Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&Q Watches

Options
  • 14-02-2019 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭

I was in a jeweller the other day and I saw a load of Q&Q watches in a cabinet. I'd forgotten all about the brand but upon seeing them it brought back memories of them as a kid. They were in all the cheap shops when I was a kid in the 80s. Even back then I knew they were a cheap brand and the packaging/promotion material was so low I thought they were an Irish or UK brand.

I just Googled them now and it seems that it's actually a division of Citizen, is that the case?

https://qq-watch.jp/eng/about/index.html

So any company history from other manufacturers that surprised you?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sekonda. Pretty big in the 70's. I knew a few people who had them. Had TV ads and all.

What I didn't know at the time was they were rebadged Russian made watches.

IIRC they've been made in China since the 90's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sekonda. Pretty big in the 70's. I knew a few people who had them. Had TV ads and all.

What I didn't know at the time was they were rebadged Russian made watches.

IIRC they've been made in China since the 90's.

Really? I had thought they were a British company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pulsar owned by Seiko have an interesting history too.

In spring 1972,[1][2] the first Pulsar watch was marketed by Hamilton Watch (the parent company, not the Hamilton Watch Division). With an 18-carat gold case, the world's first all-electronic digital watch was also the first to use a digital display – created with light-emitting diodes (LEDs).[3] A button was pressed to display the time. The first Pulsar initially sold for $2100 ($13,000 in 2018 dollars).

hamilton-pulsar-p1-limited-edition-1972_4eba.1080.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Really? I had thought they were a British company?
    It was a Soviet front. Commies!! :eek::D:D Well it was a British company set up in the 70's IIRC to import and rebadge Russian made watches. The Soviet Union were selling their watches overseas through various companies for years. It was a good way to get some hard currency. If you look on ebay for Soviet era watches you'l notice a load of them have English writing on the dials. They were for the export market, the ones with Cyrillic were for the local market. They also brought in some pieces from Hong Kong particularly digitals before the Russians caught up with the tech.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I've only good things to say about Sekonda I've had great lasting in the €50 ones I've had

As an aside, Pulsar is a part of Seiko what other brands are part of larger groups

For instance I see Lorus is well stocked in Argos and various small shops who are they part of?

Edit: Seems they are Seiko as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement