Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 20 – Brasil

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

If only Ricciardo had no penalty, it was a surprising pace from red bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else here experiencing a problem with the General discussion thread? In the forum it says the latest post was today but when you go into it it is from ''Skipper-G'' from yesterday. Very strange.
    Maybe its time to start next years one?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone else here experiencing a problem with the General discussion thread? In the forum it says the latest post was today but when you go into it it is from ''Skipper-G'' from yesterday. Very strange.

Working fine for me on the touch site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boards does this the odd time. What I've learned (could be wrong) is that it means its ticked over onto a new page with one post on that page that you can't get to. After a 2nd post on that new page you can then get to that page easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭Jeff2

If happens on other threads as well.
    Maybe Skipper infected it. :)

Clearing cache and data works sometimes or just post on it to bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

no he hasnt. ocon was ahead off the straight and ahead entering the 1st corner by a good half car length. max can say he didnt know he was there. as they take the turn and line up for the next turn max is a nose ahead. he then cuts across ocon

Ocon left front connects at Max right rear. Kimi and Bottas backed out when racing for position with Ric in the same corner.

Ocon had no business lunging up the inside. MAX got plenty of criticism for doing similar moves when racing for position

Ocon 100% at fault and he should take responsibility. MAX doesnt have to leave room for a back marker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ocon left front connects at Max right rear. Kimi and Bottas backed out when racing for position with Ric in the same corner.

Ocon had no business lunging up the inside. MAX got plenty of criticism for doing similar moves when racing for position

Ocon 100% at fault and he should take responsibility. MAX doesnt have to leave room for a back marker

kimi and bottas chose to pull back. and not try an overtake . ocon was well along side
    ocon is on the inside and following the track. max is beside him and a bit ahead. max moves over on ocon. where was ocon suposed to go. max made contact not ocon.
    that very clear from the videos

ocon didnt lunge. max cut him off

why shouldnt max leave room for someone trying to overtake him. dont run someone off the track

kimi and bottas chose to pull back. and not try an overtake . ocon was well along side
    ocon is on the inside and following the track. max is beside him and a bit ahead. max moves over on ocon. where was ocon suposed to go. max made contact not ocon.
    that very clear from the videos

ocon didnt lunge. max cut him off

why shouldnt max leave room for someone trying to overtake him. dont run someone off the track

Kimi and Bottas pulled back because they were smart enough to realise they werent going to get past.

Ocon is a clown. If you want to unlap yourself you have to do it cleanly. Max was in front by more then half a car length. On the racing line. Ocon has to back out.

This is a shambles

Ocon crashes into him and gets a 10 second stop/go

Max shoves him a few times afterwards and gets community service.

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1061734685800304640?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If happens on other threads as well.
    Maybe Skipper infected it. :)

Clearing cache and data works sometimes or just post on it to bump.

Was just thinking, is the glitch following one of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Harika wrote:
    A punch in the face is the least he should have gotten. Pushing was the polite way and far too politically correct

I remember once seeing a furious Nelson Piquet (Snr) trying to box the head off Salazar - I think his name was - after a similar type of incident to today's.

So FI policy is to not get involved with faster cars they arent racing with.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136625/force-india-shrugs-off-oconhamilton-complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

chicorytip wrote: »
    I remember once seeing a furious Nelson Piquet (Snr) trying to box the head off Salazar - I think his name was - after a similar type of incident to today's.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/xTBHrMqLD3o.
    Senna versus irvine just not on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What has been lost is the great performance of Leclerc, cause even after he drove the tyres longer than usual in Q2, he stayed on them for longer than average and finished best of the rest.

Also Hartley woke up and beat Gasly in the race, unfortunately for him without points in 11.

Also please everyone who now thinks Verstappens reaction was over the top. NEVER EVER claim that F1 drivers are too PR polished, finally something gets out and it gets beaten down.

Harika wrote: »
    Also Hartley woke up and beat Gasly in the race, unfortunately for him without points in 11.

Also please everyone who now thinks Verstappens reaction was over the top. NEVER EVER claim that F1 drivers are too PR polished, finally something gets out and it gets beaten down.

