they should at least be able to use the main tower with an aerial up top to see what urban coverage can be achieved at that power level.

Maybe this is being used as a test for sites where a high tower may not be available. These small-scale setups are designed to cover a small geographic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

The trial is being broadcast from Donnybrook.

It's not yet running at 200W. It's only meant for "on campus" testing at the moment.

At 200W coverage should go beyond the M50.

All stations received a local encoder from Viamux. Linux based Intel NUC box. All settings preset for them.

One of the main objectives is to demonstrate seamless handover from an app (in this case the Irish RadioPlayer) to terrestrial DAB transmissions on a smartphone.

More Music wrote: »
    One of the main objectives is to demonstrate seamless handover from an app (in this case the Irish RadioPlayer) to terrestrial DAB transmissions on a smartphone.
    Long term could this be the model for a national rollout?

More Music wrote: »
    The trial is being broadcast from Donnybrook.

It's not yet running at 200W. It's only meant for "on campus" testing at the moment.

At 200W coverage should go beyond the M50.

All stations received a local encoder from Viamux. Linux based Intel NUC box. All settings preset for them.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that information.

Viamux Éireann, Viamux as Gaeilge - http://www.viamux.com/viamux-eacuteireann.html

Viamux, the company installing and managing the two new small-scale DAB+ muxes has launched its website in 3 additional languages, German, French and Irish.
    VIAMUX

n réiteach ilphléach digiteach DAB/
    DAB+ raidió iontaofa ísealchostas
    Viamux DAB i mBosca

An réiteach ilphléacs 'amach as an mbosca' iomlán

Soláthraímid do gach trealamh ceann-deireadh (antenna, amplifier, SDR agus freastalaí ilphléacs) agus é a
    shuiteáil ag an suíomh tarchurtha. Cuimsítear ionchódóir DAB/DAB+ do gach ceann de do láithreacha stáisiún
    raidió do chliaint ionas go mbeidh an fhuaim ionchódaithe ag an bhfoinse chun an caighdeán is airde a
    choinneáil. Ag baint úsáide as an idirlíon mar chiorcad ranníocaíochta le haghaidh fuaime ionchódaithe,
    cinntítear go gcoimeádtar do chostais oibriúcháin leanúnacha ar a laghad.

Viamux DAB sa Cloud
    An réiteach 'DAB mar sheirbhís' a bhainistítear go hiomlán

Tá do fhreastalaí ilphléacs agus ionchódóirí DAB/DAB+ lonnaithe i ár n-ionad sonraí. Ón áit seo,
    cuirtear an sruth ilphléacsáilte 'chumasc' go díreach chuig do threalamh 'ceannlíne' ag an láithreán
    tarchuir ag baint úsáide as líonra príobháideach fíorúil. Cinntíonn an úsáid a bhaint as an scamall go
    mbainfidh d'ionchódóirí fuaime agus freastalaí ilphléacs leas as ár gcóras monatóireachta 24 uair an
    chloig agus tacaíocht theicniúil ar an láthair.

Chun níos mó glao a fhoghlaim
    ​+44 (0)161 696 7557
    Oibrímid le cliant mór
    agus beag

RTÉ

Thug Viamux Craoltóirí Neamhspleácha na hÉireann (IBI) agus craoltóir stáit RTÉ le líonra raidió DAB+
    nuálach, ag craoladh gach stáisiún ar Radioplayer na hÉireann. Lonnaithe i mBaile Átha Cliath,
    fostaíonn an córas dhá ilphléacs DAB+ a chuireann gach 36 stáisiún raidió tráchtála na hÉireann in
    éineacht le naoi seirbhís RTÉ. Lascraíonn an líonra éisteoirí freisin gan uaim idir an app Radioplayer
    Éireannach agus DAB+ saor in aisce.

Tuilleadh Eolais

niocast
    digital

Feidhmíonn Niocast Digital an ilphléacs raidió digiteach is daonra ar domhan. Lonnaithe i Manchester,
    Sasana, sheol an 'minimux' ar scála beag Dé hAoine an 28 Lúnasa 2015. Anois tugann sé 27 clár clár
    EAGGleictreach agus spreagúil DAB+, tugann an ilphléacs Niocast rogha d'éisteoirí gan choinne riamh
    don chathair agus soláthraíonn sé ardán riachtanach d'ábhar nua agus nuálaíocht formáid.

láithreán gréasáin niocast
    Tá an taithí againn oibriú leat i ngach
    gné den tionscadal DAB/DAB+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

These tests are coming in clearly now in Dublin 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scotty66

Loud and clear in Milltown. Quality seems excellent apart from Newstalk which is only coming out of one speaker! Still a few stations not playing.

I wonder would they extend the trial to areas outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Viamux people in Donnybrook on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/viamux/status/917631002310307840

Advertisement