Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming deductions on employment income

Options
  • 16-10-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

My accountant has told me that 'Unfortunately you cannot claim any deductions as it is employment income, and such expenses are only allowable against trading income as far as I know.'

I own a company in the United States but run it in Ireland and pay taxes here. I would like clarification on the above if possible please?

My partner runs the business from the UK and is allowed deductions in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

You are receiving a directors salary from the US company?
    Is the company not claiming the expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred for you carrying out your duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

marizpan wrote: »
    You are receiving a directors salary from the US company?
    Is the company not claiming the expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred for you carrying out your duties?

Yes, I receive dividends/salary throughout the year.

The company doesn't incur stuff like office equipment, Irish accountancy fee.

theglobe wrote: »

Then what exactly are you thinking of deducting?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is something off about your whole situation... perhaps yo need to rephrase the question.

If the company has nothing to do economically with Ireland, then one would expect you receive a salary and dividends from the company, plus you are reimbursed for your out of pocket expenses like other employees and the company could supply you with home office equipment like many others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Jim2007 wrote: »

There is something off about your whole situation... perhaps yo need to rephrase the question.

If the company has nothing to do economically with Ireland, then one would expect you receive a salary and dividends from the company, plus you are reimbursed for your out of pocket expenses like other employees and the company could supply you with home office equipment like many others do.

I am not actually reimbursed for out of pocket expenses through the company, I generally put stuff like office chairs on my personal card. Should I just buy everything through the company going forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I am not actually reimbursed for out of pocket expenses through the company, I generally put stuff like office chairs on my personal card. Should I just buy everything through the company going forward?

The scenario isnt completely clear to me TBH, but in most cases that would be sensible.

You should talk to your accountant.

Possibly a case of client expectation and accountants scope of work not being aligned. - you might need some advice on how to efficiently manage your expenses. This possibly isn’t covered (I would guess) if they are purely filing your tax returns based on the info you provide.

Again, talk to your accountant.

Advertisement