Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 callum21

Hi all, congratulations to all who have got through. I did not do so well in stage 2 but eventually got called for an interview. (07th march) Anyone got any tips on how to control the nerves? I have read the interview and written report was very hard. How did you guys prepare yourselves?
    Thank you in advance for your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tanker88

Anyone have any clue of take home pay while in college for prison service?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Tanker88 wrote: »
    Anyone have any clue of take home pay while in college for prison service?

I know a few lads who went through training a while back and they said around €450 a week or thereabouts. I could be wrong now but they wouldn’t have done the training that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Passed my interview
    Depending on clearance how soon would Oct be and medical

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Bowrow wrote: »
    Passed my interview
    Depending on clearance how soon would Oct be and medical

Well done. Medical will be in the next month or so, you have one month to get it done then will get a date for pct a few weeks after. I was waiting 7 months for clearance so be prepared for a long wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Tanker88

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    I know a few lads who went through training a while back and they said around €450 a week or thereabouts. I could be wrong now but they wouldn’t have done the training that long ago.

Not alot but better than nothing starting out I suppose. One last thing. Does anyone know if prison service offers accommodation when in college in Dublin as I think they do offer accommodation in portlaoise?

Finally does anyone know how long both periods of training/college lasts?

Pip108 wrote: »
    Well done. Medical will be in the next month or so, you have one month to get it done then will get a date for pct a few weeks after. I was waiting 7 months for clearance so be prepared for a long wait

Thanks for reply
    I don't mind waiting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Not alot but better than nothing starting out I suppose. One last thing. Does anyone know if prison service offers accommodation when in college in Dublin as I think they do offer accommodation in portlaoise?

Training is 12 weeks afaik, 6 in the College and 6 in Wheatfield campus. Accommodation is provided in Portlaoise but not when your training in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BommerF90

Hi lads,found out i passed my interview,just wondering at what point might they contact your current job for a reference? Asking because I haven’t told them as of yet due to me moving up the ladder within the company recently and don’t want to jeopardise my chances in case this role doesn’t work out and the fact it’s such a drawn out process. Any bit of info would be very helpful. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

450 a week I'm making double that . How long does it take to get a decent wage in the job I know there's over time but don't want to be working all the time would have no life. How much does the wage go up by each year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Phillip k wrote: »
    450 a week I'm making double that . How long does it take to get a decent wage in the job I know there's over time but don't want to be working all the time would have no life. How much does the wage go up by each year ?

You won't get near 900 a week for quite some time

You won't get near 900 a week for quite some time

Really are we talking a good few years . Do you currently work in the prison service? Is it true prison officers and garda are on the same salary or would the garda get paid more ?

Really are we talking a good few years . Do you currently work in the prison service? Is it true prison officers and garda are on the same salary or would the garda get paid more ?

You're on rpo scale for 3 years anyway, so that should tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Does anyone know or have heard have they started giving out places for starting training in March ??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Does anyone know or have heard have they started giving out places for starting training in March ??

Hi Stephen, yeah i got my contract in the post yesterday.

You're on rpo scale for 3 years anyway, so that should tell you

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes i understand that. So really the only benefit of the job is a decent pension and secure job .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Hi Stephen, yeah i got my contract in the post yesterday.

No way... and do you mind me asking when you passed pct or oom, you can pm if you prefer

Hi I'm just wondering once I get called to for training. Can you still fail the college part or do you pretty much hsve the job? Thanks in advance

Hi I'm just wondering once I get called to for training. Can you still fail the college part or do you pretty much hsve the job? Thanks in advance

Yes you can fail

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Yes you can fail

I think what's being asked is "will one be sacked if one fails their college?" The short answer is yes.

The long answer involves one using their feminine charm to keep their job but I'm not sure how feminine PhilipK is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mgt10

Anyone in the march class

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jennyb053

Hi
    Did anyone do their interview on the 10th of Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

jennyb053 wrote: »
    Hi
    Did anyone do their interview on the 10th of Jan?

Yes

Luckymummy wrote: »
    Yes

Have you heard anything since? My oom is 8. Haven't heard any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CR84

Have you heard anything since? My oom is 8. Haven't heard any more.

I did mine same day, rang last week was told im in next batch for medical, which I should hear about within next 2-3 weeks.

CR84 wrote: »
    I did mine same day, rang last week was told im in next batch for medical, which I should hear about within next 2-3 weeks.

Who did you ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CR84

Who did you ring?
    IPS

Can anyone give some info regarding a typical fortnight working in a prison(hours+times etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Bowrow wrote: »
    Can anyone give some info regarding a typical fortnight working in a prison(hours+times etc)

On a typical roster you'll be due on seven days out of fourteen. Rosters can go from 8 to 16 week cycles depending on where you're working / your post etc. There's no one size fits all.

Typically, on a regular Officers roster you're on/off every second weekend so an 'average' 2 week schedule would look something like this: (based on 8 to 8 schedule but possibly with one or two anomalies which will vary from week to week)

ON: FRI/SAT/SUN
    OFF: MON/TUES
    ON: WEDS/THURS
    OFF: FRI/SAT/SUN
    ON: MON/TUES
    OFF: WEDS/THURS

There's a lot of variances in hours scheduled though and Nights will be thrown into the mix as well, usually seven nights spread over the 10/12/14/16 week cycle. Hours are also calculated over the spread of that cycle so you may be due on 30 hours this week but 54 next week for example. You then have 'overtime' (Annualised Hours) to cover as well.
    There's another variance - 8 to 5, Monday to Friday, again pretty much depending on where you're working and what job you're at. Most regular Officers will be on, and prefer, a version of the 7 day liability roster above though as it's easier to arrange days off etc and it carries extra allowances.

In reality there's too many rosters to definitively quote so it really only becomes apparent when you're posted to a specific location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭weadick

Interview next week...what is the average waiting time now between doing the interview and getting called for training?

I presume it's still taking donkeys years to get transferred into any of the jails outside Dublin?

Advertisement