Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric fireplace VS another TV

Options
  • 07-02-2019 1:53am

Howdy do folks.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this at all?

I'm renovating the sitting room as best I can. I like having a fireplace for a bit of atmosphere/cosiness, but our house has a gas boiler, so I don't need it for actual heat, and I have no interest in cleaning out a fireplace.

So.. I reckoned an electric fire would be the way to go. Seen a few that looked decent, and this one really caught my eye. However, I have seen a few of these (at a lower price tag, admittedly) in shops, and the flame effect tends to look pretty poor on the ones I seen. Look a little cheap-hologram-y or something.

So I was wondering, would it make sense for me to just buy another TV, and fit it flush to the wall? And then use Youtube to play a virtual fireplace video instead of having an actual electric fire? My main TV will be a 55". I'm sure I can pick up a 32" to place under it, as a 'fireplace' for less than I'd spend on an actual electric fireplace? (I can get a smart 32" tv for about €180)

Or am i overlooking something very obvious? No one really seems to be doing this, and I can't figure out why.. Even google is giving me nothing at all.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I can't see a smaller TV under a bigger one looking good at all. I'm not a fan of TVs on walls but a second TV would worry be even more. Cheapest thing to do might be to buy an alcohol gel fire - these won't need electrical cabling or cleaning but should get you the effect and look that you're going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Sorry but both ideas sound dreadful. Maybe consider a stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That fire is way to high....TV should be at eye level...Google is full of pictures of how not to do it..

This is about right for TV viewing I'd even say both the fire and TV could be a little lower....
    IMG-20190206-WA0016-2.jpg

That fire is way to high....TV should be at eye level...Google is full of pictures of how not to do it..

This is about right for TV viewing I'd even say both the fire and TV could be a little lower....

I think the picture of the fire on their site is just to show it off a bit, and not an actual height suggestion.

Mine would be about 6" off the floor (like yourself, I find people tend to wall-mount TVs way too high up).

I reckon an electric fire like you posted there would cost in the thousands. Most of them in the budget i'd like to spend (500 or less) seem to be just like TVs themselves. Thick black gloss borders around a (relative to the overall size) small fire.

The TV idea i liked as i planned to mount the TV inside the wall (if that makes sense) but I still don't think it'd look great.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Cheapest thing to do might be to buy an alcohol gel fire - these won't need electrical cabling or cleaning but should get you the effect and look that you're going for.

I've never even heard of this until now! :eek::o

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    Sorry but both ideas sound dreadful. Maybe consider a stove?

I've no need for a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I saw a pretty cool looking faux fire online a few weeks ago. I think it basically worked on the principle of a fog machine/vape where propylene glycol is heated to create the flame/smoke with a strip of yellow/red flickering LED's illuminating the 'flame'. Looked incredibly realistic IIRC.

(Propylene Glycol as well as being used in fog machines and vapes is used in hospital ventilation systems as an anti-bacterial/viral agent.)

I'll have another google later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've never even heard of this until now! :eek::o

Have you looked into it? Basically the alcohol or gel can produce a flame but minimal heat. This means you don't need to work about flues, chimneys etc. This is also important if you plan to mount the TV above the fire and without a mantle - excess heat from the fire rises and can interfere with and/or destroy the TV. Not so much an issuee where there is a mantle piece to direct the heat away from the wall.

Drunkmoney's image could involve an alcoholofire. Generally you have a reservoir or trench and some stones. Pour in the alcohol ro gel and light when you want it. Instant dancing flames but limited heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think the picture of the fire on their site is just to show it off a bit, and not an actual height suggestion.

Mine would be about 6" off the floor (like yourself, I find people tend to wall-mount TVs way too high up).

I'd put it lower, your not going to mount the TV 6ft from the ground that way too high you shouldn't have to bend your neck, 3ft would be about right you can take the fire down to nearly floor level.
    Were looking at doing something similar to the picture, we never use the fire so it would be nearly for decorating only, chimney is there etc so maybe even a tiny stove with a chimney inside the chimney so the TV doesn't get roasted.

Just spotted these water vapour fires, dimplex do one for about €500...
    They look the business https://www.a-fireplace.com/water-vapor-fireplace/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rXt2rGy4AIVzL3tCh0BCQFwEAMYAiAAEgLmuPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have my tv in bedroom nearly 6ft off the floor in a unit and handy to see in bed as bed can raise/lower each end of bed to be comfy.It will depend on location as my main tv is 2 1/2 feet off the floor at eye level.

• Advertisement

I'd put it lower, your not going to mount the TV 6ft from the ground that way too high you shouldn't have to bend your neck, 3ft would be about right you can take the fire down to nearly floor level.
    Were looking at doing something similar to the picture, we never use the fire so it would be nearly for decorating only, chimney is there etc so maybe even a tiny stove with a chimney inside the chimney so the TV doesn't get roasted.

Just spotted these water vapour fires, dimplex do one for about €500...
    They look the business https://www.a-fireplace.com/water-vapor-fireplace/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rXt2rGy4AIVzL3tCh0BCQFwEAMYAiAAEgLmuPD_BwE

Sorry, when I said 6" off the ground, I meant six inches, and was referring to the 'fire', not the TV. :)

Advertisement