Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug driving blood test

• 12-06-2020 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Got stopped at road block and arrested and drug driving blood tested.I got results back today .Just zero alcohol.No mention of drugs on the form .Do they also test for alcohol as well as drugs and drug results come later, or did I get the incorrect form back.Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

They test alcohol first and drugs after. You will get another result of the drugs test in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Thanks for the reply .I had one smoke of cannabis .One joint that is .Is that enough to give high enough reading to convict me .I had some the previous night also.I was not expecting to have to drive that evening but felt fine and took the chance .Just no idea how to defend myself if I am charged with this .Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Got stopped at road block and arrested and drug driving blood tested.I got results back today .Just zero alcohol.No mention of drugs on the form .Do they also test for alcohol as well as drugs and drug results come later, or did I get the incorrect form back.Thanks .

Were you arrested for failing the drug test?

Yes and brought to the station and Doctor took blood .Thanks

Thanks for the reply .I had one smoke of cannabis .One joint that is .Is that enough to give high enough reading to convict me .I had some the previous night also.I was not expecting to have to drive that evening but felt fine and took the chance .Just no idea how to defend myself if I am charged with this .Thanks

Impossible to say how one joint affected you. If at the time of driving you were incapable of having proper control of the vehicle they you may well be prosecuted.

If that's the case contact a solicitor

• Advertisement

Phoned my solicitor .He just said to wait for the paperwork and then contact him .Got done for speeding at the same roadblock and thats a 80 euro fine and 3 point .Going to pay that and then hope for the best .Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

talla10 wrote: »
    Impossible to say how one joint affected you. If at the time of driving you were incapable of having proper control of the vehicle they you may well be prosecuted.

If that's the case contact a solicitor

It does not need to be proved that the driver was incapable of having proper control there are two offences. Driving whilst impaired and driving whilst the drug is in the system. It's an offence in itself

It does not need to be proved that the driver was incapable of having proper control there are two offences. Driving whilst impaired and driving whilst the drug is in the system. It's an offence in itself

They still need to prove the person was not in proper control of an MPV in a public place.

S4 Road Traffic Act 2010- 4.— (1) A person shall not drive or attempt to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

They still need to prove the person was not in proper control of an MPV in a public place.

S4 Road Traffic Act 2010- 4.— (1) A person shall not drive or attempt to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

This is definitely correct, as intoxicants can stay in the system for a long time and it is difficult/if not impossible to determine from a blood test when they were ingested. Cannabis can stay in the system for (I think its up to 28 days) so if someone had smoked a j 2 weeks previous, it would be detected in the test but wouldn't be incapable of driving.

It is usually backed up with an impairment test done at the roadside, which would be adduced as evidence as proof of incapable. If there is no test, the defence would or at least should be able to easily put forward a reasonable doubt.

One thing in the above scenario (and in no way take this as concrete), the fact that there was speeding coupled with a possible positive test and eye pupil testing could be proof enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is also a strict liability offence of driving with an intoxicant in your system above a prescribed limit

• Advertisement

there is also a strict liability offence of driving with an intoxicant in your system above a prescribed limit

Apologies, you are quite correct. I forgot about the 2017 update. FOr cannabis its 1ng/ml. Its only for cannabis, heroin and cocaine that the strict liability is there.

The key here is the prescribed limit. The mere presence of drugs in the system is not an offence at a certain level much the same as proving someone has an consumed an intoxicant which renders them incapable of having proper control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

i've seen this happen. With a joint earlier that day, you can say bye bye to your driving licence for 6 months or so.

Oh yeah, and I will wish you all the best of luck in getting insurance afterwards too. :cool::rolleyes:

The key here is the prescribed limit. The mere presence of drugs in the system is not an offence at a certain level much the same as proving someone has an consumed an intoxicant which renders them incapable of having proper control

There are two other things that are important. Firstly the blood test must have been taken within 3 hours of the actual driving. If not, it is highly likely that its inadmissible. Secondly, the B sample should have been offered to the accused for independent testing. If not, then it would be a good argument to get the case thrown out. Hypothetically.

joeguevara wrote: »
    There are two other things that are important. Firstly the blood test must have been taken within 3 hours of the actual driving. If not, it is highly likely that its inadmissible. Secondly, the B sample should have been offered to the accused for independent testing. If not, then it would be a good argument to get the case thrown out. Hypothetically.

