Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted Bird in Rushes - What is it ?

Options
  • 08-02-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Spotted a bird in the rushes. ( mountain wet area ). Never notice it until i am somewhat close and flies away. Long beak, brown in colour. What would it be.

Will it nest in the rushes ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Woodcock or snipe possibly how big was it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Spotted a bird in the rushes. ( mountain wet area ). Never notice it until i am somewhat close and flies away. Long beak, brown in colour. What would it be.

Will it nest in the rushes ?

Size of the bird? Snipe maybe. Unlikely to nest there, most of them migrate in for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Thanks guys. looked a pics of the snipe and woodcock and looks like a snipe.

So does it leave after winter ? ( happy to help the birdie any way i can)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks guys. looked a pics of the snipe and woodcock and looks like a snipe.

So does it leave after winter ? ( happy to help the birdie any way i can)

They are resident all year round, though some areas would have an influx in Winter. They are common and widespread.

Not sure how you would help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

( happy to help the birdie any way i can)

If you own the land the best way to help the bird for this and future winters is to maintain the wet rushy habitat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement