Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with iphone - Apple or eir

Options
  • 06-02-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

Quick question for more knowledgeable souls: Father-in-law got an iPhone 6 from eir, under a two-year contract, in October 2017. The phone will now work for a couple of screen taps and then becomes unresponsive until switched on and off with the side button. Obviously this is hugely frustrating.

I intend to head into an eir shop to see about a repair but should it be Apple or eir that I have the conversation with?

I know about the Sale of Goods Act etc. and - possibly answering my own question! - as his contract is with eir, they should be the first port of call and not let them fob me off to Apple??

If it matters, I am recorded on eir's systems as being able to deal with his account.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contract is with Eir, all contact should be via Eir but prepare to be massively frustrated along the way, and possibly hit a brick wall of "its over a year old, its out of warranty" immediately resulting in you having to resort to Small Claims.

Is it possible to do a factory reset in that semi-functional state (I don't have Apple devices here) and if so has it been done? Eir will probably ask that first, if they talk at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

L1011 wrote: »

Is it possible to do a factory reset in that semi-functional state (I don't have Apple devices here) and if so has it been done? Eir will probably ask that first, if they talk at all.

Yes did a full restore last night and the screen became unresponsive three times when trying to go through all the welcome screens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

deco72 wrote: »

Ha, what is that? In one column they're showing that they're aware of the law yet in the next they show that they don't care and only offer 1 year cover? :confused:

Either way, OP, as you know, contract of sale is with the retailer. As long as the item is not damaged by the user they need to offer one of the Rs. They can try to fob you off to Apple but that would be a waste of your time. If they don't comply, be ready to start SCC proceedings.

While I don't agree with Apple policies, if it were inside the year I'd probably advise that it'd be dealt with more quickly by contacting them but as you're a bit outside of the period just got to the shop (but you'll most likely end up having to escalate to HO)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Advertisement
Advertisement