Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which of these two laptops?

• 18-02-2019 2:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I need a new laptop and am thinking of one of these below. Though if anyone has other suggestions fire away.

Looking for 8 GB ram, SSD drive, decent enough processor, and a dedicated graphics card while nice is not essential.

The first has an i7 processor and a 500 GB SSD, but only inbuilt graphics, UHD Graphics 620 I believe. If the i5 version was in stock I'd probably just go for that tbh, unfortunately it isn't.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330s-14ikb-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-blue-10185219-pdt.html

The second is a bit cheaper, and has an i5 processor and a dedicated but basic enough graphics card (though presumably far better than the inbuilt above). But is the smaller 126 GB SSD drive enough space? It does have a 1 TB HDD also. Never had an SSD before, is it enough to just have the operating system run on that, and use the HDD for storage?

https://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ikbr-81de00wjmh/80050980/product/9474

Just thinking I probably don't need an i7 processor, as looking online it's only slightly faster than the i5. And if the 126 GB SSD is enough then it sort of makes sense to get the benefit of the better graphics.

Also I see one is a 330s model and the other a 330, does this mean anything worth thinking about?

Any opinions welcome, thanks.

Comments

I run Windows 10 on a 128gb ssd no problem with a load a big programs like phpstorm, atom, Photoshop, InDesign etc.

I do have to be careful that certain directories don't get out of hand, though. I found an acestream folder with 15gbs of cached video in it for example.

Also, the majority of games don't benefit from being installed on an ssd if you don't mind that extra bit of time when first starting them. And it's the same with any big programs you use infrequently. For a regular user, 128gb is enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

osh wrote: »
    Also I see one is a 330s model and the other a 330, does this mean anything worth thinking about?

Any opinions welcome, thanks.

Yes, it's slimmer. There's half a kilo difference in weight between the two.

Do you need dedicated graphics? Bearing in mind that there's not a lot you can do with an MX150 in terms of gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yes, it's slimmer. There's half a kilo difference in weight between the two.

Do you need dedicated graphics? Bearing in mind that there's not a lot you can do with an MX150 in terms of gaming.

I have a fair few games on steam but find I don't really pay them much at all these days. Mostly game on my PS4. Always the possibility that could change at some point though.

I do play some games on my current laptop, but the recommended graphics for one is just Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Also might sometimes need to use photoshop, but not often.

What's your thought on the card on this €729 dell? Seems like it might be a good balance of a larger SSD and card, though without the 1 TB HDD.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-156/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop

Actually thinking about it some more, I suppose I don't need to be gaming on this so can do without the dedicated graphics. I can always buy a desktop at some point for gaming if needed.

Presumably if not gaming then dedicated graphics aren't really needed?

So based on that do you reckon the 330S from Currys in the first link is a good choice? The 512 GB SSD is very tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is a link on the 512GB machine for the i5 version, which is probably better value given the little difference between the processors. On paper I would go for the 512GB SSD machine, however I have read a couple of reports on here that that particular model (probably the exact same spec actually), has a very poor battery life. Which is pretty unforgivable these days.

The Dell linked above is decent, but that graphics card seems barely better than integrated. But that being said I think you'd be surprised what the integrated chip can do these days, it can power through quite a decent bit of gaming. Depending on your expectations though.

Thanks yeah I think the i5 is better value and would go for that. As I agree the extra money isn’t worth it for a minimal enough noticeable upgrade. Unfortunately it’s only in stock in a few stores. None of which are in Dublin.

I did read a review of the 330s which while favourable does mention the battery and webcam as being below par.

The webcam is no issue for me and don’t think the battery is a dealbreaker. Though would be nice if it was better. Mentions 5.5 hrs but that it could be closer to 3-4.

Find it strange as I always thought machines with integrated graphics would have decent battery life.

Any other options worth looking at with 8 GB ram, i5 or i7 8xxx processor, minimum 256 GB SSD, full HD screen and built well?

Edit: Almost tempted to go for a dell XPS 13 given the reivews it gets.

Scratch that, it's a bit pricey really.

this hp i5 is much better value at 600

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0002sa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10180755-pdt.html

way better battery life,
    bit lighter,
    full hd ips screen,
    4-core i5 (i7 on the u chips not worth the extra money for < 10% perf increase)
    8gb
    128gb ssd but has a spare slot to add a cheap 2.5inch sata ssd - e.g. extra 240gb for 30 euro delivered from amazon

several on boards have picked up this model and are happy with it.

someone recently got that lenovo i7 and is experiencing battery problems (1.5 hr battery life)

• Advertisement

Thanks glasso you make a good case :D

So you’re pretty certain you can add a 252gb ssd to make it 378gb total?

Is it easy to add in for someone with no knowledge of doing this? And would it void the warranty doing that?

Thanks glasso you make a good case :D

So you’re pretty certain you can add a 252gb ssd to make it 378gb total?

Is it easy to add in for someone with no knowledge of doing this? And would it void the warranty doing that?

it's easy yes.

just a matter of screws and plugging into a socket.

you won't have to mess around with moving windows as you'll already have it on the ssd that comes with it so just leave it there.

glasso wrote: »
    it's easy yes.

just a matter of screws and plugging into a socket.

you won't have to mess around with moving windows as you'll already have it on the ssd that comes with it so just leave it there.

