Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shot fired at Gardai in Cork

Options
  • 04-07-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Thoughts with the injured member and all involved in this incident

A 21-year-old man has been arrested for questioning after shooting at gardaí, injuring a uniformed officer in Cork city before being pursued along the main Cork-Dublin motorway, where he again shot at officers before he was tasered and apprehended.

The incident appears to have been triggered by a domestic incident on Military Road on Cork’s northside at about 11.40pm on Friday night, when the man fired a number of shots from a handgun at his estranged partner’s flat before gardaí arrived at the scene.

The man then fired a number of shots at uniformed officers who took cover behind a parked car, but one officer received a minor graze wound to the arm before the man jumped into his former partner’s car and took off at speed in the direction of Glanmire.

The man made his way to the main Cork-Dublin N8 motorway, pursued by members of the Armed Support Unit from Cork, and he rammed through the Toll Plaza at speed before the North Cork Roads Policing Unit deployed a stinger device to try and bring the car to a halt.

The stinger device successfully punctured the four tyres on the man’s car but he continued driving on his wheel rims for another 3km before he crashed into the central median and exited the vehicle and began shooting at members of the ASU.

Members of the ASU returned fire, hitting the vehicle a number of times before the man dropped his gun and began running up the road away from the officers who successfully tasered him on the roadway at Curraghprevin between Rathcormac and Fermoy.

Members of the ASU handcuffed and arrested him and conveyed him to Fermoy Garda Station where he is currently detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act which allows gardaí hold suspects for up to three days.

Irishtimes.ie source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Excellent result for AGS. You'd have to say the culprit would be dead now in many other countries around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

What a loose canon to carry on like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No deaths is an amazing outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

What a t1t, hope he "falls down the stairs" in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Excellent result for AGS. You'd have to say the culprit would be dead now in many other countries around the world.

Yep and rightly so but god forbid the Scumbag would be shot as the cop would be under investigation for year's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The should have killed that piece of scum.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

sparrowcar wrote: »

Absolutely and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Hard to understand why so many, presumably Irish, posters on boards have a hard on for police brutality considering the recent history of it in the North.

I'm guessing in reality, the "falling down stairs" or "should have shot him dead" crowd are all for it while at the same time would demand their own civil rights be protected.

Hypocrites.

circadian wrote: »
    Hard to understand why so many, presumably Irish, posters on boards have a hard on for police brutality considering the recent history of it in the North.

I'm guessing in reality, the "falling down stairs" or "should have shot him dead" crowd are all for it while at the same time would demand their own civil rights be protected.

Hypocrites.

As a law abiding citizen who's never been arrested, yes I would like my civil rights protected against useless people like this.
    Fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

F***er will probably be out on bail in no time.

• Advertisement

As a law abiding citizen who's never been arrested, yes I would like my civil rights protected against useless people like this.
    Fcuk him.

Yet you hope he "falls down the stairs" in the station which clearly means being pushed and maybe kicked around and is a breach of their civil rights.

Yet you hope he "falls down the stairs" in the station which clearly means being pushed and maybe kicked around and is a breach of their civil rights.

Exactly.
    As I said, fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Right outside the m8 tollbooth too. Feel sorry for anybody who was caught up in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hypocrites.

If I was a guard and being shot at I'd shoot the prick, probably between the eye's if my life depended on whether it's me or him...

I'd have no guilty conscience either, because a trigger happy prick like that would take anyone out.

Nothing worse than a cuck with a hard on for bellends going postal on society.

Do you support violence ?

What about civilians rights, for the love of all our Pagan god's, what are you on about ?

Are you trying to do poster's thinking for them,so like all the looney tunes out there you suspect we all want this piece of sHi T kicked down a stairs..

Where's your proof for your assumptions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

nthclare wrote: »
    If I was a guard and being shot at I'd shoot the prick, probably between the eye's if my life depended on whether it's me or him...

I'd have no guilty conscience either, because a trigger happy prick like that would take anyone out.

