Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip hazard liability - charging PHEV

Options
  • 17-10-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hello,

I live in a ground floor apartment and I am looking to purchase a new (used) car soon. I am looking at a plug in hybrid which benefits from cheap electricity as a substitute for fuel.

If I lead a wire from my ground floor apartment window into the car parked on the street but make sure I take every precaution to prevent a potential pedestrian from tripping over the wire (that is installing/placing anti trip cover) but the pedestrian trips, could I be liable for any damage caused?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Your management company will nip that in the bud fairly quickly. You don't own the path so have no right to place anything on or over it.

Better off to speak to them about the possibility of installing communal chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Caranica wrote: »
    Your management company will nip that in the bud fairly quickly. You don't own the path so have no right to place anything on or over it.

Better off to speak to them about the possibility of installing communal chargers.

Grand thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

A guy near me does it for a bmw 330e but it really doesn't look well at all. I walk the dog past it all the time and I'm not going to act the maggot and trip over it but I really worry for the guy that somebody will.

A guy near me does it for a bmw 330e but it really doesn't look well at all. I walk the dog past it all the time and I'm not going to act the maggot and trip over it but I really worry for the guy that somebody will.

Yeah the claim culture is strong nowadays you have to be really careful. I guess I'm just gonna go for the filthy diesel so!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm surprised that our litigious people haven't discovered this cash cow yet. Every car has a cable hanging out of it that in any industrial setting would be a big no no as a trip hazard yet people are doing it outside their own homes without knowing the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah, don't run power cables across the public footpath and leave them unattended. This isn't rocket science.

It's not "claim culture" that should stop you doing this this so much as a minimal sense of basic personal responsiblity.

The conclusion from this; don't buy an EV if you don't have somewhere to charge it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

they are bringing out wireless charging
    April 1st 2021

you put a charging box in your house window
    and the other box in your car and charge it wirelessly it will cost about 200 euro for the 2 charging boxs

salamiii wrote: »
    April 1st 2021

and the other box in your car and charge it wirelessly it will cost about 200 euro for the 2 charging boxs
    Wireless charging (when rolled out) will require the two boxes - plus a ground-based unit like an induction pad that the car parks over. There's a conventional power supply to the induction pad.

Which means you won't really be able to do it in the street outside your house. You'll need to do it on your own premises or - if they are available - in public places with the necessary plant installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

salamiii wrote: »
    April 1st 2021

Sounds great, if you live on a street and have no driveway for offstreet parking.

But what happens when someone with a pacemaker walks down your street and passes between the gadget in the window and the car parked outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

coylemj wrote: »
    Sounds great, if you live on a street and have no driveway for offstreet parking.

But what happens when someone with a pacemaker walks down your street and passes between the gadget in the window and the car parked outside?
    Could stop their heart but they'll have recovered by April 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peregrinus wrote: »

The conclusion from this; don't buy an EV if you don't have somewhere to charge it.

While not forgetting your responsibility to guests on your property and the consequences of a trip hazard from a cable trailing across the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Wireless charging (when rolled out) will require the two boxes - plus a ground-based unit like an induction pad that the car parks over. There's a conventional power supply to the induction pad.

Which means you won't really be able to do it in the street outside your house. You'll need to do it on your own premises or - if they are available - in public places with the necessary plant installed.

I don't think salamiii was entirely serious. Check the roll out date. :D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't think salamiii was entirely serious. Check the roll out date. :D
    Oh, I spotted that. But wireless charging will be a thing before too long. There's a plan in Norway to install the necessary equipment at taxi ranks, to faciliate the conversion of the national taxi fleet to electrical power.

But I don't see that it has huge attractions for home charging; a cable is generally manageable at home, and the expense of installing and wiring in an induction pad is probably not going to be warranted.

Yeah, don't run power cables across the public footpath and leave them unattended. This isn't rocket science.

It's not "claim culture" that should stop you doing this this so much as a minimal sense of basic personal responsiblity.

I wasn't going to but thanks anyway.

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    I wasn't going to but thanks anyway.
    Glad to hear it. In my defence, your OP did suggest that you were contemplating doing precisely this.

Glad to hear it. In my defence, your OP did suggest that you were contemplating doing precisely this.

Don't even have the car yet. It was purely to see where I would stand from a legal point of view. If I wanted to do it I'd have done it without even asking here.

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    Don't even have the car yet. It was purely to see where I would stand from a legal point of view. If I wanted to do it I'd have done it without even asking here.
    So you're only interested in the legal consequences of things that you don't want to do, but not in the legal consequences of the things you do want to do?

Have a taste for living dangerously, do you? ;)

So you're only interested in the legal consequences of things that you don't want to do, but not in the legal consequences of the things you do want to do?

Have a taste for living dangerously, do you? ;)

Living on the edge ;)

Advertisement