Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver experience, does it reduce quotes?

Options
  • 15-02-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

As in the title, if you have experience as a named driver on an insurance policy, does it actually get you a cheaper quote? and how much does it help? My daughter 18 just passed her test, we're looking at her options and thinking of putting her on my insurance for a year to get some experience and then letting her on her own, is that actually a cheaper way of doing it? or is it just talk? I am hearing savage prices for insurance from some young drivers, if any young drivers on here have done it and what actual difference did it make?

Apologies if question already answered, did search but didn't find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

As in the title, if you have experience as a named driver on an insurance policy, does it actually get you a cheaper quote? and how much does it help? My daughter 18 just passed her test, we're looking at her options and thinking of putting her on my insurance for a year to get some experience and then letting her on her own, is that actually a cheaper way of doing it? or is it just talk? I am hearing savage prices for insurance from some young drivers, if any young drivers on here have done it and what actual difference did it make?

I'm 25. 4years driving . Have 3years ncb. Had an incident in the first year.
    I recently added my gf to my policy as a named driver she's a learner and it didn't cost me anything to add her. Was also told my insurance might go down abit more for adding her when I renew.
    Dunno how it worked out free to add her considering I have a claim settled against me just over 3yrs ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't know if it affected my quotes. But they only accepted a reference to a completed period as a named driver (ie: 1 year increments).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I'm 25. 4years driving . Have 3years ncb. Had an incident in the first year.
    I recently added my gf to my policy as a named driver she's a learner and it didn't cost me anything to add her. Was also told my insurance might go down abit more for adding her when I renew.
    Dunno how it worked out free to add her considering I have a claim settled against me just over 3yrs ago

Men with wives/GFs/partners named on their policies are more often than not seen as better risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Back when i started driving 20 years ago they used to give a discount for having 2 years driving experience on a policy , in or around 10 Percent .

So when you get your own policy you get 10% off.

The problem was when year 2 came around you cant have your own NCB and driving experience, so you still only got the 10% circa after the first year

IMO you gain slightly in the short term but long term it disappears.

That said i would put her on your policy for the actual experience . ie make her a safer driver

Advertisement