Sad to see this is the standard of comment on boards.ie these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

sweet_trip wrote: »

Not ideal but no worse that the people who will try to blame society for his ‘disadvantaged’ upbringing. Then claim he can be rehabilitated.

sweet_trip wrote: »

Thanks for the support, I know they meant well.
    But most people get a bit defensive or offensive now and again.

It's when one takes the highest moral ground and gets a sneaky kick in and runs off is the problem....

Honesty and humility in our character defects and shortcomings is better than never being wrong :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

They need an easier way to stop evading cars

Grappler Police Bumper Promo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Augme

Ah the internet hard man talking about other people being cuck's. The irony of it all. :D

We all know you'd be ****ting your pants if you were involved in a incident like the above so stop giving it the Billy big bollox routine. It's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

I grew up in the Bogside at the height of the troubles, I've seen enough violence to last multiple lifetimes. Of course I don't support it. I've also seen what having one set of rules for those who believe they are righteous and another set for those who they deem to be not righteous does.

I'd well imagine anyone posting this kind of crap is either a troll or has lived a very sheltered life and doesn't understand the slippery slope this type of behaviour leads to.

I don't even understand how I'm a cuck, how does that even come into play here? Do you even understand what a cuck is or are you just spending too much time on Reddit and picking up nonsensical insults?

What about civilians rights, for the love of all our Pagan god's, what are you on about ?

Are you trying to do poster's thinking for them,so like all the looney tunes out there you suspect we all want this piece of sHi T kicked down a stairs..

Where's your proof for your assumptions ?

The proof is in the comments made, literally. It's not even thinly vieled and to even attempt to claim otherwise is arguing in bad faith.

The law applies to all equally. We all have the same rights regardless of being law abiding or not. To suggest that committing a crime somehow means you are stripped of your rights, before a trial no less, is a dangerous mindset. The fact that people can't see this is worrying.

I will agree that our justice system requires an overhaul.

Augme wrote: »
    Ah the internet hard man talking about other people being cuck's. The irony of it all. :D

We all know you'd be ****ting your pants if you were involved in a incident like the above so stop giving it the Billy big bollox routine. It's embarrassing.

IF it's embarrassing, you've some serious thinking to do.
    You and your Billy big bollox routine trying to validate your momentary hero status on board's.
    My hat is off to you.
    Obviously you've feelings and an empath, it's embarrassing for Thor's sake don't be getting embarrassed on my account.

I'm no hard man that's for sure, fire away tell everyone why you suggest I'm an internet hard man ???

Are you looking back every 3 minutes to see how many thanks you've got ?
    I gave you a thanks just to top you up :)

The proof is in the comments made, literally. It's not even thinly vieled and to even attempt to claim otherwise is arguing in bad faith.

The law applies to all equally. We all have the same rights regardless of being law abiding or not. To suggest that committing a crime somehow means you are stripped of your rights, before a trial no less, is a dangerous mindset. The fact that people can't see this is worrying.

I think the whole system requires an overhaul, there's scrotes everywhere theses days, it's even more prevalent in some village's up my way.

Young chaps with charge sheets mounting up every month, and doing no time for i.

I think if someone commits a crime and are caught red handed or on camera, there should be no trial.
    It'll cut out all the time wastage and they should be locked up for everyone's safety.

It's different if it's hard to prove a crime has been committed, then one needs a fair trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

They need an easier way to stop evading cars

Grappler Police Bumper Promo

I am trying to picture a standard patrol Hyundai car, most especially one of those new Kona's trying to stop another vehicle with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Our rights as citizen's have been hard fought for, some would like to trample over them too easily.

I can however understand the frustration when criminal justice system isn't working.
    There are massive improvements needed but it shouldn't come as a cost to the civil rights that we all have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

kub wrote: »
    I am trying to picture a standard patrol Hyundai car, most especially one of those new Kona's trying to stop another vehicle with one of those.

It may not stop another vehicle but it will slow it down to a crawl, stopping it killing someone.

Advertisement