Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Phillip k wrote: »
    450 a week I'm making double that . How long does it take to get a decent wage in the job I know there's over time but don't want to be working all the time would have no life. How much does the wage go up by each year ?

You won't get near 900 a week for quite some time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

You won't get near 900 a week for quite some time

Really are we talking a good few years . Do you currently work in the prison service? Is it true prison officers and garda are on the same salary or would the garda get paid more ?

Really are we talking a good few years . Do you currently work in the prison service? Is it true prison officers and garda are on the same salary or would the garda get paid more ?

You're on rpo scale for 3 years anyway, so that should tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Does anyone know or have heard have they started giving out places for starting training in March ??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Does anyone know or have heard have they started giving out places for starting training in March ??

Hi Stephen, yeah i got my contract in the post yesterday.

You're on rpo scale for 3 years anyway, so that should tell you

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes i understand that. So really the only benefit of the job is a decent pension and secure job .

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Hi Stephen, yeah i got my contract in the post yesterday.

No way... and do you mind me asking when you passed pct or oom, you can pm if you prefer

Hi I'm just wondering once I get called to for training. Can you still fail the college part or do you pretty much hsve the job? Thanks in advance

Hi I'm just wondering once I get called to for training. Can you still fail the college part or do you pretty much hsve the job? Thanks in advance

Yes you can fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Yes you can fail

I think what's being asked is "will one be sacked if one fails their college?" The short answer is yes.

The long answer involves one using their feminine charm to keep their job but I'm not sure how feminine PhilipK is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mgt10

Anyone in the march class

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jennyb053

Hi
    Did anyone do their interview on the 10th of Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

jennyb053 wrote: »
    Hi
    Did anyone do their interview on the 10th of Jan?

Yes

Luckymummy wrote: »
    Yes

Have you heard anything since? My oom is 8. Haven't heard any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CR84

Have you heard anything since? My oom is 8. Haven't heard any more.

I did mine same day, rang last week was told im in next batch for medical, which I should hear about within next 2-3 weeks.

CR84 wrote: »
    I did mine same day, rang last week was told im in next batch for medical, which I should hear about within next 2-3 weeks.

Who did you ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CR84

Who did you ring?
    IPS

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Can anyone give some info regarding a typical fortnight working in a prison(hours+times etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Bowrow wrote: »
    Can anyone give some info regarding a typical fortnight working in a prison(hours+times etc)

On a typical roster you'll be due on seven days out of fourteen. Rosters can go from 8 to 16 week cycles depending on where you're working / your post etc. There's no one size fits all.

Typically, on a regular Officers roster you're on/off every second weekend so an 'average' 2 week schedule would look something like this: (based on 8 to 8 schedule but possibly with one or two anomalies which will vary from week to week)

ON: FRI/SAT/SUN
    OFF: MON/TUES
    ON: WEDS/THURS
    OFF: FRI/SAT/SUN
    ON: MON/TUES
    OFF: WEDS/THURS

There's a lot of variances in hours scheduled though and Nights will be thrown into the mix as well, usually seven nights spread over the 10/12/14/16 week cycle. Hours are also calculated over the spread of that cycle so you may be due on 30 hours this week but 54 next week for example. You then have 'overtime' (Annualised Hours) to cover as well.
    There's another variance - 8 to 5, Monday to Friday, again pretty much depending on where you're working and what job you're at. Most regular Officers will be on, and prefer, a version of the 7 day liability roster above though as it's easier to arrange days off etc and it carries extra allowances.

In reality there's too many rosters to definitively quote so it really only becomes apparent when you're posted to a specific location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

Interview next week...what is the average waiting time now between doing the interview and getting called for training?

I presume it's still taking donkeys years to get transferred into any of the jails outside Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

weadick wrote: »
    Interview next week...what is the average waiting time now between doing the interview and getting called for training?

I presume it's still taking donkeys years to get transferred into any of the jails outside Dublin?

I say anything between 6 to 9 months after passing your interview by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

weadick wrote: »

I done my interview July and still waiting to be called for training

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    I done my interview July and still waiting to be called for training

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Same here.

Next class is May. March class is full and there is no class in April

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Same here.

Theres a class every 5-6 weeks and some people have being offered places for May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 deeodee

I'm starting in the May class and waited a full year for my clearance to come back, I was in the 2016 campaign.

Yeah I know ....I rang there last week

deeodee wrote: »
    I'm starting in the May class and waited a full year for my clearance to come back, I was in the 2016 campaign.

Wow..... do you mind me asking if you’ve a big family or relatives in other countries?

Wow..... do you mind me asking if you’ve a big family or relatives in other countries?
    I lived in England for awhile but my family is relatively small but some are abroad, I can only imagine that was my hold up.

I’m I the March class interview was in August pct February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Redzer99

mgt10 wrote: »
    I’m I the March class interview was in August pct February

What date is the March class starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Any advice for the interview/role play?

deeodee wrote: »

What date is the May class starting

March class is 25th

What date is the May class starting

The may class is the 7th of May, it's a Tuesday because the day before is a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SteveFlah

Hey I know there is a class on june 10th but does anybody know if there is a class starting in July?

SteveFlah wrote: »
    Hey I know there is a class on june 10th but does anybody know if there is a class starting in July?

They tend to skip months sometimes to get the pct's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

Any of ye have interview today? How did ye get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Hi. So I'm applying again in the 2019 recruitment. Just wondering did anyone do that career services course the stage 1 & 2 combined ? Did they find it helpful ? And stage 3 aswell from career services ? I heard it was cancelled last year. I might try to find interview coaching too.

Is there any recommendations anyone can give me? I was unsuccessful in 2018 by a small margin so hoping to get into stage 4 this year. If anyone can help.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭po candidate

Hi. So I'm applying again in the 2019 recruitment. Just wondering did anyone do that career services course the stage 1 & 2 combined ? Did they find it helpful ? And stage 3 aswell from career services ? I heard it was cancelled last year. I might try to find interview coaching too.

Is there any recommendations anyone can give me? I was unsuccessful in 2018 by a small margin so hoping to get into stage 4 this year. If anyone can help.
    Thanks

I did it for tests and interview. Flew through the lot and waiting on clearance now. Top 50 after stage 1 & 2 tests and top 15 after interview. I put alot of effort it at home too but don't think I would have done as well without course. If its really what you want to do then it's worth it. I did the online course for tests. It was €80 and then €160 I think for interview course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

Starting a 2019 campaign while people from 2016 panel still waiting for placement.

I did it for tests and interview. Flew through the lot and waiting on clearance now. Top 50 after stage 1 & 2 tests and top 15 after interview. I put alot of effort it at home too but don't think I would have done as well without course. If its really what you want to do then it's worth it. I did the online course for tests. It was €80 and then €160 I think for interview course.

Thats really good to hear! Thanks for replying to me. I'm going to do it for tests and interview aswell. Is clearance taking a long time for you? I tried my best last year with no course and I'm determined to do better and it's what I really want to do so it's worth the investment. I'm glad you found them helpful though and it's worth the money to me.

gavdolfini wrote: »
    Starting a 2019 campaign while people from 2016 panel still waiting for placement.

I'm glad they are starting a new campaign. Gives people another chance to apply. The garda are also starting a new 2019 campaign too with alot waiting.

gavdolfini wrote: »

You've seen how long it takes so there's no point in them waiting until they're desperate for staff again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

You've seen how long it takes so there's no point in them waiting until they're desperate for staff again.

Are the jails still that understaffed?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

the accomdation in portlaoise for the training not expecting it to be a hotel haha but us it dorm living like 4 to 6 guys in a room with shared facilities or how is it ? just curious as I'm debating living in the provided acc during training...

Are the jails still that understaffed?

Yes, and with retirements happening all the time there really needs to be constant panels available to train.
    S00100668 wrote: »
    the accomdation in portlaoise for the training not expecting it to be a hotel haha but us it dorm living like 4 to 6 guys in a room with shared facilities or how is it ? just curious as I'm debating living in the provided acc during training...

Used to be single rooms. I'm presuming it still is. Pretty much like a basic single hotel room. Nothing too fancy but your own sink / shower / toilet and wardrobe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭po candidate

Thats really good to hear! Thanks for replying to me. I'm going to do it for tests and interview aswell. Is clearance taking a long time for you? I tried my best last year with no course and I'm determined to do better and it's what I really want to do so it's worth the investment. I'm glad you found them helpful though and it's worth the money to me.

I'm waiting 8 months on clearance! Reasonably large family. I've never lived abroad, or been in trouble. It just takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

I'm waiting 8 months on clearance! Reasonably large family. I've never lived abroad, or been in trouble. It just takes time.

13 months myself. Average size family 🀣

• Advertisement

the army guards and that are recruiting they are all sent to the same place guys, its a horrible wait but it has to be done

Advertisement