Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cancer society refusing donations from fox hunters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The ICS have short memories, 3 years almost to the day when they cut funding to cancer sufferers, because they were worried about lack of funds to pay chief executives.
    Daffodil Day that year was a flop. They rely on it to raise 3 million euro a year towards their wage bill of 6 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Time for a new charity.

"Hunters against cruelty to animals"

Sounds like an oxymoron, but it certainly isn't.

First job is to ban all insect suffering from pesticides.
    They have nervous systems like any other animal, and don't deserve this slow painful death, just so advocadas and chick peas can be produced in huge numbers for in particular the vegan market...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    This email address is on their website for fundraising purposes: fundraising@irishcancer.ie

Cheers for that, Nk.

I will point out to them that I shoot and fish and that I would be a hypocrite if I condemned fox hunting, while providing some examples where cancer research involved giving tumours to lab animals - thus the ICS is hypocritical in refusing funds from tobacco companies etc;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30413412

The above abstract might read like gobbledygook, but it reports a 60% success treating tumours in nude mice. how did the mice get the tumours? The scientists use a method called induced tumours. I read this stuff all the time as part of what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to me personally,but to another hunt supporter.No doubt going to be the std pre written letter to us all.

thank you for your message and I'm sorry you are disappointed.

The Irish Cancer Society relies on members of the general public for 98% of our annual income. We are very grateful to the many people across the county that take time every year to fundraise and donate to us to help us provide support and care to thousands of cancer patients and their families.

Following contact from a number of cancer patients/supporters who were upset about the Abbeyfeale Harriers Annual Hunting Festival, the Society requested that the organisers do not send a donation to the Society that is generated from fox hunt activities. This decision was made in light of the numbers of complaints that we received from cancer patients, their families and from the supporters we represent.

Robert
    Irish Cancer Society

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to me personally,but to another hunt supporter.No doubt going to be the std pre written letter to us all.

The Irish Cancer Society relies on members of the general public for 98% of our annual income. We are very grateful to the many people across the county that take time every year to fundraise and donate to us to help us provide support and care to thousands of cancer patients and their families.

Following contact from a number of cancer patients/supporters who were upset about the Abbeyfeale Harriers Annual Hunting Festival, the Society requested that the organisers do not send a donation to the Society that is generated from fox hunt activities. This decision was made in light of the numbers of complaints that we received from cancer patients, their families and from the supporters we represent.

Robert
    Irish Cancer Society

Exactly the same reply as I got, except it was from blood Mary instead of Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Robert
    Irish Cancer Society

How can they claim to represent cancer patients or their families?
    Given that many of us have also been affected by cancer.

Dear Irish Cancer Society,

In the light of ICS refusing fundraising donations from Abbeyfeale Harriers as a result of complaints ostensibly from members of the public concerned by perceived cruelty to animals.

I believe the complaints were orchestrated by a vocal minority of activists and I am disappointed that ICS has responded by refusing donations from a group of people who actually afford the fox a chance to get away, unlike some of those involved in cancer research, who have and continue to, induce tumours into laboratory animals for decades.

Surely it is incongruous for ICS to support cancer research which undoubtedly causes animal suffering, while dismissing donations on the same basis?

It is incumbent on the ICS to consider its position on donations from Abbeyfeale Harriers, given the perceptions of cruelty which could be construed from the long and ongoing history of inducing/introducing cancer into laboratory animals, such as:

1. A 2019 published study from US researchers reporting tumour regression in 60% of nude mice

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30413412

2. A 1989 study of cancer therapy using excised carotid arteries from cats

https://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpheart.1989.256.5.H1509
    Anti-EDRF effect of tumor necrosis factor in isolated, perfused cat carotid arteries | American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology
    1Department of Physiology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas JeffersonUniversity, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107.
    www.physiology.org

3. A 1953 study using methylcholanthrene to induce tumours in laboratory mice which includes reference to other authors' methods with mice and rats

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/13/12/835.long
    Antigenic Properties of Methylcholanthrene-induced Tumors in Mice of the Strain of Origin
    Experiments are described in which it was shown that immunity of C3H-He mice resulted following ligation and atrophy of methylcholanthrene-induced sarcomas which arose in mice of this inbred strain. The results are discussed in relation to previously reported experiments in which C3H-He mice were not immunized against mammary carcinoma by similar methods.
    cancerres.aacrjournals.org

Yours faithfully,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

@Yupabill - 'the squeaking wheel gets the grease'. 'twas ever thus, while the rest of us get on with it. Sure, we all have something that we find offensive or not to our liking. But we realise that complaining about it is like trying to put toothpaste back in a tube, or push rope uphill. Unless, of course, it's an emotive thing, like starving orphans in the Sudan. Nobody likes cancer, either, something I got to know about all too well in the months leading up to the new year.

