Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just smoked my last I hope

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

20 years ago I tried hypnosis. Stayed off cigarettes for 8 months. Then had "just the one".
    6 years ago I tried Champix. Stayed off cigarettes for 19 months. Had another "just the one".
    With both of these attempts I found it reasonably easy to stop smoking, and to stay stopped, for a while.
    5 days ago I tried cold turkey. It has been absolutely hellish. But I haven't smoked. And I won't smoke today. And tomorrow I will say that again. I am 53 years old and have been a smoker for almost 40 years, and I have never known discomfort like the last few days (and I've given birth twice). This time it hurts a lot, more than a lot, but it actually feels like I'm winning.
    Wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Berlin wrote: »
    20 years ago I tried hypnosis. Stayed off cigarettes for 8 months. Then had "just the one".
    6 years ago I tried Champix. Stayed off cigarettes for 19 months. Had another "just the one".
    With both of these attempts I found it reasonably easy to stop smoking, and to stay stopped, for a while.
    5 days ago I tried cold turkey. It has been absolutely hellish. But I haven't smoked. And I won't smoke today. And tomorrow I will say that again. I am 53 years old and have been a smoker for almost 40 years, and I have never known discomfort like the last few days (and I've given birth twice). This time it hurts a lot, more than a lot, but it actually feels like I'm winning.
    Wish me luck!

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

5 days ? Well done. No alcohol this weekend or your willpower will falter. Never ever forget what you just went through.

Agreed Cordangan. It was alcohol that got me to let my guard down on the last two attempts. Luckily, I rarely drink at all these days. Feeling a little less stressed this morning. Still determined. Taking my life back, one day at a time. Thanks for this thread - it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AOIFERW

For me..I read 'the easy-way to stop smoking'...I went cold turkey after reading it and I'm a happy non-smoker for over a year! Before that I smoked way too much and tried everything to herbal cigarettes to stupid little things like I'll have a coffee instead! :) Will never go back as the thought of having to try to quit again...sickening! So, to anyone struggling now...it's only for a little while and then you're free!

10 Days now. Definitely getting easier. Fewer and fewer urges to smoke, and I know they will pass, so they don't scare me. Feeling pretty confident about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

This is my second day now off them. Not using a thing, just cold turkey. I had been smoking for about 20 a day for about 17 years. Never tried it before and I feel good, well good enough.

I feel like today was a lot harder then yesterday. Although I slept like ****e last night, so I think I am more cranky for not sleeping right! But really do feel like I want one more than ever, but being strong!

Good luck Cute Cow. Stay strong. I can already feel the benefits, after only 11 days. It's tough but it gets easier - and if I can do it, anyone can!

Starting today, 40 years smoking. Feel its time to quit smoke 20 a day, so here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

cute_cow wrote: »
    This is my second day now off them. Not using a thing, just cold turkey. I had been smoking for about 20 a day for about 17 years. Never tried it before and I feel good, well good enough.

I feel like today was a lot harder then yesterday. Although I slept like ****e last night, so I think I am more cranky for not sleeping right! But really do feel like I want one more than ever, but being strong!

Tell yourself the following ( it's the truth) - as bad as you feel now and as tough as the last 36 or so hours have been ONE cigarette will within an hour of smoking it make the craving worse and set you backto whwhere you were 36 hours ago. You'll have another 36 hours of craving aswell.

Every hour is one hour of craving less and the severity of the cravings will get less. Anyway you craved when you did smoke - that's why you smoked X of the things every day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

cordangan wrote: »
    just smoked my last and bought the Nicorette. it's always easy to say I am quitting when the nicotine level is full but I am going to try. I will let ye know day by day whether I pass or fail

I'm off hem 6 years, there no fail, just keep trying, to me 7 attempts

On day four, have cravings but got over them so far, much easier than I imagined. Early days yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

red bull wrote: »
    On day four, have cravings but got over them so far, much easier than I imagined. Early days yet

Well done! It get's easier every day that passes. 6th day here, and first weekend without them, and I am doing ok.
    Keep it up, it will be so worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Patches are the way to go

Doing well, cold turkey day 5

• Registered Users Posts: 8 .Magneto.

Quitting cold turkey myself
    sick of having to smoke I don't even enjoy it anymore if I even ever did

Will see how it goes am thinking about maybe an e cigarette also

Day 17 - I'm down to 10 chocolate biscuits per day, but I still haven't smoked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lostsheep120

Stick at it, think of all the money you'll save, more energy and how alive and healthy you'll feel when you're all cigarette free. You will also feel a great sense of freedom, you used to be a slave to them - now you're breaking free from the shackles!

40 days done, feel no better maybe it takes time after so many years smoking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Day one over, off to bed, tbh
    didnt even think about it, as usually I dont smoke
    unless I have wine. So no wine for the next few weeks.
    Have stopped and started so many times now.
    Im 50 so really want this to be my last attempt.
    Day 3 is the killer for me, but we will see.
    good luck to all trying.

day 2 starting off, woke thinking about cigarettes
    which is maybe all in my mind, as i never smoked before 8pm
    no matter what the circumstances, so it must be mind over matter.
    Kept waking last night, but maybe that was because no glass of wine before bed.

How did today go Dolly
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

Day 17 for me with the patches. So far so good. I originally gave up 10 days prior to this but slipped up twice...first on day 4 when I received worrying news about family members health..gave up next day again but 4 days later had a few drinks and slipped up again. In a way it was a good education slipping up as I know now I must avoid alcohol if I can and also I didn't feel any better about the news after I smoked. So when things are tough remind myself that that one cigarette will not make me feel better but worse. The patches are working well for me ( I actually forgot to change my patch this morning ,only remembered at 8pm). I was eating a lot of crisps in first 10 days and as a result gained 3.5 lbs, couldn't continue so now instead I'm eating raw nuts, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. Try this if you are junk eating, I actually enjoy them more. Another thing which is helping was setting my self time goals...1 hour..then 2...then 4.. 1 day, 2 days, etc.. now I'm over the 2 week Mark going for 3 weeks...I do not want to have to start at 0 again. My partner also smokes and for first week or so he continued smoking in the house in front of me... Torture..worst part yet. But he is on board now and doesn't smoke in front of me..and keeps his pack hidden from me which is a massive help. Try getting family and friends on board if you can. Best of luck to all you fellow quiters, keep it up, we can do this.

Just wondering how everyone is doing, especially dollyk. I'm also the wrong side of 50, and have a long smoking history. But I've been smoke free for more than two months now, and feel great. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done - I don't want to kid anyone that it's easy - but it was worth it. No going back now! Oh, and I've also kicked my chocolate biscuit habit, which got me through the worst days.

Berlin wrote: »
    Just wondering how everyone is doing, especially dollyk. I'm also the wrong side of 50, and have a long smoking history. But I've been smoke free for more than two months now, and feel great. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done - I don't want to kid anyone that it's easy - but it was worth it. No going back now! Oh, and I've also kicked my chocolate biscuit habit, which got me through the worst days.

Well are you still off the fags?

A year off them,put on a lot of weight. Have the weight under control now. Feel much better

• Advertisement

Advertisement