Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving question - navigating roundabouts

Options
  • 16-02-2019 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

If i am approaching a roundabout and intend to take the 3rd exit and i enter the 2 lane wide round about in the left lane and stay in the left left after both the first and 2nd exit and subsequently am involved in a collision with a car immediately after the 2nd exit in the left hand lane, which was merging, am i at fault? my left lane had 4 separate road markings all indicating the lane was for exit 2. the right hand lane had 4 separate road marking all indicating it was for exit 3.
    I hope that made some sense and thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

12 o clock rule was third exit after 12 o’clock on approach.if so you should enter on right lane and cross after island on second exit if third exit is single lane having indicated throughout process

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

electric69 wrote: »
    If i am approaching a roundabout and intend to take the 3rd exit and i enter the 2 lane wide round about in the left lane and stay in the left left after both the first and 2nd exit and subsequently am involved in a collision with a car immediately after the 2nd exit in the left hand lane, which was merging . . .
    Merging from where? Did it enter the roundabout at the second exit, expecting you to leave by that exit, or did it merge into your lane from the right-hand roundabout lane, expecting you to leave by the second exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes, unfortunately. You were in the wrong lane. Right lane for third exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wesser wrote: »

Even though the OP was in the wrong lane it doesn't excuse the other driver from entering an already occupied lane. You have to give way to the vehicle already in the lane regardless of the legality of the vehicle occupying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Check the multipage threads in motors for this. The answer I most like is it's probably 50/50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wesser wrote: »

Obviously some roundabouts will be individually marked, but generally...

I was taught (as were lots of others) 1st exit, 2nd exit, 3rd exit etc, but it’s all about 12 o clock and 3 o clock now, so you’ll often have roundabouts (Naas North roundabout at the ball for example) where the 3rd exit is at 12 o clock position. So you can’t really say that 3rd exit would be right hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you were on the roundabout, and the other car was entering the roundabout, it doesn't matter which lane you were in. Traffic on the roundabout has priority.

Advertisement