Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the latest on 1.8m internal height rule?

Options
  • 04-01-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Recent owner of a VW T5 Transporter Campervan (was previously a commercial and was converted to Campervan) with a standard height roof. Looking to sort out insurance and options seem slim: Dolmen, Stuarts or Richardsons (Through Motorcaravan Club of Ireland).

Only through the MCC can I seem to be able to sort insurance after I jump through some hoops. The website is cluttered and dated and to be honest I'd rather just go straight through an insurer.

From reading on revenue it states:

"Primarily a caravan should provide mobile living accommodation where a person (of average height) can move around comfortably while standing."

I'm average height, I can move around comfortable while standing on my own to feet, so where is the stated 1.8m mentioned?

I know this has been covered on here before but it seems that the 1.8m law has come in and out of effect with wishy-washy responses to people regarding insurance.

I have read previously about people contacting Axa about underwriters and Dolmen eventually quoted on low roofed campers but its all very vague.

Does anybody have any up to date advice regarding campervan (below 1.8m) insurance?

I have my own car insured through Liberty so this is purely a second vehicle for travelling etc.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

From what I'm told.., and I've literally just finished converting a 'tin top' T5...

It's no longer a requirement for the REVENUE... (to sign off on a conversion).

It is 'near' impossible to insure one without joining the MCC. Which is my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

Hooked wrote: »
    From what I'm told.., and I've literally just finished converting a 'tin top' T5...

It's no longer a requirement for the REVENUE... (to sign off on a conversion).

It is 'near' impossible to insure one without joining the MCC. Which is my plan.

So basically,,, If they feel like signing off on the day or mood they are in ?
    Absolute b*ll*cks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No ..

The rules and regulations allow for campervans without having the 1.8m clearance. No problems there whatsoever. So you get your van classified no problem if you have:

- a cooker (single ring is enough)
    - a table (can be removable)
    - a bed (can be convertable into seats)
    - a storage compartment

This is EU regulation.

The problem is, that the insurances don't have to honor it in Ireland. It's the usual story, that there is no enforcement for them.

The reality is, that the only way to get insurance on a campervan under 1.8m inside clearance is either motortrade, a group policy or by becoming a member of the Motorcaravan Club of Ireland and let them inspect your conversion. If they deem it's fit for purpose, they will get you insurance without having the internal height.

Legally it's a campervan. But the insurances don't give a flying f***.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

andy t wrote: »
    So basically,,, If they feel like signing off on the day or mood they are in ?
    Absolute b*ll*cks

To be fair... once you follow the MCC rules, pay your fees, use their SQI.... you get your 'tin top' insured.

I, for one, think it's the opposite of bôlloćks... as it's the ONLY way I could get cover!

Advertisement