I agree but these days Gardaí and designated doctors are so used to the process its unlikely they would make these errors

I agree but these days Gardaí and designated doctors are so used to the process its unlikely they would make these errors

From talking with colleagues who are more used to road traffic cases, I am shocked at the amount of cases that are thrown out for failure to follow procedure. It is definitely something that they go through with a fine tooth comb to see if all the t's crossed and i's dotted. In the scenario the OP outlined for example it did not mention anything about the B sample provided. That could be an oversight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

From talking with colleagues who are more used to road traffic cases, I am shocked at the amount of cases that are thrown out for failure to follow procedure. It is definitely something that they go through with a fine tooth comb to see if all the t's crossed and i's dotted. In the scenario the OP outlined for example it did not mention anything about the B sample provided. That could be an oversight.

or it could be that the OP just didnt mention it as it doesnt become relevant until the A sample proves positive.

or it could be that the OP just didnt mention it as it doesnt become relevant until the A sample proves positive.

It mightn't have been clear, but when I said that could have been an oversight, I meant that it could have been an oversight that the OP didn't mention it. As being irrelevant until the A sample is proved positive, nothing is relevant until the A sample is proved positive but I take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Apologies, you are quite correct. I forgot about the 2017 update. FOr cannabis its 1ng/ml. Its only for cannabis, heroin and cocaine that the strict liability is there.

That would make me think twice about using cannabis. You don't even have to be under the influence of cannabis to end up with a motoring conviction as long as it's in your system.

antix80 wrote: »
    That would make me think twice about using cannabis. You don't even have to be under the influence of cannabis to end up with a motoring conviction as long as it's in your system.

Not really. There is a concentration level requirement for the strict liability to be an issue. If its there but not in the concentration level, it goes back to incapable of driving. The concentration level is high and is indicative of recent ingestion rather than something from a few days previous.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys .I was actually offered the B sample but did not take it .The way I was thinking at the time it seemed pointless .Probably should have accepted it .Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not really. There is a concentration level requirement for the strict liability to be an issue. If its there but not in the concentration level, it goes back to incapable of driving. The concentration level is high and is indicative of recent ingestion rather than something from a few days previous.

Depends on the user. Just read a good study on the detection of THC in blood and urine. In heavy users, THC can be detectable in blood from 0.5-3.2ng/ml more than 8 hours after smoking. Single use (considered as once a week) is below the 1ng/ml after a few hours, again in blood. But to take a quote re Urine samples:

"In regular users, metabolite levels can build up to background levels above 1,000 ng/ml. Many days or weeks of abstinence are required to clear out, as illustrated in the following graph of metabolite levels in test subjects who were regular users"

So blood is definitely the better option at the station, but even then if you're a regular user (daily) or heavy user, you could show above the min level even if you hadn't smoked for a few days with urine.

This is a genuine worry for me. I do smoke (but don't drink, so I'm the devil) but I only smoke when I know I won't be driving until the following day. But going by the 1ng/ml, I'd probably fail even if I quit for a few weeks. In this case, I would imagine evidence of impaired driving would be a necessity, rather than just going with 'it's in the system'.

Anyone know of a case where this was challenged? A google search isn't bringing back anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . .This is a genuine worry for me. I do smoke (but don't drink, so I'm the devil) but I only smoke when I know I won't be driving until the following day. But going by the 1ng/ml, I'd probably fail even if I quit for a few weeks. In this case, I would imagine evidence of impaired driving would be a necessity, rather than just going with 'it's in the system'.

Anyone know of a case where this was challenged? A google search isn't bringing back anything.
    Just as with alcohol, there are two separate offences:

- Driving while impaired, for which it's not necessary to prove any particular blood concentration, just (a) consumption of the substance plus (b) impaired driving.

- Driving while having a blood concentration in excess of the permitted limit. To get a conviction here you need a test to prove the concentration, but you don't need to prove when the substance was consumed and you don't need to prove impaired driving.

In the case of alcohol, 99%+ of all cases are prosecutions for the second offence. A prosecution for driving while impaired is extremely rare. It's like to be the same for cannabis.

You cannot challenge a conviction for the second offence on the grounds that your driving was not impaired, because impaired driving is not an element of the offence. Siimlarly it's irrevant that your consumption of alcohol/cannabis was some time before you were driving; the time when you consumed the substance is not an element of the offence.

