Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym staff making sexual comments

Options
  • 18-02-2019 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Theres a member of staff at the gym I go to who struts around making sexual remarks and stares at women working out. He has made comments to my friends - they love the attention and see the funny side of it, the man is very attractive and they like flirting with him, its harmless fun as they see it. He has made sexual comments to me but it made me want to turn around and walk out of the gym, I moved to another space away from him but felt annoyed that I had to do this. Im a quiet person, im reserved and I find that attention uncomfortable, it makes me feel self conscious and to be completely honest I find it offensive, to me he comes across as a creep but because he's attractive other women in the gym seem to really like him.
    I don't want to come across as a prude or uptight, I know this man is harmless and does it to every woman in the gym and he's just a flirt but I cant shake the feeling of being uncomfortable everytime I go in and he's working. All the staff in the gym are young and friends with one another so I dont think complaining about him will do much good, it could also draw attention to myself which I dont want.
    How can I deal with it? Am I being uptight? I dont want to change gym, its the only one local and its good value for money. Id feel a bit silly leaving my current gym over this. Should I just suck it up and try to ignore him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you give an idea of what comments he is making so we can judge (for ourselves) if they are inappropriate or if you are being overly sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you give an idea of what comments he is making so we can judge (for ourselves) if they are inappropriate or if you are being overly sensitive?

Does it matter? If she's uncomfortable she's uncomfortable. Nobody should have to listen to some idiot making sexual comments if they don't want to hear it.

You're a paying customer, OP, and you have a right to work out in peace. Having said that, if you don't feel like talking to him or other staff about it then you've two options.

1) Find a new gym. Not ideal.

2) Get a really good pair of gym headphones and block everything out while you're working out, and even while you're coming and going in the place. It won't stop him being a douchebag but it'll stop you hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

When I work out I wear headphones and if anyone passed any comment I wouldnt hear it. If someone was staring at me I would ask them if they were ok, did they want to speak to me?

It would be good to have an idea of the type of comments being made, although tbh any kind of mouthing off in the gym is unacceptable imo, especially from staff.

If you are unable to freeze him out by listening to your music, then next time he makes a comment to you tell him that you are there to workout and do not appreciate his comments. If he continues, report him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's the impact, not the intention. The OP is not here to be judged, but to get advice. She has already said the remarks are sexual, there is no need to expand further.

OP I'm guessing you wouldn't feel comfortable having a word with him about this or talking to management about the issue? Aside from the suggestions already made, an anonymous letter could be an option. You wouldn't even have to name the particular employee if you aren't comfortable, but you could generally raise the issue about sexual remarks being made by staff. It might prompt them to remind all staff to behave professionally without having to single him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

That behaviour isn't acceptable. If it makes you uncomfortable, upset or vulnerable then he isn't suitable for employment there.

He wouldn't get away with it if he worked in a supermarket/factory/bus driver, a gym is no different.

Write a letter of complaint to management, that would be my first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Find out what the managers e-mail address is, and send a message, be fair and clear, to show that others enjoy it but it's for you.. And let the manager deal with it... If it doesn't change by a few weeks time, change gym...
    No point paying for a service you're not comfortable using...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not say it to him when nobody else is about.

Stand up for yourself if you aren't happy.

Just state you don't like any of those comments.

I couldn't imagine saying anything like he does.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did you tell him to stop? While I think he is a bit of a moron you will have to stand up for yourself and tell him to stop. You are paying for the service, he only works there, it's you who has the power and you will have to use it. If he doesn't stop then complain to the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

i think you have a right to feel undisturbed using the service you paid for - IE the Gym. But the gym attendant may not mean to make you uncomfortable, and as you suggested in your post it may be that some users respond well to what he is doing saying.

i would be a big advocate of telling him to his face that makes me uncomfortable , please keep comments professional. If that didn't work, then id have a word with the manager.

It does speak to the levels of professionalism and training provided by the gym for its staff.

Does it matter? If she's uncomfortable she's uncomfortable. Nobody should have to listen to some idiot making sexual comments if they don't want to hear it.

You're a paying customer, OP, and you have a right to work out in peace. Having said that, if you don't feel like talking to him or other staff about it then you've two options.

1) Find a new gym. Not ideal.

2) Get a really good pair of gym headphones and block everything out while you're working out, and even while you're coming and going in the place. It won't stop him being a douchebag but it'll stop you hearing it.

Yes it matters because the guy could be saying "good form" or "looking good today" and the OP could be completely overreacting, so maybe trying to get the guy fired isn't the correct approach.
    "If it makes you uncomfortable, upset or vulnerable then he isn't suitable for employment there."

I would strongly disagree that "itst he impact not the intention". If that was the case then anyone could get anyone fired for anything and we'd have snowflakes everywhere. (Not saying the OP is a snowflake, but we have no idea what this instructor is saying so have no way of knowing and advising the correct course of action)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My reaction initially was to politely but pointedly make it clear directly to him to stop. "Please stop commenting on me it makes me uncomfortable" or something like that... But it sounds like a love-in gym with all "the guys" (staff) banting off each. I'd be fairly sure they'd speak/gossip to each other (even about the most discreet things). I wouldn't want to isolate myself.

So, for me I'd go anonymous generalized letter about certain staff passing remarks/inappropriate at times making some members uncomfortable. or would just move on elsewhere.

I know it's not a very courageous move & I'd make a different decision in a different environment (work, home, society, team group etc) but for me a gym run like this I wouldn't direct too much attention to myself.

Yes it matters because the guy could be saying "good form" or "looking good today" and the OP could be completely overreacting, so maybe trying to get the guy fired isn't the correct approach.

Im struggling to see why the OP would describe the above as sexual comments?

I presumed it was more along the lines of "look at that ass, tight tight tight" - which I might like my husband saying to me, but not a guy working in the gym.

Comments could be completely innocent but if they make OP uncomfortable she should not have to listen to them. However I think everyone needs a bit of assertiveness. If you don't like something then say it, don't quietly run away and hide somewhere.

"If it makes you uncomfortable, upset or vulnerable then he isn't suitable for employment there."

I would strongly disagree that "itst he impact not the intention". If that was the case then anyone could get anyone fired for anything and we'd have snowflakes everywhere. (Not saying the OP is a snowflake, but we have no idea what this instructor is saying so have no way of knowing and advising the correct course of action)

I think 99.9% of people wouldn't react to a gym instructor saying 'nice form' as being sexual comments. You're making up an issue where there is none. If someone is uncomfortable, who is anyone else to tell them what they're feeling is 'wrong'?

Also she never said she wants to get the guy fired, that's a massive leap from her comments. All she said is she wants the comments to stop. TBH regardless of the content of the comments if you don't want someone making comments (whatever they are) at a gym or anywhere else you've a right to ask people to stop saying it to you. Especially if you're paying for the service.

....... wrote: »
    Im struggling to see why the OP would describe the above as sexual comments?

I presumed it was more along the lines of "look at that ass, tight tight tight" - which I might like my husband saying to me, but not a guy working in the gym.

Which is exactly why an example of the comments would give us all context.

The guy could be a total pervert or the OP could be totally over-reacting.

I think to give any useful advice to the OP on how to handle it we need to know where on the spectrum above we are.

Complaining to the gym management if the OP is being over sensitive is probably bad advice for example.

I think 99.9% of people wouldn't react to a gym instructor saying 'nice form' as being sexual comments. You're making up an issue where there is none. If someone is uncomfortable, who is anyone else to tell them what they're feeling is 'wrong'?
    Your posts are making me uncomfortable, would you be happy with me reporting you and you getting an infraction? Who are you to tell me I'm wrong?
    Also she never said she wants to get the guy fired, that's a massive leap from her comments. All she said is she wants the comments to stop. TBH regardless of the content of the comments if you don't want someone making comments (whatever they are) at a gym or anywhere else you've a right to ask people to stop saying it to you. Especially if you're paying for the service.

I quoted the post that implied the guy should be fired, I didn't say it was the OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod warning:

That's enough off-topic posting speculating about the remarks made. The OP has already said that they were sexual and is not obligated to provide examples.

