Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Frequent Flyer Program For Us Irish

Options
  • 06-02-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

Is there any decent frequent flyer programs for us Irish where we can build proper points towards proper rewards? Is there some kind of program that is not main stream and under the radar that I don't know about?

Let's call the Aer Credit Card what it is, it's useless. The annual fees far outweigh any of the benefits and you would roughly need to spend 52k in the space of a year to earn enough Avios points for a return flight to Barcelona and even at that you would have to pay the taxes and charges yourself.
    Building Avios point through the SuperValu scheme is pretty useless too when you break it down.

I looked at Emirates Skywards. You can swap 1 for 1 American Express Members Points for Skywards points. This is a pretty decent deal but the problem is that getting an AmEx card as a private Irish customer is pretty much impossible as AmEx look for a bank guarantee from your bank and no Irish bank will provide that for a private customer. And then AmEx isint massively accepted in Ireland due to no time limit on charge back feature.

Looked at One world too. This could be a good program but can't see any way to build points except flying with a OneWorld partner airline or swapping over Avios points to OneWorld points. Again, building them point in Ireland is incredibly hard.

So my question again: Are there any good programs for Irish consumes who don't have business expenses.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Aerclub has the widest range of earning partners in the country by quite some margin; most other schemes if they have any footprint here only have earning on premium car hire operators and branded hotels.

The points per euro on the Aer credit card is about as high as any scheme will offer anywhere covered by the EU Payments Directive 2 due to the lower profits for card vendors since it came in.

You can transfer your Aerclub obtained Avios to BA and Iberia to spend there, merging any earning specific to them in, e.g. some hotel chains that offer BA Avios but not other schemes. Aer Lingus are likely to become a OneWorld Connect member at some point which will offer some status benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭cson

Aedan wrote: »
    Let's call the Aer Credit Card what it is, it's useless. The annual fees far outweigh any of the benefits and you would roughly need to spend 52k in the space of a year to earn enough Avios points for a return flight to Barcelona and even at that you would have to pay the taxes and charges yourself.
    Building Avios point through the SuperValu scheme is pretty useless too when you break it down.

I wouldn't agree that the AF far outweigh the benefits. First of all, its better than nothing. If you continue to pay for your day to day with your debit card, as most do, then you earn **** all. This is marginally better than **** all, but it is better.

There is definitely enough of usable benefits that would potentially offset the AF. (For instance the travel insurance policy is pretty poor, but look at the amount if people who travel without anything. So again, better than nothing.)
    And then AmEx isint massively accepted in Ireland due to no time limit on charge back feature.

As an Amex customer, I've had very little trouble in terms of acceptance in Ireland and Europe, most places don't even look, and if they do its because the Platinum card is metallic and that's not common (albeit Revolut are trying to change that).
    So my question again: Are there any good programs for Irish consumes who don't have business expenses.

Many Thanks.

Avios is your best bet. Again its better than nothing. You're not going to get rewards or loyalty programs to the level of what goes on in the US (and most issuers are backing off big time over there fwiw), because the EU won't allow the wild wild west nature of credit card issuance that's acceptable in the US.

For the casual traveler, just pick the cheapest of everything. Status isn't worth a **** anymore with any of the big airlines/hotels unless you're top tier (Executive Plat with AA for e.g.), and that requires serious miles/stays to obtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have Gold status with EK and I do like it. The lounge in Dubai really shows up how grim the offerings are in DUB :(

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Basically NO!

Most of the american carriers have diluted their FF program so much over the past couple of years its worth feck all now. I was platinum with United and now Silver. It got me damn all to be honest.

I have 100k miles sitting on a virgin account and no way to spend them. The redemptions are really hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭cson

Noxegon wrote: »
    I have Gold status with EK and I do like it. The lounge in Dubai really shows up how grim the offerings are in DUB :(

I've not been to the lounge in DXB but 51st & Green is pretty good imo, certainly a lot better than a lot of lounges in the US. All it's missing is some beer (read Guinness) on draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

cson wrote: »
    I've not been to the lounge in DXB but 51st & Green is pretty good imo, certainly a lot better than a lot of lounges in the US. All it's missing is some beer (read Guinness) on draft.