I think the core of any objection would be to argue that a concentration of 1ŋg/ml is too low; there is no evidence that driving with this concentration of cannabis is associated with poorer driving. (I've no idea what the science says about this, but I think you'd have to try to make the case that its unreasonable to penalise people for driving with this concentration, because there is no reason to think that driving with this concentration presents any risk to anyone.) However I don't think you'd get very far in court with this; the court would take the view that weighing up the scientific case and deciding at what concentration driving should be forbidden is a matter for the legislature, not for the courts.

I don't know if anybody has ever attempted to challenge the drink-driving laws on the grounds that the level is set too low but, if they have, they obviously didn't succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Exceeding the limit would tick that box.

ted1 wrote: »
    Exceeding the limit would tick that box.
    No, it wouldn't. If they prosecute you for the s. 4 offence they do have to prove that you were incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

Back in the day, they proved this by giving evidence about how you drove the car, or about your state when the stopped you (slurred speech, couldn't walk in a straight line, that kind of thing).

Driving with an excessive blood/alchohol concentration is an entirely separate offence. To get a conviction, they just have to prove the concentration of alcohol in your blood.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think the core of any objection would be to argue that a concentration of 1ŋg/ml is too low; there is no evidence that driving with this concentration of cannabis is associated with poorer driving. (I've no idea what the science says about this, but I think you'd have to try to make the case that its unreasonable to penalise people for driving with this concentration, because there is no reason to think that driving with this concentration presents any risk to anyone.) However I don't think you'd get very far in court with this; the court would take the view that weighing up the scientific case and deciding at what concentration driving should be forbidden is a matter for the legislature, not for the courts.

Interesting. Food for thought. I can't see how a court could rightly convict of the second offence due to the lack of research and proof showing that 1ng/ml is the limit. Indeed, a quick search and reading of some material, and it seems it's basically impossible to set a limit because of too many varying factors. I'm sure 'll find out all about it if I ever get nabbed, but if I do, I'll be sure to post the outcome here! :pac:

One difference I suppose is there have been many tests, studies and evidence that the min amount of alcohol as per current levels can be enough to impair driving, whereas there's nothing to prove the drug limit.

Interesting. Food for thought. I can't see how a court could rightly convict of the second offence due to the lack of research and proof showing that 1ng/ml is the limit.
    The court can easily convict you. It's not the court's job to say what should be illegal; just to say whether you have or have not done the thing the legislature has made illegal. If your point is that this shouldn't be a crime at all, the court will tell you to take your complaint to the legislature. If you want to thrash this out in court, you'll have to mount an argument that, constitutionally, the legislature lacks the power to make this a crime.
    Indeed, a quick search and reading of some material, and it seems it's basically impossible to set a limit because of too many varying factors. I'm sure 'll find out all about it if I ever get nabbed, but if I do, I'll be sure to post the outcome here! :pac:

One difference I suppose is there have been many tests, studies and evidence that the min amount of alcohol as per current levels can be enough to impair driving, whereas there's nothing to prove the drug limit.
    Well, if you want to run the argument, you'll need to do more than a "quick search and reading of some material".

If we assume that there is some level of cannabis concentration is associated with poor driving, then it's reasonable for the legislature to ban driving while having an excessive cannabis concentration. It's then up to the legislature to decide what that level should be, and the fact that it's difficult to draw the line doesn't mean that they have no power to draw any line at all. They're entitled to draw a line, and they're entitled to err on the side of caution and draw it possibly lower than it needs to be rather than higher than it ought to be. The courts are not going to second-guess that.

I think you have a better chance of getting the law changed if you argue that there is in fact a clear scientific case as to what the limit should be, and that it's well above 1ƞg/ml. But that wouldn't be a legal case for striking down the law so much as a political case for changing the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

can somebody tell me what is meant by "strict liability" ?

paw patrol wrote: »
    can somebody tell me what is meant by "strict liability" ?
    it means there is no mental element to the offence; your state of mind is irrelevant. If doing X is a strict liability offence, then to convict you they don't have to prove that you intentionally, or recklessly, or carelessly, or dishonestly did X, or that you did X with any particular state of mind; just that you did X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it means there is no mental element to the offence; your state of mind is irrelevant. If doing X is a strict liability offence, then to convict you they don't have to prove that you intentionally, or recklessly, or carelessly, or dishonestly did X, or that you did X with any particular state of mind; just that you did X.

ah sound. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, it wouldn't. If they prosecute you for the s. 4 offence they do have to prove that you were incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

Back in the day, they proved this by giving evidence about how you drove the car, or about your state when the stopped you (slurred speech, couldn't walk in a straight line, that kind of thing).

