Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got my stolen bike back!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Martina.J

No they kept him in for ages and went to his house and searched the place and questioned the other people that lived there about him, it was awful he said. This guy would never steal anything or do anything of that nature.
    Yeah but with the recession lots of people are selling stuff to raise a bit of money, all the articles for sale in the advertiser and buy and sell, if we only bought from retailers they would go out of business, I know that if you don't buy from the retailer there is always the possibility of something being stolen but that doesn't mean we will never buy anything from the buy and sell again. And about sussing someone out.... its not that easy to read people, anyone could get caught out. Well thats my opinion anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Brilliant to hear mate:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I love it, I just love it. Boards community FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

It does Martina. Its as simple as the stealing B@STARD is a retard! Stop defending the guilty its almost as if you know the person involved.

+1.

5 posts and all of them in defence of/making excuses for someone who was selling stolen goods............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Martina.J wrote: »
    No they kept him in for ages and went to his house and searched the place and questioned the other people that lived there about him, it was awful he said. This guy would never steal anything or do anything of that nature.
    Yeah but with the recession lots of people are selling stuff to raise a bit of money, all the articles for sale in the advertiser and buy and sell, if we only bought from retailers they would go out of business, I know that if you don't buy from the retailer there is always the possibility of something being stolen but that doesn't mean we will never buy anything from the buy and sell again. And about sussing someone out.... its not that easy to read people, anyone could get caught out. Well thats my opinion anyway...

Your mate was hauled over the coals by the cops was he - good! maybe now he'll think twice before he receives stolen goods.

Your position is unbelievable, almost suspect. IMO you are trawling now, stop defending the indefensible for the love of god.

What i'm saying is my friend didn't know the bike was stolen, the guards decided that he was innocent and they caught the person who did steal it.. There are two sides to every story.

All i'm saying is WHAT IF this guy didn't know it was stolen like my friend. Obviously someone stole the bike which was very low and i would go mad if it happened to me, but maybe this guy is innocent and is being put through all of this and the person who did steal it is still out there with his money.

What happened to the saying innocent until proven guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What happened to the saying "Caught red handed"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

hynesie wrote: »
    I asked that the thread be deleted just in case the seller spotted the thread; boards gets indexed really well by google.

FYP

If he is the one who stole it then he is a dick, but if he is not then its not very fair on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

What i'm saying is my friend didn't know the bike was stolen, the guards decided that he was innocent and they caught the person who did steal it.. There are two sides to every story.

All i'm saying is WHAT IF this guy didn't know it was stolen like my friend. Obviously someone stole the bike which was very low and i would go mad if it happened to me, but maybe this guy is innocent and is being put through all of this and the person who did steal it is still out there with his money.

...then what is the point in all your posts? if he is only guilty of recieving/handling stolen property, grand thats up to the Gardai to suss out and deal with.

the OP should of course brought them and be happy someone trying to sell his stolen bike is getting in some hot water. The OP doesn't care which crime he's guilt of(and he is guilty of one or more), he got his bike and the Gardai have a lead to investiage so great.

Jesus I'm only voicing my opinion, I thought that was what this site was about..

If you bought something from the buy and sell eg. radio, tv, bike something like that, would you mind if the guards came and arrested you kept you in for the day, searched your house and spoke to all your friends, family and neighbours about you... You would co operate as you have no choice but you wouldn't like it would you? Then how would you like a load of people calling you a retard and giving out about you when you didn't do anything??

Why dont you just wait til Hynesie finds out what the guards have to say after their investigation before you start judging people. If he is guilty then say what you want,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Glad to hear you got your bike back, I saw the other thread and was driving home a while ago and wondering to myself if you ever found out if it was your bike or not, logged in and seen your thread pretty much straight away.

This is a very badly worded account of what the solicitor of the accused will try and argue .............."but what if....." "ah jaysus your honour, he didn't know....."

The bike went missing on saturday night earliest, sunday night latest. The nature of ebay and the end time of the auction rules out 10, 7 and 3 day auctions leaving a 5 day auction as the most likely scenario. So counting backwards that means it went online sometime around 20:00 saturday evening. Meaning that hypothetically our poor wee victim of Garda brutality had the bike ( based on the op's suspected time of theft) for less than an evening before deciding to sell it on.

Highly unlikely. If you get offered a good bike for €50 then chances are its stolen and if you know enough to post a good description, then you know how much the like of a tricross is worth.

Selling of stolen goods should be the minimum penalty in this case. Even in the very unlikely event of being "innocent" of the theft it'll teach the seller not to handle suspect goods that look to good to be true - ie ones that are likely to be stolen.
    Davabo wrote: »
    Shes speaking the truth.