Ted race notebook says there was an issue in TR after the race over that too

Hamilton on pole
    Vettel win
    Max on podium
    Haas double Points finish

3 out of 4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Ted race notebook says there was an issue in TR after the race over that too

Gasly beats Hartley, in Red Bull's eyes to be expected.

Hartley beats Gasly, "Oh there was a problem with Pierre's car" :rolleyes:

Gasly beats Hartley, in Red Bull's eyes to be expected.

Hartley beats Gasly, "Oh there was a problem with Pierre's car" :rolleyes:

In all fairness, Gasly was long in front, until he was handed back in the last laps. He didn't mention anything in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Hamilton's assessment of the incident is the most balanced - Verstappen was the one who had most to lose, he should have been more careful when he saw the FI sail past him on the straight; Instead he suffered one of his typical "red mist" episodes and went to tussle with Ocon as if it was for position - he was actually taking a defensive line going into the Senna S, ffs...

As for the collision itself, well, it's Ocon...is anyone surprised? He's involved in these quite often and clearly doesn't know when to back off - the S being prime ground for "broadside torpedoing" if the car on the inside is ahead after the first corner, unless the one behind takes a step back. Esteban didn't...

More importantly, one has to hope this was just a freak incident and the fact it was Ocon rather than anyone else simply a random occurrence...this is the same guy who Mercedes candidly admitted giving "team orders" to let Hamilton pass in Monaco and who oddly "misses" blue flags when someone battling with a Mercedes tries to lap him. Last thing needed in F1 is a modern day Roland Asch (go look him up...Piquet Jnr. is an amateur, in comparison :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hamilton's assessment of the incident is the most balanced - Verstappen was the one who had most to lose, he should have been more careful when he saw the FI sail past him on the straight; Instead he suffered one of his typical "red mist" episodes and went to tussle with Ocon as if it was for position - he was actually taking a defensive line going into the Senna S, ffs...

As for the collision itself, well, it's Ocon...is anyone surprised? He's involved in these quite often and clearly doesn't know when to back off - the S being prime ground for "broadside torpedoing" if the car on the inside is ahead after the first corner, unless the one behind takes a step back. Esteban didn't...

More importantly, one has to hope this was just a freak incident and the fact it was Ocon rather than anyone else simply a random occurrence...this is the same guy who Mercedes candidly admitted giving "team orders" to let Hamilton pass in Monaco and who oddly "misses" blue flags when someone battling with a Mercedes tries to lap him. Last thing needed in F1 is a modern day Roland Asch (go look him up...Piquet Jnr. is an amateur, in comparison :D ).
    Rather fitting though that Hamilton defends the man who is almost certain to be his 2020 teammate.

Rather fitting though that Hamilton defends the man who is almost certain to be his 2020 teammate.

Indeed, but he's still right. The "final d1ck move" is on Ocon's part, but Max should have known better than to fight him off. Had Vettel been in Verstappen's place, everyone here would be saying " he should've avoided the situation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

What has been lost is the great performance of Leclerc, cause even after he drove the tyres longer than usual in Q2, he stayed on them for longer than average and finished best of the rest.

He's slipping under the radar a fair bit I think. I'm telling ya's, he's a dark horse for the title next year.

Inviere wrote: »
    He's slipping under the radar a fair bit I think. I'm telling ya's, he's a dark horse for the title next year.

It could be said his performances aren't a surprise anymore...his lap on the damp track in Q2 was quite something.

Sauber have also improved massively - from drop dead backmarkers to occasionally being "best of the rest", it's insane. On this trajectory, they might have the odd shot at a podium next season, more or less like (Not)Force India has had in the last few seasons.

Fun/mildly interesting/curious thing - Sauber showed up with the Alfa Romeo logo on the on-screen graphics in Melbourne, like so:
    Alfa-Sauber2.jpg

They reverted to Sauber's logo from next race on - I always wondered if that was about being at the back of the field...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Completely agree, I suspect he will surprise all those who suggested it was too soon for him at Ferrari

skipper_G wrote: »
    Completely agree, I suspect he will surprise all those who suggested it was too soon for him at Ferrari

I think he'll be a bigger worry for Lewis at this point in time. Right now, Lewis is familiar with Seb, knows where he stands etc...Charles will, I have a feeling, come right in and start lighting fires.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thing is, it depends where Ferrari put their allegiance. Do they stick with Better for another year or 2, or ultimately, let him run his contract out and invest more into LeClerc

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Thing is, it depends where Ferrari put their allegiance. Do they stick with Better for another year or 2, or ultimately, let him run his contract out and invest more into LeClerc

I would imagine that'll depend almost entirely on the results of the first two or three races. It'd be very odd seeing Seb having to fight a team mate, his last outing didn't go too well in that regard. I do wonder where Seb will go after Ferrari, if anywhere at all?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I would imagine that'll depend almost entirely on the results of the first two or three races. It'd be very odd seeing Seb having to fight a team mate, his last outing didn't go too well in that regard. I do wonder where Seb will go after Ferrari, if anywhere at all?

I won't be surprised if him and Hamilton swap somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think he'll be a bigger worry for Lewis at this point in time. Right now, Lewis is familiar with Seb, knows where he stands etc...Charles will, I have a feeling, come right in and start lighting fires.

Maybe but Lewis has something that Leclerc has not got that much of yet which is experience and lots of it. Lewis has had good years and then the bad, tough years when he was struggling and constantly crashing into Massa and others while watching Vettel pick up one WDC after another. He said in an interview I read recently that the 2007 him would never have been able to drive like he has this season and win like he has. Something along them lines.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

...Lewis...constantly crashing into Massa...

I'm in a rotten mood having had to go to the office early this morning (early mornings p1ss me off royally...long story), yet this...:D:D:D

Those were the times...get the popcorn out anytime these two met on track :P

if ocon and max hadnt crashed and ocon was ahead coming out of that bend . at what point would the blue flags start coming out. would max have to fall back and then go to overtake a back marker

if ocon and max hadnt crashed and ocon was ahead coming out of that bend . at what point would the blue flags start coming out. would max have to fall back and then go to overtake a back marker

There is a common sense approach here. As long as he is heading away from him, he won't get penalised. As soon as Max then catches him again he would have to let him by.

There is a common sense approach here. As long as he is heading away from him, he won't get penalised. As soon as Max then catches him again he would have to let him by.

i think thats the only way.
    with that merc engine ocon would be fairly fast on the straighter bits. it could stay very close for a good while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ocon was faster at that point, so there's no reason why he would have to slow down to let a slower Max pass him immediately. Different a few laps later when Ocon's tyres would have lost a bit.

i think it would be fairly close for a few laps. ocon would have it in a straight line but max would be faster around the bends

• Advertisement

Yep - in the past we saw similar scenarios where a lead car was 2-3 seconds behind a backmarker but not making any gains, and there weren't penalties or such. Latest example was Raikkonen following some backmarkers in the last few laps at Austin.

That said, I so much preferred the older times when backmarkers were not meant to "vaporize" out of the track to let leaders pass. Dealing with slower cars was a proper skill drivers needed to have.

Sure enough they were different times, when the leader would approach backmarkers with a 150+ HP advandage thanks to their V10 or V12 and the backmarker ran 30 years old Cosworth V8s, and there'd be a 5-6 secods per lap pace difference. Today, with lapped cars running the same PUs as the leaders and a lap delta of 2ish seconds, it'd be a completely different story.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yep - in the past we saw similar scenarios where a lead car was 2-3 seconds behind a backmarker but not making any gains, and there weren't penalties or such. Latest example was Raikkonen following some backmarkers in the last few laps at Austin.

That said, I so much preferred the older times when backmarkers were not meant to "vaporize" out of the track to let leaders pass. Dealing with slower cars was a proper skill drivers needed to have.

I remember Saubers Norberto Fontana in Jerez 1997 who let Schumacher past easily and then blocked Villeneuve on a single word by Jean Todt "Engine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Speaking of orders Gasly apparently ignored the message to let Hartley pass him for SIX laps.

He'll be very quickly getting the Kvyat dropdoor back to TR if he pulls those stunts on Verstappen next year.

Ocon was faster at that point, so there's no reason why he would have to slow down to let a slower Max pass him immediately. Different a few laps later when Ocon's tyres would have lost a bit.

Max would have DRS out of turn 2 tho

Advertisement