Driving with an excessive blood/alchohol concentration is an entirely separate offence. To get a conviction, they just have to prove the concentration of alcohol in your blood.

He was incapable of keeping the car controlled working the legal limit.

ted1 wrote: »
    He was incapable of keeping the car controlled working the legal limit.
    He may or may not have been; it doesn't matter. There will be no evidence about this given at the trial and even if he was in complete control of the car he will still be convicted.

He may or may not have been; it doesn't matter. There will be no evidence about this given at the trial and even if he was in complete control of the car he will still be convicted.

Dependent on amount of cannabis (if any) in his system. If below the ng/ml required for strict liability but above 0 then capability comes into it.

Dependent on amount of cannabis (if any) in his system. If below the ng/ml required for strict liability but above 0 then capability comes into it.
    Ted1 is discussing the case of someone who is above the 1ƞg/ml limit.

He argues that the very fact that he is above the limit shows that he is "under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle".

I'm saying no, it doesn't show that, but that doesn't matter. He is guilty of the offence of driving while in excess of the limit; nobody cares whether he is also guilty of the offence of driving while under the influence to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control. The whole point of introducing the offence based on blood/urine tests was to avoid having to prove incapability of having proper control.

Ted1 is discussing the case of someone who is above the 1ƞg/ml limit.

He argues that the very fact that he is above the limit shows that he is "under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle".

I'm saying no, it doesn't show that, but that doesn't matter. He is guilty of the offence of driving while in excess of the limit; nobody cares whether he is also guilty of the offence of driving while under the influence to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control. The whole point of introducing the offence based on blood/urine tests was to avoid having to prove incapability of having proper control.

Ah ok. In that case, nothing else matters only the level in the system.

It would be interesting if they did any impairment testing at the roadside if the level in the system came in below the 1ng/ml.

• Advertisement

It would be interesting if they did any impairment testing at the roadside if the level in the system came in below the 1ng/ml.

They do already. The roadside test is not as specific usually, just indicates a level (with the Drager for drink, it used to show something like Zero, below and above iirc, but was changed to Yes or No or something similar) and the station test is the final determination. I'd imagine the same is also applied to drugs now.

I still think the arbitrary figure of 1ng/ml shouldn't be enough to convict alone. Would love if there was a case of someone challenging it on the grounds that it's too specific for something that can be (and has been proven) very specific to the individual.

To quote Ryan Vandrey, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at John Hopkins University, "There is no typical window of detection. It is highly variable from person to persona and it varies based on the frequency of use and the amount of use. So there is no way of predicting or knowing how long someone would test positive with any kind of certainty".

I understand that that's the law, the judge has no say in it, I just find it strange that someone can be prosecuted on the 1ng/ml when there is so much evidence to prove that you can't put a figure on it. Surely if there was a legal argument to the law, the case couldn't be concluded without that being cleared first? Would the case not be put on hold if a valid argument was put against it, and wouldn't proceed until the law is upheld or amended? It's not much good putting someone off the road and possibly ruin their life because of an arbitrary figure with no scientific backing?

Does anyone have the research completed by the Irish Government, or at the least the studies they used, to come up with the 1 ng/ml? I don't even know what terms to search to find that. And do we know is it testing for THC, THC-COOH or OH-THC (the liver produced THC that everyone has)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How does the Doctor get informed medical consent to take the blood sample? Given the Duress of prosecution for failing to give a sample?

How does the Doctor get informed medical consent to take the blood sample? Given the Duress of prosecution for failing to give a sample?

By law, you've to provide a sample by signing a form for the doctor. If you refuse, you get charged with a separate offence of failing to provide a sample and it carries the same penalty as if you were charged with being over the limit.

They do already. The roadside test is not as specific usually, just indicates a level (with the Drager for drink, it used to show something like Zero, below and above iirc, but was changed to Yes or No or something similar) and the station test is the final determination. I'd imagine the same is also applied to drugs now.

I still think the arbitrary figure of 1ng/ml shouldn't be enough to convict alone. Would love if there was a case of someone challenging it on the grounds that it's too specific for something that can be (and has been proven) very specific to the individual.

