Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are used bikes so damn expensive

Options
  • 21-01-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

as the post says I have been keeping an eye out for a while now for an older bike to learn to ride on everywhere I look the prices are crazy relative to what you would pay for a new bike

case in point is the adv and enduro bikes you would be better off buying new and having warranty compared to buying the "one careful owner" "never dropped" bull I'm seeing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This is fairly true, I disagree that buying new is better though. Bikes hold their value well, and when it comes to selling you'll find that slow depreciation is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Remember that like everything motorcycles have fads or fashions.
    10 years ago Sportsbikes were everything, now you can buy a litre sportsbike from the early 2000's for 2-3k and even late model ones are not in huge demand.
    Adventure bikes back then were for greybeards and didn't command that much of a premium, now they are flavour of the month and have been big sellers for the last 5 years at least, that's why they command biggish money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...because new bikes are expensive, that's why: that and the fact they're sold in small numbers in this country.

Somebody who's in the market for, say, a 3k bike, isn't going to look at 15k bikes, so the comparison is moot.

And, there are far more people looking for a 3k bike than a 15k one, so you've more demand, more competition, etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The disparity in prices is always a bit crazy.

I'm in the market for a new bike this year, so I'm checking out DoneDeal and so on for prices.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes?words=yamaha%20dragstar

On this list there's a 650cc going for more than an 1100cc, despite the the latter having a big engine, more extras and by looks of it, better looked after.

From what I can tell after looking, it looks like the prices of the entry level A class bikes have a higher price.

Bigger is not always better though, look at the DL series , the 650 is a nicer engine than the 1000.
    People may be thinking of fuel consumption, weight and insurance as well, its horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

My last 9 bikes iv'e bought in the UK but the last couple iv'e noticed even their used prices seem to be rising. That said on average they are still cheaper and the condition of most is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

My last 9 bikes iv'e bought in the UK but the last couple iv'e noticed even their used prices seem to be rising. That said on average they are still cheaper and the condition of most is far superior.

Depends on the year. The UK stuff is good value when it's a couple of years old (about as long as 99% of them keep anything) but some of the older stuff over there is mental. An 06 Yamaha R6 has been 4500-5k sterling in UK dealers for the last 7 years!
    Better choice though and usually full of extras with a full main dealer service history (not that it means anything when they have 2k miles on them!)

Sonics2k wrote: »
    The disparity in prices is always a bit crazy.

I'm in the market for a new bike this year, so I'm checking out DoneDeal and so on for prices.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes?words=yamaha%20dragstar

On this list there's a 650cc going for more than an 1100cc, despite the the latter having a big engine, more extras and by looks of it, better looked after.

From what I can tell after looking, it looks like the prices of the entry level A class bikes have a higher price.

Bigger engine doesn't mean anything: of all the bikes in your link, I'd only be looking at that red 650 tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

fergus1001 wrote: »
    as the post says I have been keeping an eye out for a while now for an older bike to learn to ride on everywhere I look the prices are crazy relative to what you would pay for a new bike

case in point is the adv and enduro bikes you would be better off buying new and having warranty compared to buying the "one careful owner" "never dropped" bull I'm seeing

What people have them up for and what they will accept are different things.

Everyone seems to over price bikes, I was guilty of it selling my last bike, there's very few buyers and you have to drop the price substantially in some cases to sell. I sold me bike for 1/4 less than the value of it just to get rid.

So if someone has a bike up for 4.5 k and you offer 3.6k , it's not a stupid offer, people just overprice them in alot of cases

Goose81 wrote: »
    What people have them up for and what they will accept are different things.

Everyone seems to over price bikes, I was guilty of it selling my last bike, there's very few buyers and you have to drop the price substantially in some cases to sell. I sold me bike for 1/4 less than the value of it just to get rid.

So if someone has a bike up for 4.5 k and you offer 3.6k , it's not a stupid offer, people just overprice them in alot of cases

I should add, they aren't pricing them higher because they are mean. All someone has to go on it the value of other similar bikes as a judge but I would say the majority of bikes here are overpriced by a mile. When I was selling mine all I could use for a judge was other people's, which in reality turned out to be nearly a grand higher than what people would actually pay for it

Bike was a taty enough but grand 2007 gsxr 600 , I had it up for 4,500id last year and I ended up selling it for 3,800 so I laugh at some of the pieces of **** you see around for 2k which I wouldn't give 200 quid for

I'll be selling the Ducati soon and that will be a different experience so I'll write up on here how it goes. I'll sell it theoufh a shop though not having clowns coming to my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

Whatever about the bike price, the insurance is the killer

You'll get no sympathy from me. 1500 euro a year, is it higher than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Goose81 wrote:
    You'll get no sympathy from me. 1500 euro a year, is it higher than that

what are you riding ?

Well I just sold the SO's 2008 F650GS Twin on Sunday - I had no shortage of people on DD telling me my price (5250) was awol and low balling me numbers.

And no, it was was never dropped, and never out in the rain, and with a few nice accessories it's a good bike with only 9k on the clock. Factory lowered mean it isn't too common.

Got 5k for it, I'm happy, new owner is happy.

Compared to a car, that's rock-solid in terms of depreciation.

And this is the 3rd bike in 10 years for the SO that's gone that way. It's been a cheap decade.

I otoh bought a span new AT DCT last year and there's no way I'll get away as lightly come selling time.....but if don't but it new.....you can't buy it used..... 😊

Ode To The Motorist

Thats pretty decent, I guess good bikes will always make reasonable money, and if you can see that they have been cared for then they will sell.
    I really dislike dealing with Donedeal the amount of lowballers and last price buyers is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Slightly off-topic, but what's the story with vintage bikes? (as in 25-30 y.o.; I'm not talking about vintage vintage)

I've seen things like the old Yamaha RD350 (the blue-and-white LC model, before the power valve came out), lovingly restored/maintained and 'all original' I'll grant you, but still — a 30-year-old two-stroke... asking north of €2,500?