Based on the facts to hand? Highly unlikely. Anyway, is there something you and Martina J know about our poor little victim of the big brutal garda that the rest of us are blisfully ignorant of?

neilled wrote: »
    T
    Anyway, is there something you and Martina J know about our poor little victim of the big brutal garda that the rest of us are blisfully ignorant of?

enough asparagus. Back on the original topic folks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How do you know he stole it??? Maybe he is the one the person who stole it sold it to... I mean if you know you have a stolen bike you would hardly put it on ebay for the whole world to see!!!!
    Doesn't matter.

The goods belong to the original owner so if you buy stolen goods you have no comeback, and you can get done for it as it's illegal too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Well done your persistence, hard work and a little luck paid off.

We should all have a photo of the serial number in our phones. we should hold a register of numbers to our addresses that can only be accessed by ourselves. Would it be feasible to have a National Bike register on Boards.ie. If our bikes were stolen, we could log it. We could promote the site throught local bike shops. The numbers on the website could be checked by the public as owned or stolen. A previous owner/bike shop would be the person to register the new owner. Will work for a certain amount of bikes in the country. otherwise we could send an e-mail to yourselves with the numbers on it.

P.S. I did not get out myself, but there were loads out today enjoyng the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This is a very pleasing thread. It would have been lovely if the boardsies could have accompanied the owner and the Garda when recovering the bike in a group spin. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

Hey all,
    thanks for all the posts, didn't quite expect so many :P
    I don't want to go into too many details as the case is going to court but there is very little doubt that he knew it was stolen.

Is there an online registry somewhere where people can register the serial numbers of their bikes? Something that would allow you to change the online status of the bike if stolen. Then when you're buying a bike you can check the serial number against the registry.
    I did a quick google and there seems to be a few sites that offer a similar service, but I've no idea how good they are, anybody know?

There's nothing comparable the UK's immobilise database here - however some manufacturers allow you to register a bike online after you buy it. This sometimes can be used for proof of owership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

hynesie wrote: »
    Hey all,
    thanks for all the posts, didn't quite expect so many :P
    I don't want to go into too many details as the case is going to court but there is very little doubt that he knew it was stolen.

Is there an online registry somewhere where people can register the serial numbers of their bikes? Something that would allow you to change the online status of the bike if stolen. Then when you're buying a bike you can check the serial number against the registry.
    I did a quick google and there seems to be a few sites that offer a similar service, but I've no idea how good they are, anybody know?

this could be someting I might be interested in setting up, how would people feel about such a site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Gavin wrote: »
    Think. If you buy a bike for 50 quid and it's a decent bike, it's highly likely it's stolen. If the seller doesn't have a receipt and you don't know/trust them, then the buyer should be aware of the possibility of it being stolen. That's the nature of second hand goods. Buyer beware.
    +1 Caveat Emptor
    I had a Garmin Edge 705 stolen from my home just after Christmas. I posted here hoping it might be spotted for sale etc but no luck. But this thread has put a big grin on my face :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I'd been looking to buy a bike for about a month so you can bet that if it's for sale, I'd seen it. I'm glad my time procrastinating study for my finals paid off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is a great thread and a super result for everybody involved.

Lets not turn it into a bitch fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

KStaford wrote: »
    this could be someting I might be interested in setting up, how would people feel about such a site ?

Great idea!

Something I might suggest -> if you contact the manufacturer the first owner might have already registered the serial number so you've a lot of the work done already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Result - congratulations!

Pity RTE don't do something like Bad Boys or Road Wars, it would've been brilliant to see the scroat's face when you showed up with the Guards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KStaford wrote: »
    This was something that was mooted a while back, but I think most people were a bit apathetic about it, they reckoned the Gardai couldn't care less about using it to trace the owners of stoled bikes. It would be dead simple to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irwin

ahhh thats great news!!!

my bike got stolen last thursday...3 weeks old, forgot to take the serial number! raging!

but thats made me happy, that the lil scumbags are getting caught!icon6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just a thought for the OP - are you not afraid this guy is going to give you negative feedback on Ebay????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Well it takes a lot to make me smile on a Monday morning but this has really done the trick!

I'm delighted you got your bike back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

I love it. Well done Hynesie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

irwin wrote: »
    ahhh thats great news!!!

my bike got stolen last thursday...3 weeks old, forgot to take the serial number! raging!

:eek:

... [runs to the basement to write down his serial number]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

There's a UK database: http://www.immobilise.com/
    I think the police in the UK check it when they recover stolen goods - not much good in the Republic, but a handy place to keep the details in any case.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Great news for getting your bike back and for people helping you out. A good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

irwin wrote: »
    It may be printed on the receipt from the shop. I think it was for my last bike.

Exactly what I'm saying.

It's only my opinion, everyone is entitled to theirs and i'm entitled to mine. All i'm saying is I would reserve my judgement till I had all the facts.

Didn't want to offend anyone but didn't want to be ganged up on either

posts deleted. Stay on topic.

Bans next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

OP, any update on this?

Advertisement