Better than lounges in the US does not compare to some of the ME3 or wider Asian home base offerings like Singapore. Even compared to some European lounges, ala KLM. Now 51st is really good for after USPC but we don’t suffer a lot of high quality offerings in Dublin. It’s a result of basically only having value carriers as home base.

cson wrote: »

I haven't been to 51st & Green, but, for EK in DXB:

- There are a huge range of food choices available, meaning you can have a proper meal rather than soup/sandwiches. The buffets (plural) include Western, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. They do particularly nice Indian choices. There are also ice cream carts :)
    - The selection of alcohol is very impressive.
    - Newspaper and magazine choices are available from all over the world (though admittedly there's nothing Irish there).
    - Showers are available with towel packs.
    - There are dedicated kids rooms with games/etc meaning the main area of the lounge is peaceful.
    - I've never had problems finding a seat.
    - For the A gates and part of the B gates the lounge is the entire top floor of the terminal. You board directly from the lounge.

A decent shower quickly available is my #1 marker of a good lounge (it's all subjective I know). Travel is a stressful, frenzied experience; and whether it's the airport after a long day or the connecting airport the chance to go into a secluded little oasis and run a hot shower to take the grime off, brush your teeth, etc, is the amenity I value the most.

Taking it back to frequent flyer programs for Ireland, one of the things I find doesn't make it worth baying for status is that lounges are found severely wanting in Dublin on this score. The EI lounge shower is a push button job in a fairly pokey space. Give me space, give me a waterfall combo shower and proper controls and don't bug me if I want to spend half an hour in there because you've got enough to go round.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Taking it back to frequent flyer programs for Ireland, one of the things I find doesn't make it worth baying for status is that lounges are found severely wanting in Dublin on this score. The EI lounge shower is a push button job in a fairly pokey space. Give me space, give me a waterfall combo shower and proper controls and don't bug me if I want to spend half an hour in there because you've got enough to go round.

Totally agree with this. Was pleasantly surprised last week at the EK lounge in BKK, which had one of those showers with a whole bunch of separate horizontal sprays as well as the rainfall head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The Aer credit card doesn't look too bad tbh.
    Here are the T&C's and it says 2 return flights to Europe, upon spending 5000 euro in a year which can be easily done.
    You pay the taxes but you also get some lounge access and priority passes.
    Not sure what the excluded transactions are but it could be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup any perk of lounge access in Dublin is not great tbh, Etihad has the nicest lounge, followed by 51st but compared to DXB, SIN, SYD they're poor. Last time flying EK from DUB I didn't even bother with the lounge and just sat at that fortnum&mason rip off in T2.

The Aer credit card doesn't look too bad tbh.
    Here are the T&C's and it says 2 return flights to Europe, upon spending 5000 euro in a year which can be easily done.

From the T&Cs:

"c) You will be asked to complete a booking request form and send this to Aer Lingus through the Aer Credit Card Portal. On the booking request form you tell us your preferred departure airport, destinations and travel dates. You must also select a time for Aer Lingus to contact you on your booking request."

That's completely mental. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

From the T&Cs:

"c) You will be asked to complete a booking request form and send this to Aer Lingus through the Aer Credit Card Portal. On the booking request form you tell us your preferred departure airport, destinations and travel dates. You must also select a time for Aer Lingus to contact you on your booking request."

That's completely mental. No thanks.

Like something when the internet was first invented. Obviously not expecting a large volume.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Like something when the internet was first invented. Obviously not expecting a large volume.

It’s shamefully ridiculous - they have put major marketing money behind a product and campaign, their first really in Ireland since the rebrand, and they haven’t actually worked to ensure the customer experience is delivered on at an acceptable standard, ie automated web based booking. All fur coat and no knickers stuff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There are also ice cream carts :)
    Be still my beating heart!

Doubt I'll ever get to try that experience though.

It’s shamefully ridiculous - they have put major marketing money behind a product and campaign, their first really in Ireland since the rebrand, and they haven’t actually worked to ensure the customer experience is delivered on at an acceptable standard, ie automated web based booking. All fur coat and no knickers stuff.
    Sounds like the whole AerClub debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Almost without exception, unless you're flying extremely frequently and those flights include a lot of long haul, the frequent flier programmes are a complete joke.

I don't see the point of even having membership of any of them as you basically can't climb the tiers at all and they just seem to be aimed at a tiny % of high end business passengers on most airlines.

I honestly don't know why they bother.

Aveos is so complicated as a scheme that you'd actually need to sit down and study how it's various processes and if you're an ordinary flyer doing a few flights a year, don't expect anything back.

You'd be better off using your SuperValu points in SuperValu and getting a credit card that actually works for you with a better rate. The amount you'd need to spend to her anything back is a joke.

Sorry if I'm a bit cynical of these schemes but they really don't offer anything to most passengers.

