Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestlemania memories thread

Options
  • 16-02-2019 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting this thread because of the great posts in the random rasslin thread about wrestlemania, and I'd love to hear the many memories of the posters of the Pro Wrestling forum.

My first mania that I recorded myself was Wrestlemania 10. I vividly remember taping that event. I remember renting mania 3,4,5 from the video store before that. I've loved most of them and yes there have been some poor matches and manias over the past 34 years. But WrestleMania as an event is a major event.

So what are others first memory of WrestleMania and favourite or worse moment or event ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

My first WrestleMania was X-Seven, and it was only the 2nd PPV I'd ever watched (the first was No Way Out the previous month, those were two great events back-to-back). Recorded it off Sky One, if I remember right

I'll admit I didn't understand the significance of the event back then (I almost didn't watch it, because the completionist in me wanted to watch the previous 16 before watching 17), and there were moments which were lost on me being so new to wrestling. Austin turning heel, for example, which I'm sure caused uproar at the time, to me was just another thing that happened

But I mean there were so many great matches at that show, the TLC match, the McMahon street fight, and going back to No Way Out we had the 3 Stages Of Hell match, IMO it was the perfect time for a 10-year-old me to join the wagon

Honestly, my favourite WrestleMania moment is Rollins cashing-in at WM31. I'd stopped watching wrestling for... I'm going to say 8 years?... but had gotten back in to it a few months prior to that, and it just felt like an iconic moment. Not a self-gratifying "oh look at what an amazing WrestleMania moment this is"-type deal, but an actual moment to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

My first one to watch at all was 21 which cost me ~€60 on video. My parents were odd when it came to online purchases, so I asked an aunt to get it who bought the first one she found online. Damn good first Mania to see as well, as a 10 year old seeing 2 massive heel champions lose their titles to the new good guys was pretty epic, and you also had HBK vs Angle which is still one of my GOAT matches

Luckily an uncle got in wrestling around the same time so got every ppv from WM22 to Vengeance 2007 on tape for free off him, the Benoit incident put him off wrestling

Other than the ones that were free on Sky Sports, I didn't any of the PPVs again until WM28 which I just had to see, then found out that ordering off Sky Box Office was actually a matter of a few clicks, auld fella warned us for years to stay away from the Box Office and I was literally afraid to even go near the channels, when the ppv actually came around he even watched it and we both woke up the house when the streak nearly ended after the Sweet Chin Music into the Pedigree combo

Was at the Woolshed for WM30 which was its own kind of epic

Have seen the last 2 with a few friends who are actually into wrestling, never had friends actually into wrestling so that's been cool too, sadly all the Reigns BS over the years has jaded them both so unlikely they'll see this one

Not knowing Wrestlemania 16 (2000) would be over 3 hours and not setting the VHS to long play :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The return of the Deadman at WrestleMania 20 is burned into my memory for life. The excitement of the build up and the will they won't they element had me glued to the TV that night.

The Ohhhhhh Yesssssssssss popped me like nothing else before.....too bad the return of the gimmick didn't quite work for me. I wanted a more classic approach but instead we got an old gunslinger type hybrid.

I didn't really become a fan of his again until the HBK/HHH matches at later Wrestlemanias.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not knowing Wrestlemania 16 (2000) would be over 3 hours and not setting the VHS to long play :mad:

Preach brother cactus. I set it to record and didn't set it to LP either. I knew the result and didn't see the end until a few years later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Where do I start? :D

First memories are watching the boyhood dream being realised with my Dad, we didn't have Sky Sports at the time but from time to time it would magically appear unencrypted and that was one of those nights. Stayed up late and got the next day off school and all :pac:

Didn't really get into it properly though until Mania 2000. The run up to it had me captivated by Mick Foley/his other incarnations and wanting him to win the title from the dastardly Triple H. I was devastated when he lost the Hell in a Cell match!
    At the same time I wanted Big Show to go Mania, it was clear as day he was robbed by the Rock in the Rumble and I remember actively disliking Rock even though I wasn't meant to as he had cheated Big Show out of the match :pac:

The fatal four way was so exciting to me, I hated the McMahon/Helmsley faction so viscerally and wanted HHH to get his comeuppance at least for one night.

Unfortunately, I'd have to wait till Backlash for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

WM3 was the first I saw..American wrestling was still pretty new to us over here so to see a card stacked full of superstars and taking up half the evening/night was unreal..pre internet days as well but the build even with just one wrestling show a week was absolutely amazing.I loved it and maybe other Wrestlemanias have been better but it will always be my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rock vs Austin at Wrestlemania 15th was my first memory a fantastic build and match on a poor enough card.

Taker hanging big bossman with the brood was also on the card. Looking back now it was the drizzling ****s and tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Wrestlemania 5 is my earliest mania memory. I remember I was in Canada a few months before hand, went into a 7/11 and picked up WWF magazine for the first time. It was like a switch went off in my mind. On the cover, the wrestlers were in a pyramid type formation (Perfect, Jake, DiBiase, Savage, Boss Man, Warrior etc with Hogan on top). Got obsessed with action figures and toys and I remember seeing Saturday Nights Main Event before WM5 when the Mega Powers officially broke up. My mum wouldn’t let me watch it as a kid (she still gives out to me about being a fan 30 years later) so I would stay over and my grans and she would secretly tape everything for me so that’s where I saw WM5.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Remember went to the bathroom when Brock gave taker the final f5 and when I came back everyone was in shock. Can't believe I missed wrestling history

Remember when I was in school I taped manias and watched them Monday evenings. The year Angle vs HBK I got the whole event spoiled when I overheard some dickhead talking about the results.

Will always remember Rollins cash in, what an awesome moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Earliest memory of mania is Papa Shango running down that ridiculously long entrance at Mania 8. Always been fond of that aprticular Mania, big Warrior fan so was awesome to see him. Papa Shango was scary as back in the day (my cousin had a sega mega drive and played papa shango theme song to freak me out all the time)

As i got older i grew to love Flair v Savage and Hart v Piper.

Remember reading about Mania 12 in WWF magazine, my dad never allowed me to watch wrestling, so at that stage i was restricted to mags my friends bought.

After that tape trading became quite big, so watch a good few manias, got to be the top dawg in scholl when i recorded and owned the Mania tape passed around school.

Was a big wcw fan mostly, as my nan would let me watch wrestling in hers never seen any ppvs though at the time just nitro and thunder on friday nights when the network swtiched to tnt.

Mania 18 was a right off as most mates stopped watching wrestling by then and my nan didnt have channels.

Around 19 ive consistantly watched every mania, ordering box office and dealing with the consequences when they happened! Bought the first 15 manias on vhs off ebay and watched them religiously.

Mania 24 was my first Mania party, where i made a big deal about it. Pizza and beer etc...granted i spent a few manias on my lonesome vut more often then not i get a few mates over for the night.

The past few are big events, always kicl off with Mania 8, then NXT, Then HOF, Preshow, Mania....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mine is probably Wrestlemania 8, but seeing it on tape. My real "First" Wrestlemania to see as it happened was Mania 12.

The Iron Man match will always have a special place in my heart. My 2 absolute favourite wrestlers in the world going toe to toe. Loved everything about it, they build, the hype videos, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The Iron Man match will always have a special place in my heart. My 2 absolute favourite wrestlers in the world going toe to toe. Loved everything about it, they build, the hype videos, everything.

I really think they should've done a fall each in that match leading into the draw. Create more drama and make it less of a slog.

Advertisement