Cool. Could be worth switching windows to the new drive though no? Given the bigger size I would think it’d be better to use as the system drive. Or is that a lot of hassle? I can hold off sticking to much stuff on it or customising to make it easier.

Cool. Could be worth switching windows to the new drive though no? Given the bigger size I would think it’d be better to use as the system drive. Or is that a lot of hassle? I can hold off sticking to much stuff on it or customising to make it easier.

as they are both ssd's not much point.

windows usually should be on the smallest fastest drive.

could if you want.

Ah right grand. Just thinking I’ve always in the past installed my program files folder on my C drive. So it would be fine say to have the program files folder on the bigger drive instead and just leave the original drive for windows?

Ah right grand. Just thinking I’ve always in the past installed my program files folder on my C drive. So it would be fine say to have the program files folder on the bigger drive instead and just leave the original drive for windows?

Y

So went ahead and picked the Hp Pavilion 14 up. Seems great so far :)

Was looking at this SSD as a possibility, not sure what capacity I'm going to choose yet but as it's a 2.5 inch SATA, 7mm, it should be ok right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SA400S37-240G-Solid-State/dp/B01N5IB20Q?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_430505031_0&pf_rd_p=01e30c24-61c3-5440-b904-066eaed6b3e1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=430505031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=J5RBEJFXBVT1A509CBXR&pf_rd_r=J5RBEJFXBVT1A509CBXR&pf_rd_p=01e30c24-61c3-5440-b904-066eaed6b3e1

I've been told that this one below should work, so as they're both 2.5 inch SATA drives, is there any difference between this and the Kingston one above in terms of whether it would be a fit for my machine?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/850-evo-sata-3-2-5-inch-ssd/MZ-75E1T0BEU/

According to Crucial, they have the specs for compatible SSD as follows. Just want to make sure the Kingston will fit before buying!

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-14-ce0502sa#SSDFilters

Thanks

I also need to get a hard drive bracket and cable.

Only the ones I need don't seem to be available, or are ridiculous prices. Doesn't seem possible to get through the HP parts store either.

Looks like my only option is to replace the M.2 SSD that's there already with a bigger capacity drive.

any 2.5 inch sata will fit.

they are standard - don't worry about 7 or 9mm. they all seem to be 7mm these days. you won't need any bracket or housing or cable - where are you getting that?

confirm that it's an m.2 inside first (hwinfo64 should tell you) - most probably is but confirm.

I have one of these and it runs fast

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUCUN-Internal-Solid-State-240GB/dp/B073WH5Z46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550769199&sr=8-3&keywords=yucun+ssd

when I search results for crucial for my own laptop into which I put a 2.5 inch 7mm ssd without any adaptor it also mentions an adaptor even though it was not needed.

I suspect that it's a sneaky move by crucial to plant doubt in people's mind that their offerings with the adaptor are required!

• Advertisement

Yeah I just used Crucial to see what was upgradable, wasn't getting the info from there about the parts.

This is the manual for the machine where it mentions replacing hard drive on page 46.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06133567

I was told the bracket and cable are needed by HP:

You can add a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the hard drive bay in addition to the M.2 SSD already present in its slot.

Page 46 shows replacement procedure.

You need these two parts for adding 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the bay and connecting to the board:

The hard drive bracket is available using spare part number L19469-001. The hard drive cable is available using spare part number L19172-001.

And then in a follow up:

The cable to add a 2,5" are nearly impossible to find. It will probably be cheaper and better just to upgrade the M2 drive in the PC. It supports SATA3 drives such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo and faster drives such as the M2 PCIe NVMe Samsung 970 Evo.

So I dunno, according to that I need the parts and if that's the case, then replacing the M.2 SSD is the only feasible option. Which is annoying as I'd have to reinstall windows and they are more expensive

that's very much non-standard it has to be said.....

normally the 2.5 inch (whether ssd or spinning drive) just plugs in to a socket.

I'd open it up to see what the story is - probably won't be there but maybe the cable and bracket are there.

should be just a matter of screws to take a look inside.

Yeah I’m no major rush. Will probably open it up and take a look some time. How will I know if it needs the bracket and cable?

Yeah I’m no major rush. Will probably open it up and take a look some time. How will I know if it needs the bracket and cable?

if they are not there already!

pretty sh1t on hp's part tbh

apparently they (hp) don't even supply the parts - only seems to be sporadically available from people taking them out of units that came with a hd and ssd.

Yeah it’s bizarre. How hard could it be to have parts in stock.

Very happy with it in general though.

So I know next to nothing about the insides of laptops. Presumably I’ll be looking for a free space beside the existing drive?

Yeah it’s bizarre. How hard could it be to have parts in stock.

Very happy with it in general though.

So I know next to nothing about the insides of laptops. Presumably I’ll be looking for a free space beside the existing drive?

space as it shows in the manual.

but from what people say online the cable and the other part (two metal side brackets) won't be there most probably.

but worth checking.

Hp probably outsource a lot of stuff including manufacturing - hence why parts not available.

but shouldn't require parts to put in a new drive like this - if they are being non-std then they should have the cable and part in the laptop.

• Advertisement

Turn out I can’t put a second SSD in but I can put in a HDD. Brackets are there already but I would need a cable. The HP cable isn’t going to be available to buy so would any SATA cable do the trick?

not sure what sort of cable it is - you'd have to search hp forums to confirm

2.5 inch sata ssd will go there as same size as 2.5 inch spinning drive.

Advertisement