Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Landing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

King Mob wrote: »
    And I don't claim to be an expert, I can just see why the suggestion that "Santa Claus means aliens" is ridiculous and silly and a bit childish.

A double distraction, very good.
    Something about farts, turds or something? How silly and childish indeed, from you.

And again, direct avoidance of the big grown-ups question.

No problem at all, will ask again if you don't mind.

Am sure everyones intrigued at this stage, about the thoughts from the great all-knowing, non-god fearing, omnipresent one of the universe.

"Any thoughts 'at all' on the possibility of life outside of earth"?
    A quick 'maybe' might even suffice for the growing curious amongst us.

Look forward to your non-response, name-calling and further diversion, thanks in advance for the contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

A double distraction, very good.
    Something about farts, turds or something? How silly and childish indeed, from you.
    The astronauts talked about farting and about a turd floating in the capsule.
    That's simply a fact.

When I pointed this out, you suggested that this was also part of the secret code you've figured out.
    Not sure why you're whining about me drawing attention to how ridiculous that is.

So when they were referring to turds and farts, what were they actually referring to?
    Or is it the case they were actually referring to turds and farts?
    If so, then how do you know that that isn't part of the secret code, but santa Claus is?
    And again, direct avoidance of the big grown-ups question..
    So, what's more probable? Please answer directly and honestly.
    Giant silly conspiracy that lasts decades?
    Or
    Dude made a joke?
    Answer that question honestly and directly, then maybe I will address my beliefs in aliens.
    Otherwise, it's just you avoiding on topic questions with off topic rants.

But we both know what the answer is. And we both know why you won't answer it.

Answer that question honestly and directly, then maybe I will address my beliefs in aliens.

Have already addressed the question and stated it's:
    i) 'probable' that there was the facility for coded vocal messages. In '68 from space, vocal radio transmission was the only practical method of communication.

ii) And that's it's very 'possible' but not certain, that they may have seen something 'unexplained' (as which happens frequently with airline pilots here, who file public and/or confidential reports).

You on the other hand pre-conclude it's:
    i) 'impossible' that they would have seen anything unidentified,
    and ii) that would have been 'impossilbe' to report it, if they did.

Now by saying 'maybe' you will address your beliefs in the possibility of life outside of earth very likely means you won't. And this delay-avoidance of 'any expression of a view' on it is getting slightly awkward now. For you.

Question: "Any thoughts 'at all' on the possibility of life outside of earth"?

Have already addressed the question and stated it's:
    i) 'probable' that there was the facility for coded vocal messages. In '68 from space, vocal radio transmission was the only practical method of communication.

ii) And that's it's very 'possible' but not certain, that they may have seen something 'unexplained' (as which happens frequently with airline pilots here, who file public and/or confidential reports).

But that's not an answer to the question: Which is more likely?
    Try again.
    Which is more likely:
    1. A giant decades long conspiracy to cover up aliens that relies on a secret code that both obvious and easy to decipher.
    Or
    2. A guy made a joke about Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.

You have to indicate which of these two scenarios is most likely of the pair.
    So please answer by saying "I think X is more likely."
    I really can't hold you hand any more than this.

We'll leave aside your grossly dishonest misrepresentations of my position until after you've actually answered the question.

As presumed, classic repitition and diversion, from the avoidance handbook 101.

Question: "Any thoughts 'at all' on the possibility of life outside of earth"?
    Your answer: Won't answer (no-comment).

That alright, sure I have asked you this very same last year, and you stated you do actually believe in aliens.
    But you on the other hand, are a very keen athiest and deny the possibility of any god-like figures or even higher intelligence outside of earth.
    We'll leave aside your grossly dishonest misrepresentations of my position until after you've actually answered the question.

I really can't hold your hand any more than this, I've even answered your question for you, that you already previously answered.

ha ha Brilliant! :)

• Advertisement

As presumed, classic repitition and diversion, from the avoidance handbook 101.
    Lol, he says after dodge the question for the umpteenth time.

I am not going to address your off topic ranting as:
    1. It's off topic.
    2. It's bizarre.
    3. I don't see much fruit in doing so as you can't answer a simple direct question.

So try again, point to the option that is more likely:
    1. A giant decades long conspiracy to cover up aliens that relies on a secret code that both obvious and easy to decipher.
    Or
    2. A guy made a joke about Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.

Then maybe we can talk.
    Otherwise, I'm done.

I really can't hold your hand any more than this, I've even answered your question for you, that you already previously answered.

ha ha Brilliant! :)
    Cool beans.
    Where did i say any of this:
    Please link and quote where I said or indicated this.

Lol, he says after dodge the question for the umpteenth time..

I've already answered multiple times, here it is AGAIN:
    It's simply as likely as it isn't likely.