Everyone is reminded that off-topic posting is not allowed in PI. Please only post if you have constructive advice to offer the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Friendly guy has a joke and a laugh which 99% of the custoners like.

Now one doesn't.

So instead of talking to the guy and saying, leave me out of it please... people are suggesting she email the manager and give out about him.

Let's punish the guy and make him stop the fun elemnet that most customers like. Because one person feels self conscious.

If you feel awkward talk to him. Easy as that

<snip>Talk to the guy himself, ask him not to make comments towards her. If that doesn't work, ask management to step in and ask him to leave her alone.

EDIT: Sorry mods, I wrote this as the thread warning was being written, feel free to delete as appropriate.

Let's punish the guy and make him stop the fun elemnet that most customers like. Because one person feels self conscious.

Some of the staff are chatty and a bit of craic in my gym.

But they dont make sexual comments. That simply isnt acceptable in ANY gym or indeed any workplace IMO.

• Advertisement

Friendly guy has a joke and a laugh which 99% of the custoners like.

You don't know that, Op said her friends like it, that hardly 99% of people. It would not be first time that a few people giggle to that kind of stuff and others just roll their eyes and think to themselves what a moron.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Hi OP

Myself I think you should aporoach him and say it to him, politely and civilly, that some of the things he says are not appropriate and make you uncomfortable attending the gym, and would appreciate if he would stop - and that since you can't be the only one who feels this way, he should stop in case someone makes a more serious complaint. You'd be doing both of you a favour by approaching him directly.

If you don't want to do this, then the anonymous letter is the best bet - but I think if you send it anonymously, don't name names, make it a letter about the staff generally.

Once in my old job, a customer made a false, anonymous complaint to the store manager about me, saying that I had a certain medical issue (which would have meant I shouldn't have been working with food). It really, really bothered me for a long time not knowing who it was, or why they did it - and since they didn't give a name, there was no way for the manager to get back to them to say it was false and potentially stop this person spreading rumors about me.

Obviously you are not making a false complaint. But if you complain anonymously, I don't think it's fair to name names, especially since he sounds more like a moron (which isn't a crime) then a letch or pervert. That's just my take on the letter option.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

One man's moron is another man's pervert....

I had this situation in the gym before. One guy was overly attentive to particular women and it made me feel very uncomfortable. I left for other reasons but I didn't say it to him as judging by his personality he'd make a big deal of it.

It didnt occur to me to report him anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

Maybe I'm just too passive aggressive but I try to resolve these things with a bit of humour.

I'd be inclined to jokingly (but with a hint of seriousness) say something like "It's 2019 man, cop on to yourself, or you'll be the next target of the #metoo movement"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

to me it wouldnt matter what the comment is - if it makes a person uncomfortable then it should stop.
    op, you could say it to him if you can. ill admit its probably not an easy thing to do but if you want to cobtinue going and also feel comfortable there then you have to do something.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Which is exactly why an example of the comments would give us all context.

The guy could be a total pervert or the OP could be totally over-reacting.

I think to give any useful advice to the OP on how to handle it we need to know where on the spectrum above we are.

Complaining to the gym management if the OP is being over sensitive is probably bad advice for example.

Thats a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What kind of sexual comments from a stranger would be acceptable in your opinion?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod note:

Woodchuck is after posting a perfectly clear request for the off topic debate to stop.

The comments or language that one person finds acceptable may not be acceptable to another person - this is basic like. The point is the OP is being made uncomfortable by a stranger making sexual comments towards them. That's not up for debate.

Before posting, please ask yourself if your post is going to help the OP, or if you are just responding to another poster - and if so, please don't post. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

If you consider it offensive and feel uncomfortable then you should first pull him aside and tell him so. If he continues then make an official complaint. Do not worry about what others thinks as this is about you and your boundaries. Other people in your view may laugh it off but could be completely pissed off about it too. Listen you go to the gym to work out and not be part of some creepy guys world view. Put him in his place and with your head held high continue going about your business there.

• Advertisement

Other people in your view may laugh it off but could be completely pissed off about it too.

This - if he is bothering you he is probably bothering other people too.

Advertisement