[Edit: here's a more extreme example, a 1989 YPVS completely rebuilt]

Obviously certain models will have a higher nostalgia/'collectability' value than others, but is there an appreciation factor for bikes generally, once they reach a certain age? (presuming they're in good nick/well kept, etc.) 25? 30 years? I've a 1989 Honda CB-1 400 that I might sell or swap later this year and I'm not sure whether to expect sweet fa for it, or to ask a bit high initially and see what happens; a fair few lads who've seen it over the years have said something like 'let me know first if you're ever selling it'.

Back on topic — another psychological factor I reckon might account for private sellers expecting unrealistic prices is that often the owner will have become a bit sentimentally attached, in a way that your average car driver probably doesn't (with exceptions of course). Bikers tend to 'love' their bike, and after a few years can't look at it in as detached a way as a buyer surveying the options available to them for the cash they want to spend.

Fellas like me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Something like an LC or Powervalve would be sought after purely for the "reliving lost youth" factor - people who owned one years ago or even just lusted after one but couldn't afford it

You see Honda 50s here and FZ1Es in the UK going for totally crazy money

Lots of unattractive, unloved tat came out in the 80s and it has to be said that Honda was responsible for most of it. You won't find anyone lusting after a Superdream or Pacific Coast - unless they're a bit unhinged

Early model Fireblades are going for silly money

I still have a GPz900R under a tarp - it's my pension plan :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Something like an LC or Powervalve would be sought after purely for the "reliving lost youth" factor - people who owned one years ago or even just lusted after one but couldn't afford it.
    Check.

I couldn't afford a Z900 when Mad Max came out (I was also only 15). :D

Now you can buy a 'tribute' one, hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I saw a lad recently selling a BMW LT100 for €5,600. It wasn't even in great condition, and had clearly been sitting idle for quite a long time.

Vintage stuff appeals to a certain demographic , guys in their 40s and 50s and it has sent RD and LC prices mad, plus most two stroke stuff as well. If its banned its better type of thing.
    I have seen RD500LC and RZ500 asking over 10k.
    Motorcycles are more affordable than cars and more easily stored as well so that adds a certain amount of practicality to ownership.
    The current café and scrambler trend won't last for ever either so they will be looking to move on to something different after every hipster has a retro style machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Insurance ??!?!

Bike Insurance in Ireland is the lowest of all of them. I think mines about 280 Euro per year. You should see my car / van insurance make your eyes water

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

...did someone call me unhinged? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

macplaxton wrote: »
    ...did someone call me unhinged? :pac:

Wrong thread i assume..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

listermint wrote:
    Wrong thread i assume..

maby he's selling a 00 transalp for 3500 and is unhinged ?

You won't find anyone lusting after a Superdream or Pacific Coast - unless they're a bit unhinged

:o

peckerhead wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but what's the story with vintage bikes? (as in 25-30 y.o.; I'm not talking about vintage vintage)

I've seen things like the old Yamaha RD350 (the blue-and-white LC model, before the power valve came out), lovingly restored/maintained and 'all original' I'll grant you, but still — a 30-year-old two-stroke... asking north of €2,500?

[Edit: here's a more extreme example, a 1989 YPVS completely rebuilt]

Obviously certain models will have a higher nostalgia/'collectability' value than others, but is there an appreciation factor for bikes generally, once they reach a certain age? (presuming they're in good nick/well kept, etc.) 25? 30 years? I've a 1989 Honda CB-1 400 that I might sell or swap later this year and I'm not sure whether to expect sweet fa for it, or to ask a bit high initially and see what happens; a fair few lads who've seen it over the years have said something like 'let me know first if you're ever selling it'.

Back on topic — another psychological factor I reckon might account for private sellers expecting unrealistic prices is that often the owner will have become a bit sentimentally attached, in a way that your average car driver probably doesn't (with exceptions of course). Bikers tend to 'love' their bike, and after a few years can't look at it in as detached a way as a buyer surveying the options available to them for the cash they want to spend.

Fellas like me! :P

€2500- it'd be fairly rough at that even.

Consider: old 50's, 60's Triumph's , BSA's and all that palaver, went from generation to generation and handed down, traded down, bodged, chopped...and many restored back to originals.

1970's and 1980's cheap & cheerful Jap bikes got.........thrashed, crashed ......and scrapped. Comparatively speaking, they had much shorter and rougher lives than the 'classics', and most ended up in the crusher. And even the factories dropped the ball on this: Honda have a crew trawling the world for examples of long-lost bikes they made as they kept nothing, and had no value on the 'heritage' of what they made.

Which means, when you go looking for a 1981 Jap bike.......theres s.f.a. around (that's any good anyway), and parts availability compared to a Triumph or Norton or BSA, which have a huge 'indy' parts market..........is brutal. Chrome mudgaurds for a 1970's Jap bike........ ? banana money.

And now the pool that's left, smaller, is worth more.

Good job I kept my RGV then :) 28yrs this year :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My old 05 blade that I sold five and a half years ago is on DoneDeal for sale for €1200 more than I sold it for!

macplaxton wrote: »
    :o

Difference between owning something and actually using it, and being willing to pay silly money for something which is basically going to be an ornament.

Life ain't always empty.

Well I pay for something, use it, then it breaks, then it becomes an ornament until I get round to fixing it.

I'm am more than slightly unhinged.

• Advertisement

That Tunnocks teacakes thing was genius :)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement