Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic State?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

looksee wrote: »
    Right. But Jews are still not Christians...
    Seems the page I read was referring to Jewish Christains. Hrm.

I'll rephrase it to;

Muslims apologising for IS cos they're also Islamic would be like catholics apologising for something protestants in the KKK did, cos they're also christian; pointless, as there are many different denominations under christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Just read more than half of this article http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange, quite long I have to say.

I would like to know whether the facts that are mentioned about Islam and the prophet are accurate or not, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭looksee

alwald wrote: »
    Just read more than half of this article http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange, quite long I have to say.

I would like to know whether the facts that are mentioned about Islam and the prophet are accurate or not, thanks.

I found that article very interesting, but keep in mind that it is Islam as IS sees it, not as all Muslims see it. If Wood is correct in what he says there is no point in anyone giving the more general Muslim beliefs in response, this is what they believe, and they believe they are accurate. No doubt they are wrong but that is another article.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Pardon my grasp of the English language, but the following line from The Atlantic article does appear to claim that ISIS is true Islam:

"The reality is that the Islamic State is Islamic. Very Islamic."

It's completely necessary for Muslims to state that they aren't "very Islamic" and why they aren't. That's what the article in response delves into. Whilst I take on board the rest of what you say regarding seeing ISIS as a theology onto themselves and that's how they should be dealt with, the immediate Muslim response to an article which contains the above quote will be to challenge that rather unambiguous assertion.

Late to an old thread, but I saw this and think it deserves a reply. The problem here is semantic.

The article does not say that IS is the true Islam, but that it is Islamic. Catholicism and Presbyterianism are poles apart, yet both are Christian. Even if other Muslims decry it as Unislamic,that really proves little. Look at the history of Christianity. All new movements were initially claimed to be un-Christian, heretical and so forth, based on parsing of the Bible or Catholic dogma. In any case, it's notions are just as Islamic as the garbage spouted by the Wa'habi Imams of Saudi Arabia which is only marginally less vile, yet nobody in the Islamic world disputes the Islamic credentials of the KSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Surely you don't think punishment of criminals is contradictory to peace. Executing criminals actually keeps peace in society. Otherwise you have chaos.
    Many people would not agree with you assertion that executing criminals keeps peace in society. I don't suppose there would be any point in asking you for evidence of that, would there? While you are at it, perhaps you could define "peace" in this context... When you say "keeps peace in society" what exactly do you mean? I ask because I can point to many countries that have advanced to the point where they no longer believe it is right to execute criminals, and those countries are countries I would consider to be peaceful. Perfect? No, but then no country is perfect.

To be perfectly frank, I would consider any country that put criminals to death to be, by the very fact that it executes people, incapable of being described a peaceful.

MrP

• Advertisement
Advertisement