To quote Ryan Vandrey, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at John Hopkins University, "There is no typical window of detection. It is highly variable from person to persona and it varies based on the frequency of use and the amount of use. So there is no way of predicting or knowing how long someone would test positive with any kind of certainty".

I understand that that's the law, the judge has no say in it, I just find it strange that someone can be prosecuted on the 1ng/ml when there is so much evidence to prove that you can't put a figure on it. Surely if there was a legal argument to the law, the case couldn't be concluded without that being cleared first? Would the case not be put on hold if a valid argument was put against it, and wouldn't proceed until the law is upheld or amended? It's not much good putting someone off the road and possibly ruin their life because of an arbitrary figure with no scientific backing?

Does anyone have the research completed by the Irish Government, or at the least the studies they used, to come up with the 1 ng/ml? I don't even know what terms to search to find that. And do we know is it testing for THC, THC-COOH or OH-THC (the liver produced THC that everyone has)?
    Similar questions could be, and no doubt have been, asked about the the permitted blood/alchohol concentration. Isn't this an arbitrary figure? Isn't it true that different people metabolise alcohol differently, may manifest different levels of impairment on the same blood/alcohol concentration, etc? And, yes, all this is true. But (the legislature takes the view that) it's still possible to say that, on average, a blood/alcohol concentration of 50mg/100ml is statistically associated with measurable impairment in driving skills, and therefore a general ban on driving in excess of that concentration is justified. And, so far, the courts have not seen fit to take the view that this is unconstitutional.

Given that, I think the fact that the effects of cannabis on driving-related skills vary from person to person is a complete non-runner as an argument against the law. There's a legitimate public interests in having clear and uniform laws, and in drivers knowing what is and isn't permitted, and if a material proportion of drivers are impaired at a given concentration, that justifies a ban and it's irrelevant that Joe Bloggs may not be impaired at that concentration.

So I think the question comes down to this; is there evidence of a statistically significant link in a material proportion of people between impairment to skills relevant to driving and the 1ƞg/ml limit? I don't know the answer to that question but, if you want to attack the law, I think that is the question you need to ask.

So I think the question comes down to this; is there evidence of a statistically significant link in a material proportion of people between impairment to skills relevant to driving and the 1ƞg/ml limit? I don't know the answer to that question but, if you want to attack the law, I think that is the question you need to ask.

Good point, and from what I've been reading, the answer is no, there isn't. And t'internet is not helping me with regards to finding out who set these limits, how they came to the conclusion, and if all other factors were taken into account. Unlike alcohol in which "blood alcohol content (BAC) has similar rates of absorption, distribution, and elimination across all humans, and there is also a fairly good correlation between BAC and level of impairment", the same cannot be said of THC.

I've no doubt that whomever was behind this limit didn't actually do anything other than look at Germany and go, yeah, we'll use theirs (they test blood serum levels for the 1 ng/ml, unsure if that's what we do here). It just seems like this specific piece of legislation is severely lacking in research. And most likely the main reason it hasn't been challenged properly yet is because (and from experience) if someone (read: scrote) is driving under the influence, it's rarely just cannabis so while they might be able to fight that side of it, the other intoxicants would negate it.

Federal law in 'Merica sets blood/urine tests at 50 ng/ml and breath tests (ie: drugs intoxilyser, similar to the beath intoxilyser) have it at 15 ng/ml. Some states had a 'it's in your system so you're done sunshine' legisaltion, which was quickly removed/revoked/updated as it was constitutionally flawed (equal protection laws).

It's quite an interesting topic, but the ability to easily find the research behind Ireland's decision on limits is non-existent as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't assume that Ireland is copying Germany, since the same limit applies in Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg and (in some cases) the Netherlands. And I think it also applies in most Australian states.

Ther's a couple of possiblities here, not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Ireland could have decided to go for a limit at the lower end of the range of limits used in different countries. While some countries have limits above 1ƞg/ml, few or none have limits below that. Irish legislators didn't want to appear "soft" on cannabis by comparison with other countries, so they adopted the limit that seemed to represent the toughest end of the range.

That just begs the question, though, why that figure has come to be the toughest end of the range.

It could be that, while there's a diversity of evidence about what level of cannabis concentration is associated with driving impairment, no evidence suggests that there is impairment below 1ƞg/ml, whereas there may be at or above that level. 1ƞg/ml therefore represents a very cautious approach; we won't accept any level of risk of driving impairment due to cannabis use.

