Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Razor - Wet Shave

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Cartridge razors are pure shit. Get yourself a straight razor (avoid shavettes, they are very unforgiving and you get no warning before slicing into your skin) or a double edge safety razor and a beaver brush and bowl. You won't lok back, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Cartridge razors are pure shit. Get yourself a straight razor (avoid shavettes, they are very unforgiving and you get no warning before slicing into your skin) or a double edge safety razor and a beaver brush and bowl. You won't lok back, I promise.

Any idea where one could be picked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Any joy? Like the look of that site.Looking to take the plunge myself but it does get fair confusing.

Not yet,it's being sorted,probably take 5-7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Any idea where one could be picked up?

Shaving.ie.

Great service and cheap prices for quality products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Ordered the starter pack off Shaving.ie on Monday night arrived today 2 days later. Used the Muehle blade there now the difference is night and day in comparison to Mach 3 which I've been using all along.
    So refreshing but time consuming, I was scared of nicking myself so that probably added.. takes me back 30 years ago learning to shave with my fathers blade blood everywhere:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I'd advise to check out some of these videos on DE shaving. This guy has some great tips for a close shaves, and funny too. He became a boardsie a while ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

My kit is
    -Mekur Progress
    -Feather DE Blades
    -proraso shave soap
    -badger hair brush
    -speick after shave balm

Taking the time to do some pre-shave prep gives a fantastic shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

My deodorant stick only arrived from boldking this morning,had actually forgotten about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Also to note, be careful disposing of DE Blades. Some DE blades come in a plastic case, that has a slot at the bottom to slide old blades into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Crock Rock wrote: »
    or a double edge safety razor and a beaver brush and bowl. You won't lok back, I promise.

:eek:
    not much demand for that type of brush I'd say. Stick with badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'd advise to check out some of these videos on DE shaving. This guy has some great tips for a close shaves, and funny too. He became a boardsie a while ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

My kit is
    -Mekur Progress
    -Feather DE Blades
    -proraso shave soap
    -badger hair brush
    -speick after shave balm

Taking the time to do some pre-shave prep gives a fantastic shave.

I always enjoy PaulH Films too he seems a nice man :)

• Advertisement

Well I picked up a safety razor along with my brush and shaving cream, I'm getting a great shave but a few little tiny nicks, I look like someone dragged through a ditch...is it my skin or am I doing something wrong?

Well I picked up a safety razor along with my brush and shaving cream, I'm getting a great shave but a few little tiny nicks, I look like someone dragged through a ditch...is it my skin or am I doing something wrong?

It will take a while to get used to the technique of a DE.

When you use a Mach 3 you need to kinda press it against the skin. A DE you hold it against the skin like you are rubbing a feather gently down your face, don't press down with it

Then there's also how much prep you do. Some can get away with rubbing some hot water into the face, others may need hot water and massage the face or even leave a hot towel or face cloth on the face for a few minutes

You can also use stuff like pre shave cream or oil to soften the hair

Then theres how many passes you do, some do the 3 pass where as with my own skin for example no amount of prep would let me do more than 1 pass with the grain

Let us know what your prep is when and we can see the story

It will take a while to get used to the technique of a DE.

When you use a Mach 3 you need to kinda press it against the skin. A DE you hold it against the skin like you are rubbing a feather gently down your face, don't press down with it

Then there's also how much prep you do. Some can get away with rubbing some hot water into the face, others may need hot water and massage the face or even leave a hot towel or face cloth on the face for a few minutes

You can also use stuff like pre shave cream or oil to soften the hair

Then theres how many passes you do, some do the 3 pass where as with my own skin for example no amount of prep would let me do more than 1 pass with the grain

Let us know what your prep is when and we can see the story

I have been simply dabbing my face with warm water, then lathering with shaving cream and shaving like I was with a Gillette, I probably need to spend more time preparing my face I'm ready in less then a minute, I have a rather soft/sensitive skin, and I probably need to learn how much pressure I am applying.

I will say, despite the nicks, I am thoroughly enjoying the ritual!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I just do it after a hot shower, little dab of cream on the brush, lather it on the face. Passes depend on how much stubble but it's easy after a shower.
    An alum block is essential.

Ah yes unless you've been in shower first like DM recommend you'd want to soften a bit more. I usually get a steaming hot face cloth wash my face then wet it again and hold it against my face for a couple minutes

Just try using the DE like I said gently touch to your face the blade will do the work

What are ye getting out of a blade? A blade every shave is about my go doing 3 passes. Normal or am I wasting blades? I just feel them getting rougher even though they're still cutting well-ish. Astra Superior blades part of a starter pack I got on shaving.ie.

A blade every shave your doing something wrong, I get maybe 6 or so shaves, probably change the blade every 2 weeks. If your finding them rough try a different blade. What razor are you using, is there a bit of weight to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Generally get 4/5 shaves per blade (Astra, 7oclock, Rapira, Voskhod, etc.) Some give less (Gillette Wilkinson Sword), others give more (current fave, Nacet, which gives 15/20 shaves).

I shave every day, so tend to change as soon as I feel a blade getting dull, think blades are a little more forgiving for longer growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I generally use them for 2 or 3 shaves before changing ,I could probably knock more shaves out of them but I just like the new blade feel , especially when using the safety blades because they are so cheap .

I am using the vlodstock blades and find them brilliant , tried the muhle blades and found them to tug a bit at the beard before cutting . I'm just using a wilkinson sword razor from the chemist to hold the blades . Is there much difference between the more expensive razors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DE convert here as well, shaving is much more enjoyable now.
    I can now shave every two days, 3 pass every time, instead of twice a week and it hurting..
    I change my blade every 4 shaves, 7 o'clock sharp edge.
    Could probably get more from it but I have loads and they're cheap.

Tip for anyone starting though, map your facial hair to save you some pain.

• Advertisement

A blade every shave your doing something wrong, I get maybe 6 or so shaves, probably change the blade every 2 weeks. If your finding them rough try a different blade. What razor are you using, is there a bit of weight to it?

A Muehle 89 I think. Just shaved there now with the same blade for the third time I was wrong,Plenty sharp enough. had the kids watching me I mauled myself. Never again.

Have you an alum block...works a treat for nicks...after a shower is best to avoid any cuts you'll get better at it don't worry.

No alum block no. Showered, soaked brush, proraso lather from bowl, 3 passes- last upgrain. Loving it and haven't suffered unduly until this evening when I couldn't concentrate!

What's the alum block for? Have a magnesium sulphate stick great yoke but sure does sting.

Both do the same job the pencil and is better for deeper cuts. Block might be better for stinging made of the same thing.
    The better a cream the better the shave as well...I got the Jack Black Supreme Shaving Cream last time it's very good. Used plenty of the old Taylor of bond Street creams, excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gioette Fusion for me

Advertisement