Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animals and birds you used to never see...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Seeing jays and Sparrowhawks in city garden in recent years never saw them before(in my garden)
    There is a couple of Oaks trees nearby that are starting to mature/get big I think the Jays are coming for that. I seen them with acorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

CJhaughey wrote:
    I caught an Almaco jack a few years back, pretty unusual for these waters, see plenty of red squirrels most weeks and have noticed a few Jays coming around they don't come much closer than 40m to the house but are easily observable. Lots of Frogs as well, I try and keep a section of ground undisturbed with long grass and wild flowers in the summer and I think this aids them as it doesn't dry out as much as mown lawn. Plenty of mature trees around also helps with cover for larger animals, I found a sika fawn grazing the edge of the drive last year. I could walk up to within 2m of it and it didn't seem shy at all.

Wow thats a catch to be proud of ! I'd say theres only yourself and maybe 1 or 2 others between Ireland and Britain that have caught an almaco. Love hearing of interesting catches like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

A rare half-male and half-female cardinal has been spotted here in Pennsylvania, USA and reported by National Geographic. Scientists are hopeful it will reproduce because it is female on the left side - and that is the side the ovaries are located.

dywatngvsaadfg8.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=634&h=379&crop=1

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Threads gone mad!

My thoughts, jays are apparently very shy birds and hide away in forests, I might see them 4 or 5 times a year, but one day recently I saw about 5 on the same walk. They get less fussy in autumn when they are panicking trying to stockpile food for the winter. And also in spring when nesting I guess. I seen a stoat a year or 2 ago. That was a good score. Kingfishers? So bloody small and so fast I know they are right in front of me sometimes but still can't see them. You need to have an hour to sit by a river. Goldfinches, getting fierce common now, but never seen them until recently. Never seen a sparrowhawk either but buzzards all over the shop now. They were extinct here when I was growing up. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I used to see many white wagtails and swifts and all I see now is corvids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

emo72 wrote: »
    Threads gone mad!

My thoughts, jays are apparently very shy birds and hide away in forests, I might see them 4 or 5 times a year, but one day recently I saw about 5 on the same walk. They get less fussy in autumn when they are panicking trying to stockpile food for the winter. And also in spring when nesting I guess. I seen a stoat a year or 2 ago. That was a good score. Kingfishers? So bloody small and so fast I know they are right in front of me sometimes but still can't see them. You need to have an hour to sit by a river. Goldfinches, getting fierce common now, but never seen them until recently. Never seen a sparrowhawk either but buzzards all over the shop now. They were extinct here when I was growing up. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?
    Ref kingfisher- need a quiet place by a clean stream, up early- patience needed- once one is spotted on a perch , remember it , always use the same 5/6 on a 2/3 k stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Seen a few stoats recently. Hares are frequent visitors to our garden. The trail cam we have set up in the corner of the back garden has captured a pinemartin on a few occasions, and frequent visits from foxes.
    We have 6-7 bird feeders up and get a lot of birds. Including a pheasant that must be nearly considered a permanent resident at this stage as he is so frequently seen. He doesn't seem to mind us about the place either, which is nice of him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've yet to see a pine Martin , not sure how common they are around cork...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not common but about alright,used to live in cloughduv ,saw a few,and one near Murphy's farm walk, bishoptown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Threads gone mad!

. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?

Dormice are not found in Ireland. What your cousin saw was more likely a Bank Vole.

http://www.conserveireland.com/mammals/bank-vole.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Loevly to read all the accounts.

There does seem to be a great increase in wildlife. It's thrilling.
    A sparrowhawk flew along the tops of electricity poles in front of me as I drove, like a game.
    There are more hunting birds for sure, like Buzzards. I watched an older bigger one training a younger one to hunt.
    I saw an eagle once, rise up from the ground. One of the best things that ever happened to me.
    I saw a mother red squirrel last year leading her tiny weeny babies across the road - it would make you cry how pretty they are.
    We are inundated with Sika deer, can hardly go for a single walk without seeing their white tails as they dart away. Sometimes the first mile of my car journey on these quiet roads is following silly little deer who won't jump into the hedge.
    There is a pine martin who visits who is so huge and scary looking that it gives me the creeps.
    Foxes, badgers, stoats, hares. All seem to be thriving.
    There is something big or a group of somethings that has set up home in the garden recently, ruffling fallen needles and leaf under the trees. We have fairly dense tree cover in parts so it would be an ideal hiding/sleeping place. It's not a badger. It's an on-going mystery.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Dormice are not found in Ireland. What your cousin saw was more likely a Bank Vole.

Yes they are. He lives in Kildare where they have been sited. They are not easily mistaken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-dormouse-makes-first-appearance-in-ireland-1.1464474%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes they are. He lives in Kildare where they have been sited. They are not easily mistaken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-dormouse-makes-first-appearance-in-ireland-1.1464474%3fmode=amp

Goodness, a new one! Amazing.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Goodness, a new one! Amazing.

I know yeah! It is a cute little bugger isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

notobtuse wrote: »
    A rare half-male and half-female cardinal has been spotted here in Pennsylvania, USA and reported by National Geographic. Scientists are hopeful it will reproduce because it is female on the left side - and that is the side the ovaries are located.

dywatngvsaadfg8.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=634&h=379&crop=1

Yeah, but the right side is violently pecking any males that approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Saw my first Red Kite today. Flying over the N2 near Ashbourne, Co. Meath. I was raging it was somewhere I couldn't pull over and watch it for a while but still chuffed to spot it.

Elusive , but here alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Saw one outside Ballygarvan of all places, one in Cloughduv years ago and in Gougane Barra alongside red squirrels

• Advertisement

Not so much a never seen as a never heard (in Ireland), the Cuckoo,
    I'd always thought I just hadn't recognised the sound, till I heard one once in Cornwall....

Used hear it regularly in Uam var estate ( near Murphys farm) years ago , gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Buzzards- absolutely everywhere! In the warm, dry summer weather you’d see loads of them perched along the motorway
    I never used notice then before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Used hear it regularly in Uam var estate ( near Murphys farm) years ago , gone now

Common enough here in West Limerick, but to be guaranteed to hear one, go to the Burren in May, up around Ballinalacken Castle. You can easily call them into sight if you can make the right sound blowing into your cupped hands. The late Éamonn de Buitléir showed me how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was just having a walk with the kids in the woods , and they spotted a red squirrel , ( not the first time we've seen one there ) , but they've got to be getting common for my 2 to notice him , and he was doing a good bit of acrobatics - tree to tree leaps .. taking no notice of us ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

JCJCJC wrote: »

Amazing. Must be some flying machine or stalker to catch a black headed gull.

Advertisement