For an organisation that, in its own words, relies almost entirely on charity and legacies, ICS is not alone in singling out so-called blood sports, and use them to climb onto their high horse. In Ireland the hunt still actually hunts the fox - here in UK the un-missed Tony B Liar banned it. Here in UK the RSPCA AND Barnardos AND the RSPB sniped the legal gun-owner as being somehow working around the many laws that control the acquisition and use of our legally-held firearms - hinting that the difference between us and the likes of Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton was simply a matter of 'not yet'.

I now put my charity in different directions, principally one that I know will never call me out because of my chosen sport. It helps former members of the Armed Forces who have lost their sight. Something that the ICS seems to have inflicted on itself without the benefit of bomb, bullet or bad health.

Well said Tac.

Nail, head, hit.

• Advertisement

If anybody here needs a recommendation where to send a few bob that's burning a hole in their pockets, may I respectfully recommend the RNLI.

Living on islands, surrounded by often VERY unfriendly oceans, we are literally at the mercy of the waves every time we go to the beach or get on a boat.

The RNLI has NO selective POV about receiving donations from anybody who sends them. And unlike the ICS, the RNLI are 100% reliant on charity. Apart from a few necessary professional mechanics, EVERY one of the crew is a volunteer.

There are times when we would literally be lost without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I relayed my feelings on the matter to the local organiser of Daffodil Day and told her that ICS would be getting no more donations from me. In fairness, she was disgusted that the ICS had adopted their current stance.
    Ironically, they are launching Daffodil Day tomorrow at the local greyhound track.

That is a great post.

I find it difficult to comprehend what goes on in the minds of alleged cancer victims who notified the ICS that they were ''so upset' to find that their support was part-based on the efforts of a bunch of well-meaning people.

Quote - 'The Irish Cancer society issued a statement in which it said: “Following contact from a number of cancer patients and supporters who were upset about the Abbeyfeale Harriers annual hunting festival, the society requested that the organisers do not send a donation to the society that is generated from fox hunt activities.”

Are these cancer patients patients and supporters REAL? Or does the ICS have an agenda at odds with the definition of the term charity?

Quote - 'Last week’s Limerick Leader featured a story on cancer patient John O’Keeffe. The Ballingarry man, who is a member of the County Limerick Foxhounds, organised a charity hunt before Christmas.A total of €7,000 was raised on the day and John divided the money between the Mid-Western Cancer Centre and Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

John said the decision by the Irish Cancer Society is “tough” on the Abbeyfeale Harriers.

“They have made an effort to organise and put in an effort to try and give money to charity. It is fairly disappointing. I went back to the hunt a few times myself over the years. Cancer doesn’t distinguish whether you’re a hunting person or not,” said John.

I would take money from Satan himself if my wife or daughter developed this awful disease and money was needed to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Its a sad case that it has come to this.

I emailed them about it last week but they never replied.
    Either they are getting lots if messages, ir they just dont care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I emailed them about it last week but they never replied.
    Either they are getting lots if messages, ir they just dont care.

Same here and no reply. No worries as it is their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Letter sent to them this morning, I won’t hold my breath.

Dear Sir, Madam,

It is with great regret that I inform you that I will no longer be donating to your organization.

The rejection of funds from a legitimate group undertaking completely legal activities leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Especially coming from an organization that supports (quite legitimately too) testing on animals for research.

I believe you have been overly influenced by a very vocal minority who do little to support your fund raising.

My donations may not amount to very much but I hope you take my comments and the comments I know have been made by many others like me into consideration.

I will gladly resume donating to you again if you publicly apologize to the Abbeyfeale Harriers and once again accept their honest donations.

@Bogwoppit - I could not have written it better myself. Good letter, Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

There's a clear difference between using animals for the purpose of testing treatments / cures for cancer and hunting which is unnecessary in almost all cases and is purely for entertainment.

Well done to ICS for taking up this position.

• Advertisement

Xcellor wrote: »
    There's a clear difference between using animals for the purpose of testing treatments / cures for cancer and hunting which is unnecessary in almost all cases and is purely for entertainment.

