Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Closers

Options
  • 18-02-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on closing our150mm cavity around window and door opes in our new build, we are using bonded bead full full insulation, I’ve looked into the xtratherm and kingspan cavity closers and I’m getting expensive quotes back on these products, I know they are great quality but I’m trying to find a solution keeping the quality and keeping the cost down also. My thought was to cut 150mm strips of 75mm insulation board and fully wrap this in dpc, leaving a 100mm flange of dpc on one side of the board to lap back on to the external lead of the block. Our internal leaf of block is stepped in 62mm each side to allow for insulated plaster board and I’ll get some brackets made for the windows so we don’t have to cut insulation out of the plaster board around the angled brackets. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seanie31

nickkalb wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on closing our150mm cavity around window and door opes in our new build, we are using bonded bead full full insulation, I’ve looked into the xtratherm and kingspan cavity closers and I’m getting expensive quotes back on these products, I know they are great quality but I’m trying to find a solution keeping the quality and keeping the cost down also. My thought was to cut 150mm strips of 75mm insulation board and fully wrap this in dpc, leaving a 100mm flange of dpc on one side of the board to lap back on to the external lead of the block. Our internal leaf of block is stepped in 62mm each side to allow for insulated plaster board and I’ll get some brackets made for the windows so we don’t have to cut insulation out of the plaster board around the angled brackets. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Hi,

I’m a wee bit late on the reply I assume😂. It sounded like you were doing a nice job and similar to what I had thought of doing. I’m very interested in how it worked out, have you any pictures.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Regarding windows and door surrounds, Pack in 2 inch kingspan into the cavity, just cut it in strips. Any gaps fill with foam. No need for dpc. The bead will come out to meet it.
    Keep existing dpc to the outside to go beneath the windows. Get your window Installer to show you to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

8a8447ae50.jpg

Cavity closer using a cut block and Kingspan insulation.
    DPC in place for window flange.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Advice would be appreciated on a 225mm cavity to be pumped.

Side of window cavity closers are looked after with 100mm insulation due to the L block. Overhead Cavity closer also 100mm insulation due to lintel sitting on L block. Foil facing outwards and inwards.

However underneath the window opening, there is a significant gap between the sill and the inner leaf. Possibly 200m or just less. What is the best way to close this cavity with insulation?

Should the foil be faced upwards and downwards and crosscut 200mm strip from sheet of insulation? Or should two strips 100mm be joined together with the foil facing inwards and outwards.

It is also a wide span for a window board to sit on top of afterwards

Advertisement