Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When does Christmas begin and end?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Peatys wrote: »
    Our house it begins weekend after Halloween, ends day after Stephens day.

Then new years begins

So you celebrate Christmas when it’s not Christmas and don’t when it is and you claim to love Christmas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Caranica wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooo :( Nothing down before the 7th!

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It begins on 4th September every year. Once the sprogs return to school, Halloween is touched upon briefly, then the gouging begins. The adverts on TV up the ante from the beginning of November.

The ending varies from person to person. I believe it ends to coincide with the New Year (new me) bollexe, where the quality street gets replaced with Slimming World bars made from chipboard and the tears of obese broke people.

I actually love Christmas btw, time off work - what's not to love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I notice Christmas songs usually stop playing about the 27th or 28th of December yes technically it goes up to the 6th of January but the festive celebrations are already well passed by that stage so late December is generally what can be considered the end point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jan 6th is the end. We’re only just getting started.

I love the peace and quiet that comes after the rush in the run up to Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

dudara wrote: »
    Jan 6th is the end. We’re only just getting started.

I love the peace and quiet that comes after the rush in the run up to Christmas Day.

Me too. These next few days are the best giving time to relax and reflect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

So you celebrate Christmas when it’s not Christmas and don’t when it is and you claim to love Christmas?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I find the best and most relaxing time is that between now and Jan 7th. There is no rushing around, there is time to sit back and relax and enjoy it all. Nothing comes down before the 7th......I will only start taking the decs down on the 7th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Back in work today. Decorations will be taken down this evening when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I love my holly decorations. I love how the room looks. I spend the 12 Days of Christmas gazing at the decorations with a silly grin on my mug. The Christmas cake has been cut and stands invitingly on a pretty plate.

It does not end! never! please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of all the things I couldn't imagine New Years without the decorations.

Out of all the things I couldn't imagine New Years without the decorations.

Same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd also have the belief its nice having the decorations up when you get home from work to brighten the place up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Christmas as we celebrate it in Ireland is a Christian holiday and that means that our Christmas starts when Advent ends.
    Advent started on Dec 2 2018 and ended at midnight on Dec 24.
    Christmas ends on the Sunday after Jan 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maggiesm70

I'd also have the belief its nice having the decorations up when you get home from work to brighten the place up

good way of looking at it, when i was in school i hated coming come in january when the christmas lights were still up in the village, i'm the same now i hate having the decorations up when i'm back to work, i generally get back to normal on the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

christmas songs pulled on 26th from radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would love to know these people who take down the decorations early , do they put up the tree and decorations very early? i put up my tree around 21st of dec and down the 7th

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i would love to know these people who take down the decorations early , do they put up the tree and decorations very early? i put up my tree around 21st of dec and down the 7th

My tree goes up last weekend of November and down first weekend in January.

Mine went up on the 15 and will come down on New Year’s Day. I never go back to work with the decos up and 2 weeks is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

christmas songs pulled on 26th from radio
    If they didn't start playing them on the 1st December they could play them til January 6th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I got my tree up on 10th but was intensively busy until the 24th. I can't but feel disappointed how quickly Christmas was over on the 26th. No music on the radio etc. Said merry Christmas to someone in a store today and I was corrected with you mean happy New year. No, it's actually still Christmas! So annoying.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If they didn't start playing them on the 1st December they could play them til January 6th

Radio stations don’t start playing Christmas songs until Dec 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Loughc wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »

That's my point. December 1st is too early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Traditionally when I was a boy the Christmas season started on 8th December and ended on 6th January, the two Church holy days. I still stick with those dates to this day.

Loughc wrote: »

People like Christmas music but they don’t want to hear Christmas songs until it’s Christmas. Dec 1 isn’t Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

We never used to put decorations till mid December but not that the kids are a bit older and full of the Christmas spirit they want them up for the toy show. So now decorations are up for the whole of December.
    All back to work on Monday so decorations will be be down by Saturday. We have never left them up for new year..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My family celebrate and observe the Old Christmas. ie 40 days until Candlemas, Feb 2nd. We do this low key as we do Christmas, no huge hype. Outwardly visible decorations etc have been few and will quietly come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Graces7 wrote: »
    My family celebrate and observe the Old Christmas. ie 40 days until Candlemas, Feb 2nd. We do this low key as we do Christmas, no huge hype. Outwardly visible decorations etc have been few and will quietly come down.

Still widely practiced in eastern Europe graces7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Graces7 wrote: »

2nd Feb? That is also Groundhog Day at least in North America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Decorations all down now and house cleaned ... I have put up a few New Years decorations as we are having people over on New Year’s Eve.
    A month of decorations is more than enough..

Advertisement