Very hypocritical as usual. So an organisation that has as its main goal is to stop all animal suffering and cruelty is ok with the caging, infecting, testing and ultimately killing of the animal. You cannot say hunting is cruel when ye condone that kind of activity.
    I have yet to see any anti organisation here arrange an event for raising funds on behalf of another organisation, they only seem to fund raise for their own interests.
    But any who I have wasted far too much time out of my day responding to a narrow minded hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nail.On.Head.Of course you never sabs and ALF fundraising, except for themselves,by begging off the gullible.I guess the heroin dealing, that over the years various ALF and Sab groups have been found to use as funding isn't good enough??I mean how much money does it cost to run a 15year old van with no tax or insurance, and the rent these days on a derelict junky squat must be fierce in Dublin? Maybe they should ask their uber boss George Soros for a handout??? After all he has no problem funding ANTIFA which is almost interchangeable with ALF/ELF these days

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

solarwinds wrote: »
    Very hypocritical as usual. So an organisation that has as its main goal is to stop all animal suffering and cruelty is ok with the caging, infecting, testing and ultimately killing of the animal. You cannot say hunting is cruel when ye condone that kind of activity.
    I have yet to see any anti organisation here arrange an event for raising funds on behalf of another organisation, they only seem to fund raise for their own interests.
    But any who I have wasted far too much time out of my day responding to a narrow minded hypocrite.

Using animals for research is sad as there is suffering and pain and death. There are requirements on drug companies to do animal testing or they just can't make the product available. There isn't an alternative available yet.

Chasing around a fox serves no societal benefit. There are numerous other forms of entertainment available that doesn't involve an animal having to suffer in the process.

I don't see hypocrisy here.

Using animals for research is sad as there is suffering and pain and death. There are requirements on drug companies to do animal testing or they just can't make the product available. There isn't an alternative available yet.

Chasing around a fox serves no societal benefit
    . There are numerous other forms of entertainment available that doesn't involve an animal having to suffer in the process.

You obviously don't keep sheep so.
    Seeing a couple of sets of newly born twins at 8pm, and finding only singles in the morning isn't much benefit either.

Chasing around a fox serves no societal benefit. There are numerous other forms of entertainment available that doesn't involve an animal having to suffer in the process.

There is no live lure in greyhound racing. Yet they have been included in the list of businesses monies won’t be accepted from.

It’s really galling. They should be grateful for people using their legal hobbies to raise much needed funds. I’m withdrawing my offer of help for daffodil day and will not support Irish Cancer Society again until they cop on and stop pandering to the whims of a very vocal minority. I have told them so but have yet to get a response.

I have told them so but have yet to get a response.

I am of the opinion that you'll be opening your apology response from the ICS at the same time as you watch a flight of Gloucester Old Spots cruising overhead after just taking off from Dublin airport.

solarwinds wrote: »

Excuse me but do I dictate to you how to live your life, what hobbies to enjoy what food to eat . NO I do not so what gives you the right to try to impose your narrow minded hypocritical views on the rest of normal society.
    Every aspect of everyones daily lives whether you like it or not is resulting in the suffering of animals. Take your Soya milk hundreds of acres of rainforest being cleared for farm land to grow it and to grow the hemp for your clothing.
    Your shoes either dead animal leather or petrochemical synthetics polluting the environment.
    Your house built using felled timber, concrete using toxic chromium, lead on the roof, chemical based paints all polluting the environment.
    So tell me where do you draw the line, is all the above acceptable forms of damage to nature and wildlife because you use and need these things but hunting is not acceptable because you do not partake in it.
    Again HYPOCRITICAL.

tac foley wrote: »
    I have told them so but have yet to get a response.

I am of the opinion that you'll be opening your apology response from the ICS at the same time as you watch a flight of Gloucester Old Spots cruising overhead after just taking off from Dublin airport.

I hear that flight is indefinitely delayed due to cloud covered judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Yes let's put people lives below that of a fox......

• Advertisement

There is no live lure in greyhound racing. Yet they have been included in the list of businesses monies won’t be accepted from.

It’s really galling. They should be grateful for people using their legal hobbies to raise much needed funds. I’m withdrawing my offer of help for daffodil day and will not support Irish Cancer Society again until they cop on and stop pandering to the whims of a very vocal minority. I have told them so but have yet to get a response.

It's true that the minority of people are against the exploitation of animals for sport + entertainment + gambling. Just because the minority believe something doesn't mean they are wrong. Plenty of examples of the status quo being challenged by the minority.

Advertisement