There is a reasonable chance they may have seen something unidentifed, and the only practical method of reporting it would be a vocal keyword, whether or not it's specifically the santa clause or another phrase isn't certain.

You answer to this same is:
    It's 'impossible' to have seen anything unusual;
    It's 'impossible' to report it even of they did.
    Lol, he says after dodge the question for the umpteenth time..
    I am not going to address your off topic ranting as:
    1. It's off topic. 2. It's bizarre. 3. I don't see much fruit in doing so as you can't answer a simple direct question.

We know the truth is that it's a conflict of interest for you.

That's ok, I'll anwser your questions, and my own questions, to you, on your behalf (i.e. you've already previously stated in other posts you believe in aliens).
    I'm done.

Seems so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Commander Data

Maybe someone dropped a Clanger!

I've already answered multiple times, here it is AGAIN:
    It's simply as likely as it isn't likely.
    So you are suggesting that both scenarios are equally likely?
    That's a new idea you have not suggested before. You have not given this answer before, so I'm not sure why you are claiming that you are giving it again.
    I'm also not sure how that gels with your original statement that the real explanation, that it was a joke, was not possible.

But you'll have to explain how you see the pair of scenarios as equally likely, when one is a bit more ridiculous than the other...

Honestly, I think it indicates your skewed sense of reality that a vast global conspiracy is as reasonable explanation as "it was a joke."
    Previously I thought you were just being outright dishonest.
    You answer to this same is:
    It's 'impossible' to have seen anything unusual;
    It's 'impossible' to report it even of they did.
    Cool, where did I say this?

• Advertisement

So you are suggesting that both scenarios are equally likely?
    That's a new idea you have not suggested before. You have not given this answer before, so I'm not sure why you are claiming that you are giving it again.
    I'm also not sure how that gels with your original statement that the real explanation, that it was a joke, was not possible.

But you'll have to explain how you see the pair of scenarios as equally likely, when one is a bit more ridiculous than the other...

Cool, where did I say this?

Cool, so I've never said it's a certaintly, have I?
    Show me where exactly I said this?

I said it's a possibility, and that in such an event a vocal radio transmission likely coded word(s) would have been the only probable and practical method to report.

So, down to business if I give it a 50:50 chance of them seeing something unidentified during their lenthy and distant trips from earth to high orbit and space itself.
    What would you put the figure at zero%, maybe 5%?

i.e. 5% likely : 95% unlikely ?

Bear in mind seeing anything they can't explain or 'unidentified' doesn't meen they were probed by little green men, does it now.
    Bear in mind there was several public reports of unidentified objects over Ireland last week from commercial pilots, it's not really that unusual.

Oh and you still aren't admitting to what you have already previously admitted, yes *you do believe in aliens*, that is correct is it not, you are still avoiding it.
    If it isn't do clarify....

There you have it folks, a keen non-god or higher intelligence believer, that does believe in aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Haven't bothered to read, but the full link address on mouse.hover indicates your suggesting some some random luckydip story, vaguely refrencing the moon. And from the world's favourite online taboild, vomited up by a journo student on unpaid work placement.

Uhh ok. It's the source of the story.

There you have it folks, a keen non-god or higher intelligence believer, that does believe in aliens.

What's a "non-god or higher intelligence believer"?

Dohnjoe wrote: »

What's a "non-god or higher intelligence believer"?
    An atheist apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

What's wrong with not believing in god but believing in the mathematical probability that Earth is not the only planet in the universe of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars which potentially have planetary systems that has life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There’s a diference in believing in life elsewhere and believing that life has travelled the whole way here and the only people with “evidence” are a bunch of randomers on youtube.
    These aliens have also masterd interstellar travel but governments on earth are stopping them from just saying hello.
    And depending on who you talk to, they are in it with them.

So for the time being I will remain wide open to the possibility of life elsewhere but will categorise UFO “experts” in the same category as bigfoot “experts”.

What's wrong with not believing in god but believing in the mathematical probability that Earth is not the only planet in the universe of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars which potentially have planetary systems that has life?

Can you define 'god' ?

Can you define 'god' ?

Why should I? My opinion on god(s)/creator/whatever is my own and I have no intention of defining it or justifying it to ANYONE. Just as I respect others' own beliefs and don't demand that they define their opinion.

Ipso wrote: »
    There’s a diference in believing in life elsewhere and believing that life has travelled the whole way here and the only people with “evidence” are a bunch of randomers on youtube.
    These aliens have also masterd interstellar travel but governments on earth are stopping them from just saying hello.
    And depending on who you talk to, they are in it with them.

So for the time being I will remain wide open to the possibility of life elsewhere but will categorise UFO “experts” in the same category as bigfoot “experts”.

I remember, when I was a kid, my brother used to collect a series of magazines called "The Unexplained". All kinds of strange phenomena in it from spontaneous human combustion to aliens etc. :) I was such a big believer when I was a kid. Hah.

So, yeah, I absolutely believe in extraterrestrial life. Mathematically it would seem highly unlikely there is none..... As for UFOs/visitors? Highly doubtful given what we believe we know about physics and distances involved. I mean, who knows? Tomorrow someone may make some tiny discovery that totally turns or image of physics and the universe on its head and may open up new ways of thinking that instantly expand our knowledge a hundred-fold.... But until then......

(I do believe we will discover concrete proof within my lifetime of alien life - be it microbes on Mars or some form of (Indecipherable) radio signal (Not a contact-type message, just a leak like our radio transmissions) or atmospheric analysis of extra-solar planets. I do not believe we will make contact. For me, that would be enough)

Why should I? My opinion on god(s)/creator/whatever is my own and I have no intention of defining it or justifying it to ANYONE. Just as I respect others' own beliefs and don't demand that they define their opinion.

Not your 'version' of god (who cares about random individual perspectives), but a 'universal' concept, something that the masses would consider a 'god', or god-like entity.

Seems a bit strange you and many others...
    "absolutely believe in extraterrestrial life"
    (Natural given the odds of probability).

But are very quick deny anything out there could ever be 'god-like' in comparison to mere humans.

Humans who in the last 100yrs (or so), have gone from being unable to fly - to space flight, instant global communications, embryo gene editing and are on the verge of a general class of artificial intelligence.

• Advertisement

Not your 'version' of god (who cares about random individual perspectives), but a 'universal' concept, something that the masses would consider a 'god', or god-like entity.

There have been over 2,800 different gods and deities, a portion with multiple interpretations. The whole thing is as subjective as people want it to be.
    Humans who in the last 100yrs (or so), have gone from being unable to fly - to space flight, instant global communications, embryo gene editing and are on the verge of a general class of artificial intelligence.

Indeed but interstellar travel is a mind-bogglingly massive leap, some would argue it's far bigger than e.g; wheel to smartphone. Magnitudes larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just because they weren't whooping and hollering at the press conference people put 2+2 together and come up with, well they obviously must have something to hide. These guys were ex military, trained to within an inch of their lives. Armstrong was infamous for how stoic and unemotional he was.

I remember watching one press conference and Armstrong coming across as very stoic as you say and almost depressed. It was odd. Yet, when you think about it, it would actually be suspicious if he was elated, whooping and hollering.

As an example, remember doing the Leaving Cert? Assuming we wanted to get the top results possible then since starting secondary school it was the ultimate goal. All that time, effort and study over many years all coalesced into what was effectively a week in June. You study, plan and dedicate and then after that one week is over, it's done. You've been so used to always studying, worrying, expending energy planning and then stressing and actually doing the exams you are then suddenly presented with the situation that no longer requires you to take tests, to study, plan or even think about the Leaving Cert anymore. While most will initially be ecstatic when it's finally over, you still have the established routines, habits and schedule as before. They didn't just disappear when you handed in your last paper. It's as if a mild form of depression envelopes you. It's a feeling like you still need to study for something. You see the same in any field of accomplishment e.g. the person training for months and months for a marathon, completing it and then being listless in the weeks after with no goal in mind anymore. There is no more marathon to train for, no more ultimate goal. The post (insert major goal achievement) blues it is labelled.

So scale it all the way up to test pilots training for years, training, planning on such a massive goal, in the public glare, getting to complete the ultimate test flight, become world famous and then when you come home it's all done. What else is there to do? Sit on company boards? Make money? Write a book?
    Anything they did thereafter would have come up short of having landed and walked on the moon.

It was literally the essence of coming back down to earth for all of the Apollo astronauts, their overriding attitude being how in the hell can I top that?
    If a Leaving Cert student can feel post-LC blues then imagine how they felt.

So when we see Armstrong et al sitting glumly in press conferences talking about Apollo, knowing that their future days are to be spent retelling the achievement and believing their best days are behind them then we shouldn't expect them to be ecstatic. It's this indifference and lack of cheer that feeds the moon hoaxers into exploiting their state of mind to imply they are lying/have something to hide/have guilty consciences etc. The reality is far more human.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see the Chinese just landed their probe on the dark side of the moon.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

Sending back pictures already.

I wonder will they get any photos of the giant alien space bases that are meant to be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see the Chinese just landed their probe on the dark side of the moon. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

Maybe send it on a road trip round to the sunny side and let us all see the LRV?
    Just to prove Steph Curry wrong :pac:

Advertisement