Alternatively, 1ƞg/ml may represent the lower limit of what can be meaningfully measured. The view may be that, precisely because it's hard to identify a "safe" level of cannabis concentration, the correct approach is a zero tolerance approach: don't smoke and drive. 1ƞg/ml become the limit not because we know that it might be unsafe, but rather because we don't know that it's safe.

On either of these approaches, the confusion/difficulty about identifying the cannabis concentration that is associated with driving impairment becomes, not an argument for not punishing people with low levels, but an argument for not allowing them to drive.

It all looks a bit puritan, and it occurs to me that these approaches may be reinforced by the general illegality of cannabis use. But some of the countries with a very low level - notably the Netherlands - combine a relaxed attitude and liberal laws with regard to cannabis use and a hard line on cannabis-driving.

Be interesting to check if countries that have notably low cannabis-driving limits also tend to have notably low drink-driving limits.

A significant effect of the drink driving laws has been not to detect and punish drink drivers (though they do that) but to discourage drink driving in the first place by helping to bring about a change in attitudes (and they have been pretty successful at that also). And I think something similar may be at work here. The hope is that by taking a very strong line on cannabis-driving, the attitudes of cannabis users can be changed - not so that they stop using cannabis, but so that they separate their cannabis use and their driving.

...not so that they stop using cannabis, but so that they separate their cannabis use and their driving.

And therein lies the problem. Going by what I've been reading/researching, as I would be considered a 'heavy user' (more than 0.5g a day, also up in the air depending on THC levels in the strains being consumed), there's a good possibility that in a blood/urine test, I would be over the limit from 3 days to 3 weeks after stopping, as due to my 'heavy usage' it would take significantly longer for the level to drop below the 1 ng/ml stated.

I completely agree we need to have the laws, but this figure seems to punish those who smoke more, even though the effects are completely gone (similar to drink) within 5-8 hours after smoking.

I can only hope I don't get swabbed at a MIT checkpoint, because regardless of my driving I'll be prosecuted, be put off the road for 6 months and probably never be able to get insured again after that. Just seems unfair based on a figure that apparantly has no proper research behind it (or at least, has differing views/opinions on what would be considered too much to be over). Unlike drink, the heavy users still show under within 12-24 hours.

I haven't smoked in 4 days, but there's a possibility that if I'm swabbed today I could get prosecuted as I used to smoke daily, and quite a bit too.

Sorry for taking over your thread OP! Please let us know how you get on.

It does seem to be the case that cannabis takes longer to metabolise than alcohol, and so cannabis use results in a longer period during which there is an elevated blood concentration.

But if the elevated blood concentration is in fact associated with a risk of impaired driving, that's not really an argument for allowing people to drive with a elevated blood concentration. It may be unfortunate for cannabis users that their drug of choice takes longer to eliminate from the system, but it's not a misfortune that they can ask others to bear on their behalf.

What this does is to raise the stakes on both sides, so to speak. If in fact 1ƞg/ml is associated with a risk of impaired driving, then the fact that a user may be at or above that level for several days after us makes it all the more important not to allow him to drive during that time; the longer the "risky period", the greater the chance of an accident.

On other hand, if it's not associated with a risk of impaired driving, then a restriction which prevents him from driving for several days after using is particularly harsh.

But this tells us nothing, one way or the other, about whether 1ƞg/ml is associated with an increased risk of impaired driving; it just underlines the importance of getting a definitive answer to that question. While you say that "the effects are completely gone . . . within 5-8 hours after smoking", the research you have been able to find doesn't seem to say that. And I should no more accept your word for this than you should accept my word that I'm just fine to drive the morning after a feed of pints and chasers.

Oh I understand totally. There's plenty research out there, but it's all inconclusive because of the way THC works in the body. It can't be compared to alcohol, which has a similar effect on all humans, with only some slight variance depending on age, size, etc. With THC, there are too many variables, and the 1 ng/ml doesn't appear to be a definitive number. As you said, I think they just went with the lowest possible number because they wouldn't have been able to find a definitive answer, which in itself is (to me) is not enough to make and enact a law upon.

I am open to correction, but I'd love to see the research/reasoning for this number to be used by the Irish Legislators, but I can't find it anywhere.

With the current level of uncertainty, I think you have to plump for one of two approaches:

1. The precautionary approach: "Nobody needs to smoke dope. Therefore, we will not let people smoke dope and drive unless and until this is shown to be safe".

2. The [I can't think of a word which means the opposite of "precautionary"] approach: "Everybody needs to drive. Therefore, we will not ban smoking dope and driving unless and until this is shown to be dangerous".

Science can't steer you to one or other of these positions; the dilemma only arises because the science is inconclusive. So which way you jump must depend on some other factor. It could be your personal psychology - are you a risk-averse person or a more adventurous type? It could be personal interest or advantage - those who enjoy smoking will be motivated to prefer the approach which allows them to smoke and drive. It could be personal interest of a different kind - as a public representative, which approach is more likely to cost me votes/my seat? Or it could be a philosophical/ethical convictions - I would rather run the risk of inflicting unnecessary harm on cannabis users (by banning cannabis-driving when this may not be needed to protect the public) than on road users (by not banning cannabis-driving when this may be needed to protect the public) because the cannabis-drivers voluntarily put themselves in this position whereas the other road users do not.

the dilemma only arises because the science is inconclusive.

And yet they are basing the limit on inconclusive science, which to me, is not proper for legislation to be enforced. I'd have no problem if the evidence was there was a concentration of 1 ng/ml or higher coupled with evidence of impaired driving, whereas the way it currently stands, you're done either way. I don't smoke and drive, I treat it like drink, I won't smoke if I have driving that day, but I do smoke to unwind when I know I'm not going anywhere. With the current legislation, I would need to plan up to 3 weeks in advance, which is just not possible.

I won't get into the debate of drink vs weed, there's enough evidence out there to prove one is far more dangerous than the other. I dunno. I suppose I'll find out if I ever find myself in that situation, which hopefully I never will. Would be interesting to see if the law changes once cannabis is legalised, which I'm sure it eventually will be, when the younger politicians get into positions of power and realise the monetary benefit of it.

Funny story on this. A girl I know had a gram of coke and stupidly went drove to buy drink. Stopped at checkpoint when they first came out. Breathalised. Clear. Swabbed for drugs. Clear too. On the one hand delighted. But also furious she had been scammed.

Prior to this, was she "feeling the effects"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

There was a Garda quoted on the drug test , said you'd be alright the next morning

Means nothing though

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭myfreespirit

The Road Safety Authority publishes a Frequently Asked Questions about roadside drug testing that the Gardaí carry out.
    Link here:
    https://rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Anti%20Drug%20Driving/Preliminary%20Drug%20Testing%20List%20FAQs.pdf

These Q&A's talk about how long after smoking cannabis the roadside test can detect the drug:

Quote:

25. Can’t  cannabis  stays  in  your  system  for  days  after  you  smoke  it?

The  Drager  Drugtest  5000 will  detect  9-Tetrahydrocannabinol  (THC),  the  active ingredient  in cannabis,  in  oral  fluid  for  about  6  hours  after  last  use.  

26. How  can  one be  allowed  to  drive under  medicinal cannabis  if  they  have a  note  from their  doctor,  they  are  still  impaired? It  is  expected  that  an  extremely  small  number  of  drivers  will  be  able  to  avail  of  the medical  exemption  certificate  where  their  doctor  lawfully  prescribes  them  with  a product  which  contains  a  medicinal  cannabinoid.    This  certificate  does not  allow them to  drive if  they  are  impaired.  Please see link to certificate  here. A driver  who  tests  positive  for  cannabis  and is  impaired  is  committing  an  offence.

27. I  smoke  cannabis  regularly,  how  do  I  know  when I  am  allowed  to drive after  taking  it? It  is  recommended  to wait  24  hours  after  last  using  cannabis  before  driving.  If  you  are sure  you  are  no  longer  impaired  as  result  of  taking  cannabis  and  more  than  6  hours have  elapsed  since  last  use  it  should  not  be  possible  for  a  Garda  to  detect  impairment and  the  9-Tetrahydrocannabinol  (THC)  level  in  you  oral  fluid  should  be  lower  than  the detection limit  for  the  Cannabis  test  on  the  Drager  Drugtest  5000.

So, if I'm reading this right, it suggests that the Drager test can't detect the drug if you wait 24 hours after consumption before you drive.

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

• Advertisement
Advertisement