Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingshot for a kid

Options
  • 12-02-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section or even allowed here so mods move/delete if necessary.

I've a black widow catapult that I use the odd time. I'd go down the woods nearby and set up cans and bits of paper on trees and shoot away at the targets. I use gravel in the woods and 9mm bearings out my back as I can collect them.
    My 10yo has come with me the last few times and loves it. The only issue is he can't get enough of a draw to generate power to hit the targets with the black widow.
    I'm thinking of getting him his own for his birthday. Any ideas of one that will have a soft enough band for him to use? Looking online there's 100s but I've no idea about the bands. Also, I'm using 9mm bearings myself, should I stick to them or go smaller for him?
    Thanks.

Edit.
    This will be used responsibly, he won't be allowed have it on his own and it'll be put away with my one where he can't get it when it's not in use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Plenty of media, forums and the like in the UK.
    British catapult association - Facebook.

My father made me a traditional catapult using heavy gauge round wire. It was powered by various means ranging from bundled heavy duty stationary rubber bands, elasticated cord and eventually rubber tubing as found on the likes of the black widows. I got a cast 'Y' shape aluminium with square rubbers and a leather pad from either Garnnet and Kegeans or Watts Bros. Both designs were adequate for a young lad.

If you get onto some of the English groups you'll come across a wide variety of sling shots suitable for all ages and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

I was watching a lad talk about slingshots etc on Fieldsports channel at Youtube... https://youtu.be/1g6DM4Bg9Co
    Seems he is
    Wayne Martin Catty Shack
    if you search him on Youtube he seems to be the man for everything slingshot related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

Croohur wrote: »
    I was watching a lad talk about slingshots etc on Fieldsports channel at Youtube... https://youtu.be/1g6DM4Bg9Co
    Seems he is
    Wayne Martin Catty Shack
    if you search him on Youtube he seems to be the man for everything slingshot related

I was onto him already thru Facebook. Top quality stuff but expensive. It was £35 for a beginner's slingshot and 100 BBS with UK delivery and another £12 to Ireland. Even with parcel motel it would still be well over €40.

I'll have another look online. If I don't find anything I'll probably go with cattyshack.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

.red. wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right section or even allowed here so mods move/delete if necessary.

I've a black widow catapult that I use the odd time. I'd go down the woods nearby and set up cans and bits of paper on trees and shoot away at the targets. I use gravel in the woods and 9mm bearings out my back as I can collect them.
    My 10yo has come with me the last few times and loves it. The only issue is he can't get enough of a draw to generate power to hit the targets with the black widow.
    I'm thinking of getting him his own for his birthday. Any ideas of one that will have a soft enough band for him to use? Looking online there's 100s but I've no idea about the bands. Also, I'm using 9mm bearings myself, should I stick to them or go smaller for him?
    Thanks.

Edit.
    This will be used responsibly, he won't be allowed have it on his own and it'll be put away with my one where he can't get it when it's not in use.

You can buy cheap rubber slings online man for less then 10 euro from a good few suppliers, then all you need is a forked peice of wood and some elastic bands to hold it together. If you don't want to go the homemade route check wish them boys in China will probably have a nice child freindly one.

Advertisement