I mean even if you could purchase some of the tiers it would make more sense as it would be handy to be able to get some premium services as a business flyer but you can't ... So they clearly aren't aiming to give anything back. It's just another way of pushing their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Almost without exception, unless you're flying extremely frequently and those flights include a lot of long haul, the frequent flier programmes are a complete joke.

I don't see the point of even having membership of any of them as you basically can't climb the tiers at all and they just seem to be aimed at a tiny % of high end business passengers on most airlines.

I honestly don't know why they bother.

Aveos is so complicated as a scheme that you'd actually need to sit down and study how it's various processes and if you're an ordinary flyer doing a few flights a year, don't expect anything back.

You'd be better off using your SuperValu points in SuperValu and getting a credit card that actually works for you with a better rate. The amount you'd need to spend to her anything back is a joke.

Sorry if I'm a bit cynical of these schemes but they really don't offer anything to most passengers.

I mean even if you could purchase some of the tiers it would make more sense as it would be handy to be able to get some premium services as a business flyer but you can't ... So they clearly aren't aiming to give anything back. It's just another way of pushing their brand.

I really don't see it that way.
    I wouldn't be a frequent flyer but i always sign up with whoever i'm flying with and that would usually be long haul to Asia.
    It doesn't cost me anything and doesn't take long.
    Last year i flew with Qatar to Thailand with the Wife and Kids and on the way back through Doha, i already had been credited enough points that i bought 2 bottles of Bombay Sapphire in the duty free.
    Yes i know its not an upgrade or a free flight but it was something and i still have points on my account.
    When Etihad were my usual choice, i'd always have enough points to order a good bottle of perfume from their online site.
    Again, it didn't cost me anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I still miss the old gold circle scheme where you could convert your points at Christmas into Arnotts or Brown Thomas vouchers, it actually felt like you got something for being a frequent flyer and it would influence who you would travel with especially getting close to Christmas.

For now I don't get any benefit from Aerclub except the fastpass security at Dublin. The lounge is no benefit as its too small and always packed. And trying to book something with Avios is a joke.

I also have Hertz Presidents card = Useless, you get the odd upgrade but the points are worthless in Ireland/Europe

I also have Accor Hotels card = Great, 2000 points is €40 which works great for the odd weekend away not in Ireland since they only have 1 hotel here

I also use Hotels.com = Great, you effectively get 10% back on your hotel bookings, which works out great for the odd Irish Weekend away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

eusap wrote: »
    I

I also have Hertz Presidents card = Useless, you get the odd upgrade but the points are worthless in Ireland/Europe

The oddity with Hertz is that the main benefits come with the most basic level - expedited checkout, queue hopping, car pre-prepped, pick-your-own from the compound in the US and so on. But in some countries that's all you get - there are no points awarded at all!

You used to have to either pay or have decent status to get that but it was changed in 2012 or so.

Loyalty schemes in general are getting worse. I've Radisson status again after years of not having it and it has been devalued to basically a slightly better discount in the restaurant. Points are near worthless now and the main Irish location people wanted to spend them in has dropped the franchise (Farnham)

Back in the old days with a cheapskate employer I had Best Western status, main use there was cashing out points to one4all cards. But they've two properties left in the entire country I think

I keep going back to Hotels.com, because it's universal across hotel groups. I do too much travel to too many places where different brands have different footprints, and getting status with them consistently would be difficult particularly considering company travel policy around finding the best deal within certain constraints etc. So I book using my own Hotels.com account, probably 40 nights a year on work travel and another 20 on personal / holidays etc, and that nets me 6 cash vouchers to use against nights for myself and the missus. Sometimes I roll it onto my vacation, sometimes I'll use it for a weekend stay somewhere; occasionally I'll use them if I'm on a night out far enough away from home that it'd be an expensive taxi home, sure book into a hotel and get my breakfast usually either free or for only a few quid more than my voucher and less than the taxi. Sorted.

What am I missing? Free upgrades where available. A special line for check in. Who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BA Executive Club and Hilton Honors are my go to programs for the past year.

Hilton have been running pretty generous promotions virtually non-stop for the past 18 months.

Aer Club is useful if you stick to Aer Lingus routes but the fact that it isn't part of OneWorld is a disadvantage. BA being a member of OneWorld means that you have virtually all the flexibility you could need when flying West (opens up American direct out of Dublin too). Flying east with BA can be expensive but I would far prefer to fly Qatar Airways anyway as they are absolutely exceptional and more competitive in terms of cost. The blockade has messed things up a wee but but I have fallen to Royal Jordanian for Egypt flights and they aren't bad at all.

Both are pretty good for redemptions. You can use BA Avios for Aer Lingus redemptions too. Let's see what Aer Club will be like after Aer Lingus joins the Trans Atlantic Joint Venture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I was booking a return flight from cork to LHR today and it was costing 128 return, i tried to book with avios then and it was 8000 points plus 132 euro???

Its a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I was booking a return flight from cork to LHR today and it was costing 128 return, i tried to book with avios then and it was 8000 points plus 132 euro???

Its a laugh!

Yup - only value I see is on BA reward fares or LH with Aer Lingus, 28000 plus about 200 in economy.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/324102/ryanair-unveils-frequent-flyer-scheme

“A new Ryanair Choice scheme aimed at frequent travellers for an annual fee of €199 includes seat assignment, fast track and priority boarding.”

Interesting. I wonder will it include the really premium seats, ie 1A (quicker off) and legroom exit rows? Every time I fly with them I stump up the cash for it, so that would turn my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/324102/ryanair-unveils-frequent-flyer-scheme

“A new Ryanair Choice scheme aimed at frequent travellers for an annual fee of €199 includes seat assignment, fast track and priority boarding.”

Interesting. I wonder will it include the really premium seats, ie 1A (quicker off) and legroom exit rows? Every time I fly with them I stump up the cash for it, so that would turn my head.

Takes 22 flights a year before you start to see any benefit.

You didn't actually think that Ryanair would do something decent for the passenger?!

Takes 22 flights a year before you start to see any benefit.

You didn't actually think that Ryanair would do something decent for the passenger?!

Well it's aimed at business travellers, so I'd question if it would take 22 flights depending on what's actually included.

If I take a Dublin - Brussels flight on 3 April, standard fare €19.99 but Plus is €59.15 to include priority, standard seat selection, 2 cabin bags and a checked bag. Let's assume the checked bag isn't included with Ryanair Choice, but the other 3 are. I'd still be paying extra for security fast track.

Unbundled priority with 2 cabin bags is costing €6, and standard seat selection €4-7, exit row €14, front row €20 and 2nd row €13. So depending on what's included, lets just say €4 basic seat selection. Security fast track is €8 in Dublin (and €9 in Brussels on the way back).

So instead of paying €39.16 extra for the Plus fare, I'm going to unbundle and pay €18 for these extras and not check a big bag. Divide that into €199 and it's going to take me 11 flights to make my money back. If they're including exit row seats, or seats closer to the front where you're paying €7-13 for a seat, that obviously comes down (I, for one, always buy a legroom seat and even if they were discounting that on Choice it would make a material difference with the amount of flying I do). Most people fly returns so 11 flights is six trips and you're in the money at a conservative estimate.

In the context of business flyers, who Ryanair is going after in a big way in recent years (indeed, flying to Brussels proper is an example of this play), 6 return flights can be a few short weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

- There are a huge range of food choices available, meaning you can have a proper meal rather than soup/sandwiches. The buffets (plural) include Western, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. They do particularly nice Indian choices. There are also ice cream carts :)
    - The selection of alcohol is very impressive.
    - Newspaper and magazine choices are available from all over the world (though admittedly there's nothing Irish there).
    - There are dedicated kids rooms with games/etc meaning the main area of the lounge is peaceful.
    - I've never had problems finding a seat.
    - For the A gates and part of the B gates the lounge is the entire top floor of the terminal. You board directly from the lounge.
    Don't forget those bed things they have as well!

Although I do prefer EY first lounge in Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I don't actually fly with FR very often but if I did I would definitely be interested in this. I was taking a couple of flights a week with easyJet a few years ago and I signed up for their version of this (easyJet club) and it was money well spent.
    I think it cost £200 a year but gave me fast track security, up front seat selection, speedy (priority) boarding, and most importantly the second cabin bag which meant that I never had to check one in. It also meant that I could change to an earlier flight on the day if I turned up early. At the time I reckoned it had paid for itself in about three or four weeks.

I don't actually fly with FR very often but if I did I would definitely be interested in this. I was taking a couple of flights a week with easyJet a few years ago and I signed up for their version of this (easyJet club) and it was money well spent.
    I think it cost £200 a year but gave me fast track security, up front seat selection, speedy (priority) boarding, and most importantly the second cabin bag which meant that I never had to check one in. It also meant that I could change to an earlier flight on the day if I turned up early. At the time I reckoned it had paid for itself in about three or four weeks.

Probably a good bet FRs model will hew closely to that so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Probably a good bet FRs model will hew closely to that so.
    They won't go too far wrong if they copy this model, it works well and gives you everything you need.

Advertisement