Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stay sane in job I hate

Options
  • 11-02-2019 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Long story but due to family reasons I cannot leave my job until I have found a new one, due to my financial obligations.

My work environment is toxic and I dread going in every morning, I hate every minute of it during the day, as soon as I get another job I am out of there, but that could take a few weeks to a few months.

I am looking for practical everyday advice or mindfulness tips etc that I could implement to keep sane while I wait to change jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi

Long story but due to family reasons I cannot leave my job until I have found a new one, due to my financial obligations.

My work environment is toxic and I dread going in every morning, I hate every minute of it during the day, as soon as I get another job I am out of there, but that could take a few weeks to a few months.

I am looking for practical everyday advice or mindfulness tips etc that I could implement to keep sane while I wait to change jobs.

Need more info...Why is it toxic? Without the context its very hard to give advice unless people understand the situation and can relate to it and pass on experiences of dealing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Weekly counselling.
    Use your annual leave effectively. Use sick leave if necessary (your job is making you sick, right?).
    Have your workday planned out so you work on one task at a time and take regular breaks. Don't work late and don't work through your breaks. Don't allow work people to contact you outside hours.
    Don't obsess over pay. you might need to take a paycut to get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Detachment is a useful tool, go in and do your work, but detach yourself from the effects it can have on you from day to day. I find it's easy to let the environment in a working situation drag you down and detract from the work, plus it can leak into your personal life.
    Just remember, it's a job, that's all it is. Remind yourself daily that it cannot control your life. Remind yourself that you will not let this job put you in bad form.

I've had a job like this lately, Friday is my last day. Detachment saved my sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

Get a different job.

Even if its less money, your happiness is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

work hard to get another job as soon as possible.
    no job is worth the feeling of dreading going into a workplace every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Even a job in a café is better than this mental hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clan Therapy

I can sympathize with you. I was in the same boat for 3 years, I hated my job soooo much that I wasn't sleeping, I felt sick going in the doors every morning. Eventually I did get unwell, it took over my mind and I was depressed. I procrastinated for nearly a year on what I should do and I kept coming back to the same answer - LEAVE THE JOB.

I left the job, signed onto social welfare and gave myself time to breath. I can tell you that the weight that was lifted off my shoulders was huge. I have a family and rent etc but you know what, if your determined enough everything works out. I have started my own business which is my passion and I couldn't be happier. Now i'm not making a fortune but I love getting up every morning to go do what I enjoy doing. Only you can make you happy.

My final advice is DON'T HAVE ANY REGRETS, life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Make sure you have a 'treat' lined up for yourself everyday after work and every weekend. A good book, film or TV show you enjoy, the gym , and run/walk, a meet-up with friends ( DON'T discuss your job) anything you love doing that will take your mind away from your job. Make your life as full as time will allow on your days off. Something to really look forward to every single day so your whole day isn't dominated by work.

Good luck with the new job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

klm1 wrote: »
    Detachment is a useful tool, go in and do your work, but detach yourself from the effects it can have on you from day to day. I find it's easy to let the environment in a working situation drag you down and detract from the work, plus it can leak into your personal life.
    Just remember, it's a job, that's all it is. Remind yourself daily that it cannot control your life. Remind yourself that you will not let this job put you in bad form.

I've had a job like this lately, Friday is my last day. Detachment saved my sanity.

Some people can do what you're suggesting due to having an ability to do it which is down to a pure neurological and personality lottery, most can't, why?, because you are physically and mentally in that bloody place for 35-40 hours a week and no amount of 'blue sky thinking' or new age meditation/yogic bollocks alters that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Make sure you have a 'treat' lined up for yourself everyday after work and every weekend. A good book, film or TV show you enjoy, the gym , and run/walk, a meet-up with friends ( DON'T discuss your job) anything you love doing that will take your mind away from your job. Make your life as full as time will allow on your days off. Something to really look forward to every single day so your whole day isn't dominated by work.

Good luck with the new job hunt.

Of all the good advice here, make sure to take on the exercise bit to boost the endorphins and relieve stress.. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

I've a friend who was recently in a similar situation and she coped by giving herself a deadline, so when the longer-range future was mentioned she got some relief telling herself "I won't be here when that happens". She also saved up some money so that if she hadn't managed to make a move by that time she would just leave. I don't know your situation but you're mental health is worth preserving and family obligations will quickly lose focus if you are burnt out or develop some form of anxiety.

Maybe also consider communicating to a line manager or superior/HR that you are struggling and need additional support or a break. Many jobs nowadays have good HR systems and will continue to pay full salary if you need some time off for stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Nobody likes their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corklily05

Hi

I hear every word you're saying. I work nights every other month for the last 13.5 years and while i only have myself to blame for this, i finally got the finger out and did something about it.

Firstly, i exercise to relieve stress, it really does work! I went back to college to give myself the best possible opportunity to get out of the hellhole. I went back 2 years ago to finish my undergrad and now i'm doing a masters.

This part is a struggle but i have to keep reminding myself of the reason why i'm doing this. I had a really tough year in work last year, everybody gave me the same advise, stop trying so hard, go in work smart, not hard and go home.

Also, keep 1 day a week for 'you' time, if you have a partner, spend time with them and have fun. Finally, i went and spoke to someone to get a qualified opinion on this. Work wasn't the only thing that was bothering me but it was the major player.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

In a similar situation but working hours are different. I'm basically away from home from 5 in the morning until 6 in the evening so take 7 or 8 hours for sleeping out of that I only have 3 or 4 hours of time for anything else. I work 2 weeks in a row and then a week off....two 70 hour weeks and then a week off. The commute to work takes an hour each way.
    I also have a toddler and a 5 month old so that doesn't leave much time for myself but I try to get to the gym a few evenings a week which helps if I can find the energy to actually exercise when I get there.
    Obviously on my week off I have time to myself to relax but it's a long time in between weeks off when you work somewhere that you don't enjoy.
    I'm actually going back to full time study in September so just need to power through until then.
    Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Advertisement