Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Employer, trying to change contract

Options
  • 16-02-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Planning on going into the Citizens advice bureau as soon as possible but they are pretty busy! Looking for a little advice in the meantime.

Where I work was sold 3 months ago or so, we were told our contracts would continue for another 2 years but they are trying to change two things on our contracts and I am just wondering if anyone knows if we have any rights.

Firstly, our previous contract stated we were to be paid weekly on a specific day. They are now changing this to bi-weekly, not a massive thing for most but some people are not happy.

Secondly, this one I am personally not happy with. They are after telling us they will be putting in a fingerprint system for clocking in and out of work, prior to this we had nothing but our contracts do say that they are entitled to put in a check-in/out system but I am mostly not happy with the fingerprint as it feels like a total invasion of privacy.

Do we have any rights here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Employers are supposed to have a record of hours worked under Organisation of Working Time legislation unless an exemption applies, but obviously a fingerprint system isn't necessary to achieve this. You have data protection rights. Fingerprints are special category data - your employer should be in a position to give you a statement outlining which legal bases in Articles 6 and 9 of GDPR they are relying on to process fingerprints, and then go from there. You might do better giving the Data Protection Commission a call rather than Citizens' Advice. Fingerprint systems shouldn't store your entire fingerprint so your employer wouldn't have access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Nothing to worry about , The Biometric Clock in/out systems do not take a full fingerprint , They only look for 3 or 4 points from the finger ,

Advertisement