Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student studying Medicine at UCC

Options
  • 02-03-2011 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I hope you might be able to give me some advice and guidance:

I am a mature student (30ish ;)) and have applied to UCC for a place on the undergrad medicine course 2011. I sat the HPAT last week. I'm just wondering what happens now??? As in, when will I hear if I got an interview or not, what will the interview be like, etc. I heard that they can offer you a place without an interview, is that true??

I would really appreciate any responce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

how did your application go have u got an intervoew? i got my invite to ucc interview yest for next week. the nerves..
    :(:(
    spacecat wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I hope you might be able to give me some advice and guidance:

I am a mature student (30ish ;)) and have applied to UCC for a place on the undergrad medicine course 2011. I sat the HPAT last week. I'm just wondering what happens now??? As in, when will I hear if I got an interview or not, what will the interview be like, etc. I heard that they can offer you a place without an interview, is that true??

I would really appreciate any responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

how did your application go have u got an intervoew? i got my invite to ucc interview yest for next week. the nerves..
    :(:(

Ohh, well done!!!! I have heard nothing,sob sob. I might give them a ring tomz...after the postman has been.
    I thought my application was fine, maybe I fluffed my HPAT.

Do you know anything about the interview, as in the style of it? Gosh, you must be over the moon!!!! Well done. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

less of the sad faces ultimatehero! That's great news. :)

I posted some interview tips in here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Hopefully someone can answer question spacecat. Don't know myself.

Ya im happy to have gotten the interview but its not like i have been offered the place or anything yet so ill take it one step at a time. I havent a clue about the interview honestly. all i know is that i think they pick questions from your personal statement. If i get the place i can def help you with your application next year if your still interested in a place there. not that im an expert or anything but i could try and share my experience! keep in touch!

ultimatehero
    Ohh, well done!!!! I have heard nothing,sob sob. I might give them a ring tomz...after the postman has been.
    I thought my application was fine, maybe I fluffed my HPAT.

Do you know anything about the interview, as in the style of it? Gosh, you must be over the moon!!!! Well done. :D:D

Thank you Larianne! its just my interview technique wouldnt be the best - self confidence and all that. i dont want to be digging holes for myself either. im not sure if seeing an interview coach would be of help.. thank you for your help it is very much appreciated hopefully it will improve my approach to interview! So nervous its frightening:( imagining how nervous id be feel dealing real patients:eek: but i have to get that far first:cool:
    Larianne wrote: »

I posted some interview tips in here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Advertisement

Hey, thank you for the link....I did come across your link a while back and thought it was great :). I will have a read again.

Ultimatehero...if your invited for an interview then they want to offer you a place. You just have to should them on the day you are what you say you are in your CAO application. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thank you Larianne! its just my interview technique wouldnt be the best - self confidence and all that. i dont want to be digging holes for myself either. im not sure if seeing an interview coach would be of help.. thank you for your help it is very much appreciated hopefully it will improve my approach to interview! So nervous its frightening:( imagining how nervous id be feel dealing real patients:eek: but i have to get that far first:cool:

You definitely need to be confident in what you are saying in the interview.

I was a nervous wreck in my interview first time round... I knew I made a balls of it as soon as I left the building. My poor Dad had to put up with me sobbing in the car all the way home. :o

BUT! I got in the following year as I was well prepared.. Know what the course is about inside out - know about the difficult subjects, the long hours, the shorter holidays, placements etc. Mention any open days you've gone to, any students you've talked to so they know you have an understanding of what the course involves.

You also need to show them you are capable of the workload of the course. Let them know how you deal with working to deadlines and problem solving.. How you would approach not understanding a certain topic - how would you overcome this?? (I was asked that question in UL).

You have to be prepared for any question they may ask you.

You definitely need to be confident in what you are saying in the interview.

I was a nervous wreck in my interview first time round... I knew I made a balls of it as soon as I left the building. My poor Dad had to put up with me sobbing in the car all the way home. :o

BUT! I got in the following year as I was well prepared.. Know what the course is about inside out - know about the difficult subjects, the long hours, the shorter holidays, placements etc. Mention any open days you've gone to, any students you've talked to so they know you have an understanding of what the course involves.

You also need to show them you are capable of the workload of the course. Let them know how you deal with working to deadlines and
    problem solving.. How you would approach not understanding a certain topic - how would you overcome this?? (I was asked that question in UL).

You have to be prepared for any question they may ask you.

Hey Larianne,
    I hope you don't mind me asking you for some advice but looking at your responses on this and other links you are a pretty amazing person!!!!!! :)

I didn't secure an interview at UCC for Med, :(. I didn't get enought points for my application. Now, I'm wondering, would my leaving cert (or lack of) have played a major role in not getting short-listed?? You see I never sat my LC, but that being over 20 years ago I didn't think it would matter.

I am thining of going back to do my LC in Sep, it has always haunted me,ha.
    Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Hey Larianne,
    I hope you don't mind me asking you for some advice but looking at your responses on this and other links you are a pretty amazing person!!!!!! :)

I didn't secure an interview at UCC for Med, :(. I didn't get enought points for my application. Now, I'm wondering, would my leaving cert (or lack of) have played a major role in not getting short-listed?? You see I never sat my LC, but that being over 20 years ago I didn't think it would matter.

I am thining of going back to do my LC in Sep, it has always haunted me,ha.
    Thanks x

I’d love to know how you got on. Did you get into Med without a LC or did you go back and do the LC? I hope that there was a happy ending!

I’d love to know how you got on. Did you get into Med without a LC or did you go back and do the LC? I hope that there was a happy ending!

Hi Iscreankone,

Did I live 'happy ever after'? Well......I graduated as a Doctor last June :) At present I am working as an Intern. I still pinch myself every day making sure this is not all a dream. And no, I never went back and did my LC. I guess pure determination and grit paid off :) xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Hi Iscreankone,

Did I live 'happy ever after'? Well......I graduated as a Doctor last June :) At present I am working as an Intern. I still pinch myself every day making sure this is not all a dream. And no, I never went back and did my LC. I guess pure determination and grit paid off :) xxx

Go you, Dr. Spacecat - Congrats!!!

Advertisement